Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 10:59 AM

4,588 posts, read 6,419,537 times

Advertisements

or spark it! especially at Harris Teeter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 11:27 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,722,983 times
Its funny this thread came up......was saying the other day, since I've been living in NC I haven't seen a real good ice storm!

(not that I jinxed myself......oops....who said that.....)

Old 12-14-2010, 11:33 AM

46 posts, read 101,904 times
So this is why it was so darned crowded at the grocery store when I went shopping for .... milk and hamburger buns . Really, I needed these things.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:44 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,025,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieDog View Post
So this is why it was so darned crowded at the grocery store when I went shopping for .... milk and hamburger buns . Really, I needed these things.
Real men BBQ in ice storms.... RAWR

Old 12-14-2010, 12:12 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,451,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLShorty4lyfe View Post
Being new to the area, what does this mean for employees? And i saw freezing rain and a little snow last week, didnt seem like anything major. Am i missing something?
You need to check the inclement weather policy at your company. Some places will have delays, while others will operate on a normal schedule.

I'm not sure about in Waxhaw, but I saw sleet and snow last week but not any freezing rain.

Sleet is snow that melts as it falls but refreezes before it hits the ground. It looks like small ice pellets. It will bounce off hard surfaces and may accumulate if there is a significant amount. Freezing rain is snow that melts as it falls and refreezes on contact when the temp. is below 32º. It looks like regular rain but leaves roads, trees, cars etc. with an icy coating.

Last edited by NCgirl; 12-14-2010 at 12:22 PM..

Old 12-14-2010, 12:26 PM

1,076 posts, read 2,368,460 times
ahh, thank you for that explanation. You can tell a Floridian from any other dweller huh? Ok, it was sleet and snow. I didnt see any inclement weather policy so i guess that means to work in the ice i go. AWD Subaru will have to work to its full potential. Thanks again.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:20 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,864,549 times
Quote:
ahh, thank you for that explanation. You can tell a Floridian from any other dweller huh? Ok, it was sleet and snow. I didnt see any inclement weather policy so i guess that means to work in the ice i go. AWD Subaru will have to work to its full potential. Thanks again.
If there's ice, do all of us (and yourself) a favor, and take a sick day! Having been raised in the north, and being stationed in Colorado, I am fully aware of how challenging it can be driving in snow- with ice, it becomes at least 10 times harder. AWD doesnt mean you can drive in inclement weather- it just means that all the wheels spin all the time. Dont let having AWD fool you in to thinking you can drive on slippery roads- especially given that you are from an area that does not get frozen roads. The life you save could be mine!

Old 12-14-2010, 01:34 PM

1,513 posts, read 3,359,953 times
Quote:
If there is any amount of ice on the ground there is NO way I'm driving anywhere. And I lived in Illinois for over 15 years, have driven in some nasty blizzards, and I will never drive on ice if I can avoid it. I too have AWD on one of my vehicles. It cannot be done. Trust me. STAY HOME.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:52 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,947,412 times
Shorty you may have AWD but most of the others that you encounter both on the road & leaving it will not. Stay home & wait for it to melt.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:52 PM

748 posts, read 1,771,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
And I lived in Illinois for over 15 years, have driven in some nasty blizzards, and I will never drive on ice if I can avoid it.
As a lifelong midwesterner, I'm not concerned about my ability to drive in ice or snow. It's y'all I'm worried about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte