Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 09:42 PM

222 posts, read 549,970 times

Advertisements

What are some bars or restaurants in Charlotte that are ideal for a "first date" between two young professionals? I'd prefer a place that is cozy, not too loud (because the point is to get to know each other), perhaps with a lounge area where we can sit and chat. A place that serves margaritas would be nice as well.

The reason I'm asking is because it's hard for me to zero in on the perfect place. The places as you get away from the city are often family-oriented restaurants that will feature screaming kids and waiters with "pieces of flair" hanging from their uniforms. None of that screams romantic. But a lot of the Uptown bars can be a little uptight, and some are going to be filled with screaming 21 year olds, which is only slightly better than the screaming children in the suburbs. LOL.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 05:50 AM

170 posts, read 458,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG721 View Post
What are some bars or restaurants in Charlotte that are ideal for a "first date" between two young professionals? I'd prefer a place that is cozy, not too loud (because the point is to get to know each other), perhaps with a lounge area where we can sit and chat. A place that serves margaritas would be nice as well.

The reason I'm asking is because it's hard for me to zero in on the perfect place. The places as you get away from the city are often family-oriented restaurants that will feature screaming kids and waiters with "pieces of flair" hanging from their uniforms. None of that screams romantic. But a lot of the Uptown bars can be a little uptight, and some are going to be filled with screaming 21 year olds, which is only slightly better than the screaming children in the suburbs. LOL.

Any advice?
Here are a few places that may work...not sure if you wanted any ethnic choices

Dressler's - Midtown location
Terrace Cafe - Southpark or Ballantyne location
Red Rocks - Providence & Fairview
131 Main - Ballantyne

Old 08-29-2011, 06:32 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,607,644 times
If I were to take a date somewhere, here are my choices:

HARPER'S RESTAURANTS
BrickTop's Restaurant - Atlanta, Charlotte, Naples, Nashville
Blue Restaurant - Charlotte, NC

They are all very nice places and I haven't run into too many screaming kids in any of them.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:11 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,642,973 times
Crave is my vote...

They are a hookah lounge but the ventilation is good and I think it adds to the cool factor.

They don't serve dinner but it's a great place to get a martini and dessert. They have half off martini specials on Wed. I believe but they also had speed dating which is entertaining to watch.

I would double check to see what the specials are for the night, each night has something different.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:50 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,652,565 times
Villa Antonio - nice, but not stuffy at all!
Carpe Diem - same, really nice place, yet not stuffy, the servers are great

I second the suggestion for Blue, though it's pricey.

Caffe Siena - just like their site says: uptown, not uptight

Old 08-29-2011, 11:55 AM

958 posts, read 1,724,085 times
portofinos on park road

Old 08-29-2011, 05:20 PM

714 posts, read 2,305,892 times
For a first date, I'd go Ballantyne Village, all the way. But that's just me. To me, a BV date night almost feels "spa-like" because you park your car once and just enjoy and relax for the whole evening.

- First, maybe start with a glass of wine at D'Vine Wine Cafe on the second level of BV.

- If you're interested in catching a movie, then move on to Ballantyne Village Theater for a flick. There are some pretty good independent movies there, and you're not (usually) subjected to screaming children or inconsiderate patrons.

- Then for dinner you could do The Blue Taj down on the first level or Villa Antonio if you'd rather Italian. The Mellow Mushroom is opening up soon in the old "Table" space, if you want something more casual. MM might do a margarita, but honestly I don't know. I'm such a beer/wine woman that I just don't know.

- Then for dessert/drinks/whatever you could either go back to D'Vine wine, or for sweets and caffeine head to Rush Espresso or if your date is an ice cream fiend (my husband is) you could go to Kilwins to top off the night.

That's kind of my ideal date night... So I hope it works for someone else.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:55 PM

533 posts, read 1,833,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diertac View Post
For a first date, I'd go Ballantyne Village, all the way. But that's just me. To me, a BV date night almost feels "spa-like" because you park your car once and just enjoy and relax for the whole evening.

- First, maybe start with a glass of wine at D'Vine Wine Cafe on the second level of BV.

- If you're interested in catching a movie, then move on to Ballantyne Village Theater for a flick. There are some pretty good independent movies there, and you're not (usually) subjected to screaming children or inconsiderate patrons.

- Then for dinner you could do The Blue Taj down on the first level or Villa Antonio if you'd rather Italian. The Mellow Mushroom is opening up soon in the old "Table" space, if you want something more casual. MM might do a margarita, but honestly I don't know. I'm such a beer/wine woman that I just don't know.

- Then for dessert/drinks/whatever you could either go back to D'Vine wine, or for sweets and caffeine head to Rush Espresso or if your date is an ice cream fiend (my husband is) you could go to Kilwins to top off the night.

That's kind of my ideal date night... So I hope it works for someone else.
That would make for a very eventful first date! I love BV and once Mellow Mushroom opens up we will get there more often. Yum.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:22 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,208,453 times
Check out Vapiano downtown... good prices , atmosphere, bar, and food....

I prefer to not do dates at higher end restaurants because that isn't me.... I would rather spend my $$ on activities or fun hobbies than a $60.00 steak.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:35 AM

407 posts, read 851,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacey3eb View Post
I love BV
BV could also be Birkdale Village in Huntersville. Good restaurants(Dressler's, Red Rocks, EZ Fusion), multiplex theater, several ice cream shops (including Kilwin's), and shopping. All walkable. Park the car and forget it until departure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte