Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 05:25 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,913,547 times

Advertisements

Funny how all my friends who live in uptown and Myers Park are the ones who told me about the show...and were making fun of it. They ask me when I am moving away from the land of the Beverly Hillbillies.

My sister and I co-own a boat actually, so your assumptions are wrong. I just don't think celebrating excessive drinking and partying is making the area look good and the proof is when successful Charlotte professionals are laughing at their "redneck neighbors to the north." I don't think the show is reflective of how things really are. It's shot to make things look a little more wild than it is.

Just sayin'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 08:17 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxMan View Post
Do you think that these people care what your condo living friends in MP think about them?
Whether they care or not was not kmway's point. Her point was that people in other parts of the city see that show and find it distaseful because of the total emphasis on heavy drinking.

I wouldn't expect the people participating to care about much of anything after they have been drinking like that video shows. But whether they care or not, the rest of us looking at it think that kind of stuff is kind of embarrassing for the people involved. It's not the way some of us want to see Charlotte represented in the media, that's all.

Kmway was responding to what TinaFaye said about just because some people are partying like that "doesn't mean others would think poorly of them". Well, she's wrong. Actually people seeing video like that glorifying alcohol DO think poorly of them. And it reflects poorly on us as a city.

There are obviously two sides to this issue and kmway has already agreed to disagree - maybe we should just leave it at that okay?

Old 06-30-2007, 09:12 PM

5 posts, read 17,102 times
Loves, have you seen the show? NO? wow go figure. It has very little to do with drinking and alcohol and more about the lake lifestyle. Did you see the episode covering jet ski races, or the band interviews they did, or did you see the first one where they had a stunt team doing car tricks?

didn;'t think so

Go complain about something else, someone just ran a red light in charlotte, and i think there is some dirty naughty things going on right now on MTV, please go write to them right away

Old 06-30-2007, 09:21 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaFaye View Post
Loves, have you seen the show? NO? wow go figure. It has very little to do with drinking and alcohol and more about the lake lifestyle. Did you see the episode covering jet ski races, or the band interviews they did, or did you see the first one where they had a stunt team doing car tricks?

didn;'t think so

Go complain about something else, someone just ran a red light in charlotte, and i think there is some dirty naughty things going on right now on MTV, please go write to them right away
How old are you? Seriously, you talk like a teenager.

Yes, I saw the show. This was the second "episode" I watched just to give it a chance. I have no complaints, only an opinion that excessive drinking being glorified on tv is distasteful to me. Obviously I am not the only one with that opinion, but like kmway I am content to "agree to disagree", so please stop the hostile posting.

Old 07-01-2007, 07:45 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,913,547 times
Quote:
excessive drinking being glorified on tv is distasteful to me
I agree lovesmountains-- can you also imagine a show that is broadcast that shows people drinking while sitting on top of their motorcycles or cars? The implied notion would be that those people would drink and later drive. Well it's the same thing here: excessive drinking on motorized watercraft...drinking and boating is illegal and dangerous, yet this show glorifies heavy drinking on watercraft. It would be nice if they were responsible and had messaging about designated boat operators or something.

The whole culture of the show is embarrassing. Looking at that shows why even though I live at LKN, I only socialize uptown. The young professional bank crowd does not get half naked and drunk in front of a camera.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte