Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2011, 09:22 AM

22 posts, read 31,048 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am a single, African American professional (work for the fed govt.) female looking for a change of venue. I currently live in Virginia Beach (went to college in the Hampton Roads area) But I am looking for a change, I've heard that Charlotte is a great place. But I would love to get some feedback from residents about what it is really like there.

I am looking to move in March 2012 and will be renting the first couple of months, not looking to pay more than 700-800 a month for apt. What are some great neighborhoods?

Quick Background

Orginally from NYC, but lived in Va for last 10 years, bored here, no real nightlife,major sports teams,(How is Charlotte)?

How is the job market for fed employ, state gov work, or non-profit?

What is the social scene really like, any good indications for single women looking to settle down in the next few years?

How is the cultural set-up as far as neighborhoods, salons, civic/cultural events, (i.e. Sorority,Urban League,political commitees)?

Any helpful and positive feedback would be great
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 10:43 AM

221 posts, read 431,770 times
You will get bored very fast in Charlotte. Move to DC or Atlanta

Old 05-16-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocNY View Post
You will get bored very fast in Charlotte. Move to DC or Atlanta
DC is actually overrated, have spent some significant time there and not really into Atl?

Is Charlotte, really a wash, can you be more specific reagrding the boredom?

Old 05-16-2011, 12:43 PM

348 posts, read 850,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by threediva View Post
DC is actually overrated, have spent some significant time there and not really into Atl?

Look further down the thread page and you will see a thread called something like "To Those Who Find Charlotte Boring ...". Many people do not find it boring, but some do. Read it to get a feeling for both sides.

Have you visited Charlotte before? If not, you should. It's fine to get feedback on an internet forum, but you really need to visit in order to get a feel of the place. In terms of living arrangements, check out craigslist to get an initial sampling of what's out there and at what prices. Also, there should be several chat threads here about good and bad places to live, along with a smattering of threads on apartment complexes. I would fill you in, but, I have only visited Charlotte twice. Loved it btw, and am 90% sure I'll move .... just want to have enough $ saved first.

Good luck with your search.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:46 PM

Thanks, i will check those out

Old 05-16-2011, 12:49 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,845,702 times
Quote:

Actually DC might not be a bad choice but since you say its over rated then Iguess Charlotte is your choice good luck with the move

Old 05-16-2011, 12:50 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,818,003 times
Quote:
Hi,

I am a single, African American professional (work for the fed govt.) female looking for a change of venue. I currently live in Virginia Beach (went to college in the Hampton Roads area) But I am looking for a change, I've heard that Charlotte is a great place. But I would love to get some feedback from residents about what it is really like there.

I am looking to move in March 2012 and will be renting the first couple of months, not looking to pay more than 700-800 a month for apt. What are some great neighborhoods?

Quick Background

Orginally from NYC, but lived in Va for last 10 years, bored here, no real nightlife,major sports teams,(How is Charlotte)?

How is the job market for fed employ, state gov work, or non-profit?

What is the social scene really like, any good indications for single women looking to settle down in the next few years?

How is the cultural set-up as far as neighborhoods, salons, civic/cultural events, (i.e. Sorority,Urban League,political commitees)?

Any helpful and positive feedback would be great

Charlotte is a very nice city to call home, but it's nothing like Virginia Beach - no military presence and not a lot of federal jobs.

I would suggest you take a few days off and come this direction. Spend some time in and around Charlotte to get a feel for things and see if it appeals to you. Many people consider it a great family oriented city, so some single people don't always feel it offers them as great of a lifestyle.

In addition, if you like pro sports - Charlotte does have the NFL, the NBA, NHL minor league hockey and minor league baseball
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: