Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 08:53 AM

153 posts, read 478,366 times

Advertisements

I recently saw a similar post about why someone loved another area. So, I thought I would chime in about mine, since I don't see a lot of Lincoln County representation on here.

We drove ourselves insane checking out every area anywhere near Charlotte for nearly a year, and very firmly decided this was the area for us. The commute from my house to the center of uptown is 30 minutes. We are just barely over the Lincoln County line on the east side, in the community "The Gates at Waterside Crossing." It feels like we live in Huntersville, but we don't pay Meck. taxes and don't deal with a lot of traffic or congestion. We are five minutes to Birkdale, five minutes to public lake access, about a mile from the new Hwy 16, which I have not tried yet. So, the commute time will be less on that.

In our community, we have about an equal mix of families and retirees. It is kind of an up-scale middle-class community, I guess you'd say, where people take pride in their homes and are very friendly regardless of where we are all from. This is NOT an advertisement for my community, by the way, as there are others around in different price ranges. This is just my perspetive and an example from up here. LOL The average price range in here is roughly high 200's to about 375. It is considered an up-scale community and lots of people want to be in here. I know my house cost about half of what my friend's house in a trendy South Charlotte area cost, and it is twice the size. The construction is on the custom end in here.

To us, this is the perfect location, with award-winning schools (which you don't pay more for) and convenience, but still calm, safe, friendly, and very affordable. The schools are nationally award-winning, and include a great new charter school. If you don't like public in general, you can send your kids to a wonderful, affordable private school (Southlake Christian Academy) and still have money left over vs. what you will pay for housing and taxes in most other areas. For the very little guys, we are about a mile from a 4-Star preschool that charges $145/week. This is considered pretty expensive up here, too. (We were paying $220 in Huntersville.) With plenty of convenience for shopping, eating, recreation... I would recommend anyone come up here and check it out. Test the commute straight into town in 16, too. It is awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 10:05 AM
ny4

67 posts, read 235,944 times
Hi!! Glad somone posted on Lincoln County..
Have not read all that much on here at all..we are relocating, and have looked in the Denver area in May..going back this weekend to buy...actually a friend of a friend also lives in the "Gates" ..nice to hear a great second opinion on the community as we will be looking there over the weekend..Any additional info would be appreciated if you would like to send a PM..

Old 07-17-2007, 10:32 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,578,373 times
carolinagirrrls

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Keep it a secret !!!!

lol

I love the small town feel of every town in that county and if you go east of hwy 311 up towards Vale NC most beautiful rolling hills just watch out for my partner cousins out on their ATVS

When Christmas comes around I will tell post where the brightest and tackiest christmas decorations are. I love a good tacky decorated house lol.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:28 AM

5 posts, read 10,264 times
Just wanted to give my two cents as well. While we haven't experienced living there just yet, my fiance and I are closing on a home in The Gates next week and are very excited about living in Lincoln County. I echo all of the reasons mentioned above by carolinagirls in terms of why we decided the location was best for us. Looking forward to meeting the neighbors.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:45 AM

29 posts, read 142,361 times
Default Just like Huntersville

Thank you for your review!
I am in Huntersville now and want to buy a home within the next year. Your summary describes exactly the type of area I'm looking for. Especially the schools! We are fortunate to have been zoned to a wonderful elementary school and would only consider moving to an area with an equally impressive curriculum. We would love to stay here, but the acreage is small and getting more and more expensive.
I drove through Lincoln County to Denver (for the fireworks show ) and thought it looked very rural. I guess I may have to explore your side of town!

Old 07-17-2007, 07:34 PM

142 posts, read 608,807 times
Loving Denver as well!! My favorite communities there are Sail View, Pebble Bay, and Verdict Ridge.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:45 PM

29 posts, read 142,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave037 View Post
Loving Denver as well!! My favorite communities there are Sail View, Pebble Bay, and Verdict Ridge.
Funny thing is, I saw the sign for Verdict Ridge and got a chill. That name makes the community sound awfully cold and unfriendly to me. I imagined all these mean-faced people who just watch your every move, staring with faces like this>>
Should have been a friendlier, fruitier name like Cherry Grove, Apple blossom, Banana Splits....lol

Old 07-17-2007, 08:41 PM

Sail View, Pebble Bay, and Verdict Ridge are lovely, too, if you don't have to drive to Charlotte and are in a significantly higher price range. Main drawbacks for us were the locations and some of the peripheral "scenery" around those, especially the huge Port-a-Potty facilty on the way to Sailview. LOL! If we did not have to get out much or drive to Charlotte, and could afford lake lots in Pebble Bay or Sailview, it would be beautiful. Unfortunately, just some of those lots are far more than we paid for our house! If any of you buy a lake lot in there, maybe you will be our friends and have us over?

Old 07-18-2007, 05:36 AM

132 posts, read 449,745 times
Default one...two...six....SEVEN Rs?

carolinagirrrrrrrls--what's the latest on the new Hwy 16?

I think the old 16 would prohibit me from living in the area (I agree, though, beautiful area you got over there!), due to the commute headaches--but after the new Hwy is in....hmmm.....

Last edited by UpeoWaMacho; 07-18-2007 at 05:38 AM.. Reason: Because I was stupid......

Old 07-18-2007, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpeoWaMacho View Post
carolinagirrrrrrrls--what's the latest on the new Hwy 16?

I think the old 16 would prohibit me from living in the area (I agree, though, beautiful area you got over there!), due to the commute headaches--but after the new Hwy is in....hmmm.....

Our exit is OPEN! Yay! You can jump on the new 16 right from Hwy 73 now, about a mile down the road.

I am kind of a woman of habit, though. Since the old 16 nightmare starts up above us, I have never had any problems with it from here. My commute has always been very easy - less than 30 minutes. Also, from the back entrance to our community, you can zip down a back road and end up right where the old 16 turns into four lanes. So, I have not even tried the new 16 yet. I will have to do that and report back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte