Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2006, 04:43 AM

109 posts, read 440,354 times

Advertisements

I have been looking over the towns and cities of wv and i really like charleston. I like the ideal of jobs ( I work in accounting). Can anyone tell me the positives and negitives of charleston. I read there are the air isnt the cleanest hey i live in chicago you probably cant get any worse air. My main concern is my kids i have a boy and a girl and want to raise them without the gangs of the city of chicago has to offer. I have read the crime rate and such can anyone tell me is there places in charleston that are bad area's. I am looking to rent a house and i don't want gangs and drugs around my kids. I am white non-hispanic are there places i shouldnt go into. In chicago there are place you can go into because of race and gangs. Any help will be apprieated. thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2006, 07:26 AM

9 posts, read 63,678 times
Default I live about an hour from Charleston

The air is bad because of the Dupont factory...dont' know whatis in the smoke out of the stacks..chemicals ?

it is ok as far as a small town..I would choose to live towards Teays Valley or Scott depot..Huntington is nice..a college town..

airport is TINY...no jets..have to catch a plane to Detroit and transfer..higher rates too. My son flew to Va bch and it cost $400 & took 8 hours !

South charleston is nice , good shopping and homes.

People are different..don't care much for themselves..overweight , smokers,

sorry I can't be more positive.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:13 AM

82 posts, read 120,690 times
I have absolutely no idea what the above post is talking about.

Air quality is OK... if you can deal with Chicago, you can deal with Charleston. Yeager Airport is obviously not an international hub, but is well-connected for its size, with direct flights to Atlanta, Chicago, Charlotte, Dallas, Detroit, Houston, Orlando, Philadelphia, and D.C.

As with any city, Charleston has its good and bad areas. South Hills is a great neighborhood in one of the best school districts in the state -- but homes are priced to reflect that. The East End (where I personally live) and Edgewood areas have lots of beautiful historic homes, and you might have some pretty good luck with rental properties in those areas. If you choose to live out of city limits, South Charleston has some decent areas. Lots of people do commute to work from Teays Valley/Scott Depot to the west, but you're looking at 1/2 hour-plus of heavy traffic each way at rush hour. There are also some more rural, though still easily accessible, areas to the north (Elkview, Big Chimney, etc.) In terms of areas to stay away from, mostly, I would recommend you stay out of the lower part of the West Side (the "flats" nearest the river, south of Washington Street)

If you're into arts and nature, I think you'll like it here. Charleston has a substantial (and growing) arts-and-culture scene for a city its size, which is especially active spring through fall with artwalks, concerts, and festivals. It's also not far from several parks and forests.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:21 AM

16,690 posts, read 15,697,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubmom View Post
The air is bad because of the Dupont factory...dont' know whatis in the smoke out of the stacks..chemicals ?

it is ok as far as a small town..I would choose to live towards Teays Valley or Scott depot..Huntington is nice..a college town..

airport is TINY...no jets..have to catch a plane to Detroit and transfer..higher rates too. My son flew to Va bch and it cost $400 & took 8 hours !

South charleston is nice , good shopping and homes.

People are different..don't care much for themselves..overweight , smokers,

sorry I can't be more positive.
Pretty much everything in this post is wrong. The air isn't bad. All the chemical plants and power plants cleaned up their stacks no later than the mod-1970's.

While the airport is small by some standards, the runway is longer than many small city airports, and mos of the flights are indeed on jet aircraft. There are a few budget flights, but not many destinations. More are coming.

You must have run into an entirely different bunch of people than I have over the last 60-some years.

BTW, it would make your points a little more believable if you had some links to statistics or facts or surveys, etc.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:11 AM

6,088 posts, read 9,124,662 times
Mensa, That post is from 2006.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:45 AM

82 posts, read 120,690 times
Holy smokes, Chriscross, you're right. I can take a bit of responsibility I guess. Somehow this ended up on the top of my board list and I didn't check the date before I responded. I truly didn't mean to necropost.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:40 AM

6,088 posts, read 9,124,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnilmo View Post
Holy smokes, Chriscross, you're right. I can take a bit of responsibility I guess. Somehow this ended up on the top of my board list and I didn't check the date before I responded. I truly didn't mean to necropost.
LOL I make that mistake a lot. No harm no foul!

Old 09-14-2014, 08:24 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,885,585 times
You could live in the worst parts of Charleston and still be better off than in Chicago.

The airport doesn't have the largest jets for all flights but Delta does have a few to Atlanta. I believe one is even an Airbus so the claims of no jets is from someone not in the full know. Flights to Va Beach from any where that is not a hub would be expensive and lengthy to make the connections.

As mentioned George Washington HS in South Hills is generally listed as the best HS in WV more often than any other HS. I think Capital has a great emphasis on the arts and South Charleston has decent academics as well.

The air is considerably better than it used to be. Now you have to live pretty close to the plants to smell much at all and there are not near as many plants as there once was.

Come on down and try a weekend. You will see how much better off you would be living in Charleston over Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston