Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 11:27 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Thanks! I got home in the fog at 6am yesterday & had computer problems.
There you are! Glad you made it back safe and suond

Knew you could tell RonRon more about the schools out your way!

It actually sounds like Kings Mountain may be right up her alley even moreso than Gastonia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 11:30 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronron1616 View Post
I saw a house that I loved in Mt. Holly. Everything Isee about Gaston County I like just not sure what part is the best and what school is good.
The problem with Mt. Holly can be the schools.

It is a nice looking area, and a very good commute back into Charlotte, but with schools as a top priority you'll want to be careful and do your due diligence.

You should really look at Kings Mountain

Last edited by lovesMountains; 09-13-2010 at 11:39 AM..

Old 09-13-2010, 11:51 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Thanks alot... Since we don't have full info on where in Charlotte his company will be we are looking at all areas around Charlotte. What are the names the the best Middle and high schools in those areas. I want good education, not too big of a school, and also not a snobby school.
Here's the bugaboo. (Middle school)

Cleveland County has a high performing high school which is county wide. Kings Mountain has 2 high performing elementary schools. Middle school is not bad, but not high performing, overall. However, kids at the high performing high school are coming out of the middle schools.

There is always the option of Gaston Day school, which is private, & located in Gastonia.

My suggestion would be to contact Cleveland Early College High School & ask them how they feel about Kings Mountain schools versus Gaston Day School. You must reside in Cleveland County to attend it. Cleveland Early College High School I would opt for Cleveland County over Gastonia only because of this high school. Cleveland County has lower taxes than Gaston County.

I think that middle schools are kind of a wash between South Gastonia & Kings Mountain, but Cleveland County has the edge for high school. Kings Mountain High School is not considered to be high performing but the graduates are attending colleges. Many commute to UNC Charlotte.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:20 PM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
The problem with Mt. Holly can be the schools.

It is a nice looking area, and a very good commute back into Charlotte, but with schools as a top priority you'll want to be careful and do your due diligence.

You should really look at Kings Mountain
The schools arent that bad.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:46 PM

22 posts, read 33,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Here's the bugaboo. (Middle school)

Cleveland County has a high performing high school which is county wide. Kings Mountain has 2 high performing elementary schools. Middle school is not bad, but not high performing, overall. However, kids at the high performing high school are coming out of the middle schools.

There is always the option of Gaston Day school, which is private, & located in Gastonia.

My suggestion would be to contact Cleveland Early College High School & ask them how they feel about Kings Mountain schools versus Gaston Day School. You must reside in Cleveland County to attend it. Cleveland Early College High School I would opt for Cleveland County over Gastonia only because of this high school. Cleveland County has lower taxes than Gaston County.

I think that middle schools are kind of a wash between South Gastonia & Kings Mountain, but Cleveland County has the edge for high school. Kings Mountain High School is not considered to be high performing but the graduates are attending colleges. Many commute to UNC Charlotte.
I not really looking for major high performing schools, just a good education - such as: good teachers that teach and work with the kids...
My 8th grader does well in school with very little problems, My 6th grader is IEP but in regular classes (so I don't want her to fall behind which she is starting to do here at her school now - here 6th grade is middle school) and my 3rd grader so far is excellent in school - would do well with a challange.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:13 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
I not really looking for major high performing schools, just a good education - such as: good teachers that teach and work with the kids...
My 8th grader does well in school with very little problems, My 6th grader is IEP but in regular classes (so I don't want her to fall behind which she is starting to do here at her school now - here 6th grade is middle school) and my 3rd grader so far is excellent in school - would do well with a challange.
In Kings Mountain, elementary is K - 4. 5th & 6th are all together, 7th & 8th are all together, then in 9th grade they move to high school. City of Kings Mountain is a small town with about the same size population in unincorporated areas called Kings Mountain. They all go to the same schools. I believe that Kings Mountain schools also serve students from Grover which sits on the SC border. (The state line actually cuts it in two.)

Old 09-13-2010, 09:29 PM

529 posts, read 1,202,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Problem is "good schools" and only a budget of $125,000 do not go together inside Charlotte very often.

There ARE great places inside of Charlotte to live - most of Charlotte is very suburban feelings with lots of trees and green spaces. But if you need to buy something under $150,000 you are better off in one of the surrounding areas like Concord, Gastonia, Huntersville ect
Based on what I read here, foreclosures abound in Charlotte and housing prices have crashed, so the OP could probably pick up a McMansion for about twenty bucks and change.

Srsly, I agree with above re: finding cheaper homes in Huntersville or Concord for the best combo of price and school. Further north (30 miles from CLT), there's Mooresville, but I'm not familiar with school quality there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte