Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2010, 10:47 AM

3 posts, read 5,210 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'll be moving to Charleston this summer, and I could really use some advice on where to live.

As the area goes, I'm a single young professional and would like to live somewhere within a reasonable driving distance of the city. At the same time, safe walking access to coffee shops and such is also desirable.

As to the apartment, I am looking for a well-equipped apartment with built-in a/c, washer and dryer at least in the building, parking, etc. I don't necessarily want something "with character" if that means the apartment is older -- I would prefer to add my own character to a recently renovated, relatively new, or otherwise clean and modern place. I'm willing to spend a reasonable amount on an apartment that fits the bill.

Any suggestions on areas, apartments or both? I'd really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 11:15 AM

6,081 posts, read 9,120,563 times
Well here is my advice,

you're not really going to find any kind of walkable community "in terms of coffee shops" unless you live either in downtown, the east end, or elk city "west side"

Of those options, I would choose downtown. On Capital St. newly remodeled apartments are located above cafes, shops, and restaurants! Of cource it is close to the mall, clay center, and most of the major businesses.

If you are interested in a place that is outside of dowmtown, but still with a reasonable drive, I suggest Kanawha City. Every service needed, and for the most part avoids rush hour traffice "I-64 towards Huntington"

What kind of job are you interested in???

Old 01-30-2010, 11:26 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, Chris. I actually already have a job lined up! I'm from the Eastern Panhandle and left the state for undergrad and grad school. Being from the Eastern Panhandle, though, I really don't know anything about Charleston. I don't mind moving to a place I'm not familiar with as long as I have something lined up to do, but I can't imagine moving to a new city with no plan in place.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:46 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,790,059 times
Bliz try using google earth-- go to taylor bookstore and pan around the city on capitol street. Neat toy!

Old 01-31-2010, 08:05 AM

Thanks, harborlady. That would give me a lay of the land, and that's important.

Anyone else? I'm interested in hearing about specific apartments or apartment complexes as well as about where I should live neighborhoodwise.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:34 PM

10 posts, read 23,796 times
Where is Taylors Bookstore? My Daughter is a avid book reader, and she loves to hit all the bookstores. TIA

Old 09-19-2010, 07:48 AM

6,081 posts, read 9,120,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS58 View Post
Where is Taylors Bookstore? My Daughter is a avid book reader, and she loves to hit all the bookstores. TIA
Taylor Books is on Capitol St. in downtown. It is a great book store with a cafe and a nice art gallery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston