Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 05:41 AM

6,165 posts, read 9,266,919 times

Advertisements

These are going to be sweet.Charleston unveils proposal for Boulevard bike lanes* - Kanawha County - Charleston Daily Mail - West Virginia News and Sports -

pictures
Charleston unveils proposal for Boulevard bike lanes* - Kanawha County - Charleston Daily Mail - West Virginia News and Sports -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 06:28 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,928,196 times
Hopefully Cars will stay out of them. A lot of times people drive in them.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:34 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,442,439 times
If they're going 40 mph, or thereabouts, they've got to go over an 8 in curb first.

This is a win for the people of Charleston. It's not just getting bike lanes - it's creating a culture of non-motorized transport. Whether it's bikes, pedestrians, what have you, the City is making strides to encourage the pedestrian element.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:52 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,184,996 times
When the bike lanes are part of the roadway, that is a problem. These bike lanes will be part of the sidewalk area, above the curb and separate of the roadway.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
When the bike lanes are part of the roadway, that is a problem. These bike lanes will be part of the sidewalk area, above the curb and separate of the roadway.
That is dangerous. Most fatal bike accidents happen when a biker goes off the sidewalk onto the road since motorist don't really watch the sidewalk.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
If they're going 40 mph, or thereabouts, they've got to go over an 8 in curb first.

This is a win for the people of Charleston. It's not just getting bike lanes - it's creating a culture of non-motorized transport. Whether it's bikes, pedestrians, what have you, the City is making strides to encourage the pedestrian element.
I agree this is a great thing wherever this happens.

I love my car but for short distances it is better to walk or bike and biking improves quality of life greatily, is fun, and is healthy.

Charlestob also is flat which is nice, well parts of it.

I recommend a cyclocross bike if you just want one bike. It can be both a hybrid and a singletrek bike. If you dont mind having two get a mountain and a street bike.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:00 AM

79,911 posts, read 44,505,863 times
Cool. Our bike lane is coming along but slowly. The vast majority of it is well away from vehicular traffic. In the end it's supposed to go from both ends of Marietta, through Williamstown and up to and through Parkersburg.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:13 AM

6,165 posts, read 9,266,919 times
Now all we need is the proposed rails for trails project running through the West side and East End that will connect with the bike lanes. Plus the extension of the Elk River trail to Coonskin Park

Old 09-04-2013, 08:39 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,442,439 times
I love my bike. I got a Trek 7.2 FX a couple of years ago and it is wonderful. I finally had the chance to take it down to Charleston a couple times over the summer and ride through the city. Honestly, it's one of the most bikeable places I've been to, and I can't wait til I can take my bike down to Huntington and ride there. It's great to see the urban centers finally getting on the ball with becoming, you know, urban.

And pknopp, what bike lane are you talking about? The trail in Marietta or the proposed routes in Parkersburg? Last I heard, PKB just agreed on a land deal to allow for future extension up to 12th street (you know, because that's safe), with an ultimate goal of reaching Vienna via a trail atop the earthen part of the floodwall, if I'm not mistaken. My dream is to have a large bike network between Marietta, Williamstown, Vienna, Parkersburg, and the surrounding residential areas, with connections to the North Bend trail and an extension from Parkersburg to Athens to, eventually, Columbus.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:19 PM

79,911 posts, read 44,505,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
I love my bike. I got a Trek 7.2 FX a couple of years ago and it is wonderful. I finally had the chance to take it down to Charleston a couple times over the summer and ride through the city. Honestly, it's one of the most bikeable places I've been to, and I can't wait til I can take my bike down to Huntington and ride there. It's great to see the urban centers finally getting on the ball with becoming, you know, urban.

And pknopp, what bike lane are you talking about? The trail in Marietta or the proposed routes in Parkersburg? Last I heard, PKB just agreed on a land deal to allow for future extension up to 12th street (you know, because that's safe), with an ultimate goal of reaching Vienna via a trail atop the earthen part of the floodwall, if I'm not mistaken. My dream is to have a large bike network between Marietta, Williamstown, Vienna, Parkersburg, and the surrounding residential areas, with connections to the North Bend trail and an extension from Parkersburg to Athens to, eventually, Columbus.
Marietta already has one that goes from the river to the fairgrounds in one direction and if you go across the bridge in Williamstown and look to your right you will see where they are coming along on expanding it in the other direction. It should be a beautiful ride along the Ohio River up to somewhere near where Wal-Mart is.

The talk is expanding along the river from there in Williamstown to Vienna to Parkersburg. Parkersburg has been working on their end.

Work on walking, bike trails being completed - NewsandSentinel.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Community Information - Parkersburg News and Sentinel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston