Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 05:52 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,277,617 times

Advertisements

About how often does it snow in Charlotte and how often do the roads ice over? When it does, are all the windey, hilly roads slippery to drive on? Do they have the salt trucks here? Do they have "snow days?" Thanks. MJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 07:00 AM

825 posts, read 2,821,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
About how often does it snow in Charlotte and how often do the roads ice over? When it does, are all the windey, hilly roads slippery to drive on? Do they have the salt trucks here? Do they have "snow days?" Thanks. MJ

I've been here since July '03. I've not witnessed snow/ice very often...2-3 times a winter. The roads can be slippery because only the major roads receive salt and this depends on where a person lives. Most secondary roads in counties surrounding Charlotte don't get plowed/salted.

Most people stay home when this happens, either because they are uncomfortable driving in these conditions or because they don't trust other drivers. Union County, NC had no snow days in the calendar last year, they used teacher workdays instead when school closed for two days in January.

The picture below was February 2004. It was a freak snowstorm and all melted within 2-3 days.
Attached Thumbnails
Ice & Snow In Charlotte???-scan.jpg  

Old 08-06-2007, 08:33 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,277,617 times
Love the photo! Thanks for the info. MJ

Old 08-06-2007, 08:55 AM

8,962 posts, read 20,388,156 times
This is why we are selling our house now and moving from metro Denver, CO (Parker) to the Charlotte area.........lot less snow and a much "milder" winter than here. We have lived here since June 2002 and was in the March blizzard of 2003 and the Holiday Blizzard this past December '07, AND have plenty of photos/video of other snowstorms between 2002 and now that "dumped" inches/feet of snow on us. The locals here say that this area has "mild" winters, it's obvious they have never been to the Charlotte area where there "is" mild winters.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:25 PM

540 posts, read 1,707,032 times
union county had 2 snow days last year - 1 was for ice on jan. 18th (moving into new house day, of course) and a snow storm 2 weeks later. 2-3 inches.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:44 PM

673 posts, read 2,681,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
I was told that ice is more common than snow. We closed on our house at the end of January, stayed for a week, but didn't move in right away. While we were there, it snowed, and it was awesome. I think that was the only snowfall for the winter. Anyhow, the morning that it snowed, my husband had a job interview in Charlotte (about a 45 minute drive for us). Coming from FL, we have only seen snow a few times in our lives, so we sure haven't driven in it! It was snowing when we left in the morning around 6AM. By the time, we left the job interview, the roads were covered, and we were petrified to make the drive home. We made it ok, and when we got home our house was covered in snow. I built my first snowman - oh and my husband got the job!

Old 08-08-2007, 07:44 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,172,833 times
hard to talk about snow and ice when you could legitimately fry an egg on the sidewalk.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:08 PM

435 posts, read 1,815,755 times
Just make sure you get bread & milk at the store....if you don't act quickly you'll be out of luck.
The big thing, as others have said, is the black ice on the road. If at all possible I don't go out. Not that I don't think I can safely drive, its the other people I worry about.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:12 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,916,085 times
Hey LoveBoating, were you around for the Denver blizzard of '82? That was a doozy!!

Sunny, I don't know about you, but I was out of power for a week with that '02 ice storm. Fortunately, I worked in media at the time and TV/radio always have power (and some have showers!)....

Old 08-09-2007, 09:02 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,456,364 times
The 2002 storm was bad. I know a few people that were without power for two weeks. I was lucky and only lost power for a few days. I heard on the radio that Concord Mills had power so I decided to go there for some heat and food. It was packed! I've never seen that many people there. I bet it rivaled the friday after Thanksgiving crowds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte