Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 07:04 PM

363 posts, read 2,026,148 times

Advertisements

Hi. I was wondering about people's experiences in/of Charleston West Virginia. I am partcularly interested in the general feeling there. I have stats on crime,weather, jobs etc... I guess, I mean everything you can't get from statistics. Thank you all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2006, 09:05 AM

9,191 posts, read 34,015,513 times
I am from Charleston (now in Atlanta), but I go back from time to time, continue contact with various people there, and lived there until I was 19 years old.

Charleston is overall a decent place to live. Keep in mind that while it's a smaller city, there are certain "big city" aspects to it - not all of them good. Being one of very few cities in the U.S. with three interstate highways running through the city, the traffic is a little higher than other cities of the same size (but not comparable to a large city), and crime is also a bit higher than normal, due to criminals that "pass through", stop to do their thing, and keep going, etc. Also, due to the fact there are three major chemical plants in the immediate area, air quality hasn't always been rated at very high quality, and the job market there heavily depends on that trade - most other jobs are the $7.50 to $8.50 mall job types.

If you want tons of exciting night life and broadway shows however, Charleston just 'aint it. It's still one of those towns where downtown dries up at 5pm (except for bums). There are a couple of larger festivals each year however, and those are popular.

The downtown area went through renovations a number of years ago and is very pleasant. Brick walkways, trees, etc. It sits along the Kanawha (Can-knaw-wa) River, and there are various parks and places to run and jog along the river. A mall (Town Center Charleston - 180 stores) is downtown as well. The new Clay Center for the Arts is nice - having a planetarium, museum, and featuring various stage productions.

The surrounding area is filled with forests, state parks, etc. Lots of recreational opportunities in West Virginia in general, from hiking, photography, to boating, to skiing at one of the resorts.

Old 05-21-2006, 04:23 AM

97 posts, read 769,233 times
Default RE: Charleston"s flavor?

I too, am from the metro Atlanta area, and I don't like it here at all. Five years ago I moved here from the Elkins, WV area to be with family. Really, in my opinion, I think you should check out the Hurricane(HUR-A-CAN), WV area in Putnam County, because that area is right in between Charleston and Huntington. As a result of being in between, Putnam County is one of the fastest growing areas in the state. Also the city of Hurricane's crime rate is one of the lowest in the entire state. I am thinking about moving there myself.

Old 07-12-2006, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 2,885 times
Default Love Charleston

I'm formerly from Atlanta, GA too. I love Charleston. The nightlife does exist - the town doesn't dry up at 5PM. The people here are very friendly and there is NO rush hour in Charleston - (maybe a rush quarter-hour)

Putnam Co in my opinion is for commuters - it has become a big flat development of cheaply built 3,500 sq+ that are spaced too close together. There really is nothing to do in Putnam county except for eating and Wal-Mart shopping - or driving back to Charleston. The traffic in Putnam is horrible! I stay away from the headaches of suburbia.

Charleston has about 50,000 residents - if you are looking for a job in WV in the accounting field Charleston would have to be the place to go.

I wish you luck!

Old 07-21-2006, 07:42 AM

9 posts, read 63,882 times
Default honestly, there is no flavor

Charleston WV has about as much flavor as Kroger kool aid. No night life unless you think hanging out at Outback on a Friday night has meaning.

I get the attitude from Chareston and West Va overall that they are a peaceful type people, and feel they should be treated accordingly ..only I see them being taken advantage of, and have a coal field mentality to not cause trouble or make waves..so they are continually being *****cuted. Health care is ancient..some of the shopping centers are trashy, LITERALLY! You have to step over fast food bags and straws to get to your car. I have never seen so many smokers in my life..and it seems they feel they can smoke when ever or where ever they like...I have to push the smoke away sometimes if I walk into my water company or the local bowling alley. Ridiculous.

I hate to describe it, but there is a sort of backwoods hilly billy flavor..it seems the citizens are happy to go to their mall job, then at 5 go home, eat some biscuits and gravy, smoke a cigarette, and go ATV'ing or sit and watch tv...on Wed night, go to the Baptist church for gospel.

Old 07-24-2006, 07:19 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,404,415 times
cubmom,
arent you being alittle tuff on the beaver dear? everywhere in america hasnt caved into the pc of the 90's. and so the hillbillies work at the mall and dont go to the opera at night.... sheeze you seem very critical here,.....maybe you need to do some self soul searching into,what and why you are who you are....i think you could stand to be vastly improved , come down off your im better than them attitude and meet some real folk!

Old 08-14-2006, 01:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,883 times
I am originally from Charleston, but unfortunately moved to Maryland. I have spent alot of time in Baltimore, Philly, Wilmington DE., DC, as well as many other cities, and let me tell you, there is no better city than Charleston IMO.

In Charleston, you can drive through without being shot at, carjacked, or beaten. I wish I could say the same about the other cities I have been to. I love Baltimore, but it is a dangerous place to be at night.

As far as the "hillbillies" and their mall jobs, I have to ask: Whats wrong with being content to earn a paycheck and go home? I like the simple feel of the city, it's quite refreshing. People are alot nicer in WV than any other place I have ever been to. Theyre good downhome people, and yeah theyre a little old school, but thats what I like. I'm gonna go have a cigarrette and some biscuits. Later all!

Old 08-30-2006, 06:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,881 times
The Charleston area is not a place you decide to move to, it's a place you fight tooth and nail to move out of.

Old 09-01-2006, 07:35 PM

30 posts, read 156,019 times
Doesn't Charleston have the highest suicide rate in the country? If you want some info on Charleston, read this article: http://www.dailymail.com/story/Life/...in+the+nation/

Old 11-13-2006, 10:24 PM

3 posts, read 8,718 times
We just visited Charleston for the first time. Found the people there very friendly and upbeat about their community. We liked the overall feel of the city, the easy access, the shopping available downtown, the new farmers market and the city arts facility. So, how about some info on the business side of this community; see any real changes happening, like are the chemical companies really leaving?; are there any new businesses taking residence in Charleston?; does the newer/renovated downtown area have a chance to attract business, during or after 5PM?; how about good restaurants? we had a great dinner at the dairy deli downtown, and it was 7 pm? Everything in life has trade-offs; what do you think the trade-off's are for living in Charleston?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston