Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 06:40 AM

5 posts, read 13,663 times

Advertisements

This weekend my wife and I had the pleasure of having tires slashed on both of our cars and Garmin Nuvi GPS units stolen from both vehicles. Yes, I know--our fault for not having the cars locked!

Garmin cannot track individual units like a stolen iPhone, but I was wondering if anyone had any luck locating a stolen GPS in the Charlotte area either through pawn shops, Craigslist, or some other means? Thought I'd ask before I spend the money on a new unit.

I'm still seething over the theft and as interested in locating the culprit as I am in getting the units back! It was not a professional. We believe it may have been a teen in our own neighborhood. :-(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 06:58 AM

149 posts, read 410,397 times
We had a GPS taken from my wife's car late last year... apparantly a lot of people in my neighborhood has items taken. We filed a police report. So far, we have not been able to get the device back. We also beleive it was some folks in the neighborhood that went around and pulled the door handles on cars until one opened.

I mentioned it in another thread, but I would assume that eventually, when someone tried to update the GPS maps online, it would trigger an alert somewhere. I also know that some phones were taken, and it should be very easy to track where they are. My guess is that the police, unfortunately, have more important things to do.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:44 AM

461 posts, read 985,616 times
Honestly, with the amount of effort it would take to do that, you're better off just buying new ones. They're dirt cheap now that phones are taking over, and you'll probably end up with a much better unit.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:04 AM

550 posts, read 1,809,035 times
Why leave cars unlocked with GPS units in them? Was it by accident? Just curious...

I think the possibility of finding them is slim, unless you have the serial numbers for them, in which case the cops may be able to send them out to keep pawn shops looking for them. I think in most cases, when something is stolen, the crooks try to dump them off asap - before anyone can be looking for them. That's the case with just about anything they take (this according to a recent police conversation at our HOA meeting).

Old 02-14-2011, 10:41 AM

415 posts, read 1,150,883 times
You know what would be wonderful? Say you report a GPS stolen. Then, Garmin could send a signal to the GPS that totally messes up the navigation, and everytime you try to use it, it routes you to the roughest part of town, or sends you to the most congested route or dirt road, etc.

I guess they do that already anyway.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:57 AM

2,947 posts, read 7,021,045 times
Just a heads up in case the GPS was stolen why you were out and about away from home --- if your GPS units had "Home" as one of your saved destination points, the culprit now knows where you live. You'll want to be extra observant about securing your home.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:40 PM

149 posts, read 410,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfort Food View Post
You know what would be wonderful? Say you report a GPS stolen. Then, Garmin could send a signal to the GPS that totally messes up the navigation, and everytime you try to use it, it routes you to the roughest part of town, or sends you to the most congested route or dirt road, etc.

I guess they do that already anyway.
It should navigate them to the nearest police station!

Old 02-14-2011, 03:38 PM

679 posts, read 614,952 times
It may not be something you want to think about just yet, but if you goto Laalo (Laalo - Daily Deals, Deal Of The Day) they have a Garmin deal going on right now where you can get one for $45.95.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:04 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,136,713 times
GPS units are the number one item stolen from cars. It's not smart to leave them in your car at all, locked or unlocked. That's like leaving money on your dash.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:31 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,985,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
Just a heads up in case the GPS was stolen why you were out and about away from home --- if your GPS units had "Home" as one of your saved destination points, the culprit now knows where you live. You'll want to be extra observant about securing your home.

See, I take that as a positive.

Go ahead, click home, come on, I'll be here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte