Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 02:39 PM

6 posts, read 12,677 times

Advertisements

I dont mind commuting 45 minutes. But, I want to live as close to Charlotte as possible. I dont have any children and I am single, so looking for other Black singles. Does anyone know of any in between cities/suburbs to live that are diverse and still give you a Charlotte feel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 03:49 PM

72 posts, read 188,526 times
I would look into Belmont/ Mt. Holly. Hickory is a nice place, but it is not what I would call diverse. The people there are very nice though, don't get me wrong, but I think you are going to want to be much closer to Charlotte for what you are looking for.Hickory is a great small city for families, but it is definitely not Charlotte.

You are going to have a pretty good commute to get what you are looking for. Belmont is probably about a 45 min commute to Hickory. But it is very close to Charlotte- about 20 mins.

I live in Denver/ Sherrills Ford area (western Lake Norman), which is about 35 mins to Hickory. Nice place to live with a family, but I wouldn't recommend it for someone single. The eastern side of the Lake has a lot more going on but you are looking at an hour+ commute.

Honestly speaking, if you are wanting to go out a lot I think you would be better living in Charlotte and dealing with the commute (hope you have a fuel efficient vehicle) if that is possible. Belmont/ Mt. Holly are very nice and very safe but there really isn't much going on during the week. That's not to say you want be welcomed but just don't expect too much in the way of nightlife.

However, if you don't mind the 20 min drive to Charlotte for social outings I think it would be great. And while it's a good ways mileage wise to Hickory, their really isn't much traffic the way you would be going (I-85 to US-321). Pretty much interstate the whole way.

Hope this helps- Good Luck

Old 07-14-2011, 03:49 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,499,645 times
Unless you want to live in Gastonia, then pretty much everything between Charlotte and Hickory is very rural.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:49 PM

This is VERY helpful!! I heard mention of Belmont and Dallas, but Im getting so many mixed reviews. It sounds like the commute maybe worth it especially since I plan on landing other employment within the year. I definitely dont want to be out the Charlotte loop and that is my fear with living on the outskirts. As far as apartments Charlotte sounds a lil more reasonable. I have an Impala so I will be using FlexFuel! =)
Is there a particular part of Charlotte that would be better or and absolute BAD idea with my commute in mind?

Old 07-14-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
Unless you want to live in Gastonia, then pretty much everything between Charlotte and Hickory is very rural.
How would you describe Gastonia? Is the commute from Hickory to Charlotte worth it considering what Im looking for?

Old 07-14-2011, 04:50 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,729,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singleme View Post
I dont mind commuting 45 minutes. But, I want to live as close to Charlotte as possible. I dont have any children and I am single, so looking for other Black singles. Does anyone know of any in between cities/suburbs to live that are diverse and still give you a Charlotte feel?
Live in Gastonia. Commute up 321 to Hickory for work. Take 74 (Franklin Blvd/Wilkinson Blvd) into Charlotte. You might find things to do in Gastonia, too.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Live in Gastonia. Commute up 321 to Hickory for work. Take 74 (Franklin Blvd/Wilkinson Blvd) into Charlotte. You might find things to do in Gastonia, too.
Will Gastonia give me what Im looking for: Diversity, AA single men, shopping, nightlife... etc??? U get the point. Where I live is more important than the commute for me, but I like to think ahead and dont wanna put my foot in my mouth later, if the commute is MORE than I bargained for

Old 07-14-2011, 05:43 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,729,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singleme View Post
Will Gastonia give me what Im looking for: Diversity, AA single men, shopping, nightlife... etc??? U get the point. Where I live is more important than the commute for me, but I like to think ahead and dont wanna put my foot in my mouth later, if the commute is MORE than I bargained for
Without kids look in Gastonia, but not in the NW corner. Crime maps will tell you why on that.

If you're making megabucks that you want to commute from Charlotte (& can afford the gas), do so if you wish. Gastonia has over 70K people. You can find a nice man in a town of 200.

There is plenty of shopping right there in town. The downside is that Gastonia isn't the prettiest town around. It was the defacto capital of the textile industry, which has gone overseas, for the most part. Gastonia is working on reviving their downtown. There are lots of things to get involved in in Gastonia & nearby Kings Mountain as far as arts & cultural activities go.. Plenty of people commute from Gastonia to Charlotte. It's easy enough to go there for entertainment.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:15 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,565,732 times
mod note
thread relocated from North Carolina
forum

Old 07-15-2011, 05:01 AM

249 posts, read 458,903 times
Exit 18 or Sunset road exit is probably where you want to look at. That area is very diverse and there are alot of amenities over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte