Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 06:57 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,366,938 times

Advertisements

Bangkoko Ocha is at Carmel Commons on 51.

I really don't know why Pho 98 closed a while back. It was such a popular and excellent restaurant and the owner got so much great local publicity. Then the quality suddenly started dropping, she was never there, they put out a lame buffet table and the health department gave them really bad scores. Then they were gone. I'm assuming the one in Gaston County is the same one but I haven't confirmed it. Too many good pho options in Charlotte now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 07:58 AM

550 posts, read 1,355,358 times
Vietnamese - Ben Thanh, Lang Van, Pho Hoa (I've been going to these places pretty much my whole life; Lang Van when I was young, then Pho Hoa, and now I go to Ben Thanh all the time). Lang Van and Ben Thanh are owned by the same family but I heard that they don't get along haha.

Chinese - Dim Sum

For good ethnic foods, go to where the locals go.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:07 AM

457 posts, read 1,177,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
That's easy! Cafe Malaya in Elizabeth. haven't been in a while but I'v eneve rbeen disappointed.

I've also heard good things about Meskerem. It's an Ethiopian restaurant on Kings Drive. I'm kind of intimidated to go because I have no idea what Ethiopian cuisine is like.

For Indian, I like Bombay Grill on 51.
Benn to Meskerem & liked the food. Don't be intimidated, it's a buffet so you're bound to like something. Use the pancake-like things to pick up your food instead of utensils or ask them to show you. It's not super well decorated there, it's kinda all about the food. When I went it was half empty & I'm sure the owners would be all too happy to show you their ways.

p.s. Bangkok Ocha is closed, drove past it yesterday. Someone was mentioning them. But also in that area is one of my favorite Thai places called Viet Thai Noodle House.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:02 AM

Bangkok Ocha is closed??????? Are you kidding me? I was there a few weeks ago and had to wait quite a while for a table. Please tell me you're mistaken!

Old 09-02-2010, 07:34 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Bangkoko Ocha is at Carmel Commons on 51.

I really don't know why Pho 98 closed a while back. It was such a popular and excellent restaurant and the owner got so much great local publicity. Then the quality suddenly started dropping, she was never there, they put out a lame buffet table and the health department gave them really bad scores. Then they were gone. I'm assuming the one in Gaston County is the same one but I haven't confirmed it. Too many good pho options in Charlotte now.
Not Gaston County. It opened in Kings Mountain a couple of months back, in the city, so just across the boarder into Cleveland County. Interesting choice of locations if they have inspection problems because I've heard from several people that the Cleveland County inspectors are real sticklers.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:58 AM

I'm still trying to recover from the news that Bangkok Ocha may have closed. That seems impossible. It's always so busy!

Regarding Pho 98, I forget when she opened the restaurant on South Blvd. It was kind of a whacky location but it was always pretty busy. This is 7 or 8 years ago. There was an article in the paper about how she had come from Vietnam after the war and put 2 or 3 of her kids thru college from the profits she'd earned at the restaurant. She even had the pennants of the schools behind the cash register. Duke and some other very competitve school. Then about 2 1/2 years ago, it seemed like she lost interest. She was never there. One time we went in and there was one young man working who spoke not one word of English, although half of the people in the restaurant were English speakers. Made for a very long and annoying ordering process. Then they put in the buffet. Then the health department scores started plummeting. By that time we had discovered better pho resources in Charlotte and stopped going and then about 2 years ago it closed. The storefront is still empty. I wish her luck in Kings Mountain.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:07 AM

416 posts, read 925,931 times
Quote:
I'm still trying to recover from the news that Bangkok Ocha may have closed. That seems impossible. It's always so busy!
Bangkok DID NOT close! I was just in the rite aide over there.

I will say I have enjoyed this place as well, but, was turned away one week night 1/2 hour before closing time. Not even an offer just to get take out.
Just "were closed" as he practically ran to the front door to "greet" us before locking the door.

And remember, they brake after the lunch service for a few hours and re-open for dinner. Maybe thats when the other poster drove by. Or maybe it was 1/2 before closing time, so they assumed it had closed!

So no worries chuckles34 they are open!

Old 09-02-2010, 01:47 PM

Whew!

Another ethnic restaurant that's pretty good is Koichi on North Sharon Amity. They have Chinese food and sushi on the menu. They have a seafood hot and sour soup that is out of this world and we love their chicken lettuce wraps. The sushi is okay. The last time we were there the air conditioning wasn't working properly and it was a huge bummer.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:27 PM

457 posts, read 1,177,391 times
Sorry people. It's the one next to Fresh Market right? I wanted to get lunch & saw it was closed. Either I have the wrong restaurant or looked at the place next door. Oops!

Old 09-02-2010, 02:36 PM

I think there's another store over there that recently closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte