Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 12:40 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times

Advertisements

Vec I tend to agree with your assessment of Gov Manchin- he seems fair and balanced to me taking the considerations of all into account for the best. Had he given a thumbs up to too many projects for say Huntington and Morgantown, I believe we'd be in as hurting a shape as other states who have over extended themselves. I also appreciate the fact he makes an effort to report what he's working on in his state of the state postings at his website. Rare to know what's on the desk today for just about any politician since I've been a voter. I really like the transparency.

I don't think WV coal could ask for a better defense in democrat territory. I believe he's capable of expressing how vital coal is especially now, and that clean coal technology is a meaningful step in the right direction. Time will tell, but careful not to presume people mean ill. Their reality on a piece of paper is a vastly different thing than the reality on the ground. We know that, but most outsiders do not. They've seen coal miners daughter and heard a century's worth of sad tales swallowing hapless natives into the ground. Coal itself is associated as the cause of poverty. That's what they know. You've got to meet them there if you mean to get your point across.

R- taxation subject. I believe the current rates here are not exorbitant. When citizens expect higher levels of services delivered to their door, the premiums can get seriously out of hand. I believe average americans have fairy tale concepts about capitalization. Money does not factually grow on trees for anyone. Investors are less interested in gambling or charity than they are in being paid a dividend, and that's the price of anything large scale folks mean to fund. See the payout schedule of a mortgage? Government is obliged to payout schedules just like business and individuals. To perpetuate the mythology that government is magically able to defy known physics doesn't help, it hinders. We are ALL of us-- biz, gov't, and citizens-- in the same boat subject to the same rules.

Taxes as a measure of government failure? How about a measure of an unrealistic constituency or one that insists on immediate gratification? Can't shift the blame off to st elsewhere... this is our state, and we're responsible for who we put in office to represent our interests.
Should WV'ns vote for the promise of 1,000 more highways running throughout the state delivered in 2 yrs or less in the mistaken belief it equals a guaranteed increased economic activity, we'll be paying the price for that together even if I'd be voting against it because I already know how destructive it would be. You already know how destructive it would be too.

Instead of trying to sell your particular brand of politics, why not just share those cautionary tales of how it happened elsewhere and let them decide for themselves? Fore warned is fore armed. The rest starts getting into guano country, and I'm hoping to avoid that in my otherwise friendly & respectful neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
I really hate it when posters talk badly about out Senior Citizens like they really know what we are thinking and doing.
Beautiful 70 degree days feels like spring to me, corgis. Whatcha doin?

Old 03-09-2009, 01:10 PM

300 posts, read 819,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Instead of trying to sell your particular brand of politics, why not just share those cautionary tales of how it happened elsewhere and let them decide for themselves?
I complimented Kanawah County and the City of Charleston for doing something right, and you criticize me?

Next time, try reading what people say, before you start typing.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.ochre View Post
Next time, try reading what people say, before you start typing.
Your failure to comprehend and/or unwillingness to be self aware isn't actually my ignorance. Odd habit folks have looking for an enemy where there was none.

Perhaps you need to shake off orlando a bit more?

Old 06-11-2009, 08:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,599 times
I was thinking of taking a transfer there from Ft Worth,TX. You people are freaking me out !!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston