Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 10:08 AM

35 posts, read 72,966 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am considering a trip from Augusta GA to Ohio in late February. I'll be travelling with 3 kids, ages 11 to 14. I originally was going to stop at the Beckley mine, but it appears it will be closed. We will probably stay overnight in Charleston. Does anyone have any tips on what to see along our route? Thanks,
Martha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 10:29 AM

16,684 posts, read 15,688,422 times
The museum at the Capitol Complex Cultural Center comes to mind. It wouldn't be much out of your way to go to the Mystery Hole. The kids would like it. Don't know if it is open this time of year. They might like the Avampato Museum at the Clay Center, too. Mountain Stage is usually broadcast here on Sundays. You could easily check and see what events are on at the Civic Center, Municipal Auditorium and the Clay Center.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:51 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,239,405 times
West Virginia's Arts and Crafts Showcase, Tamarack, is located at Exit 45 off of I-77/64 in Beckley.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:37 PM

6,081 posts, read 9,120,563 times
I'd agree with the two above! Tamarack (Beckley) and the Cultural Center (Charleston) are two sees for WV histoty and culture. I'd also recommend in Charleston taking in a planetarium film at the Clay Center. It's a nice modern science and art museum, but the planetarium is always fun and educational.

Lots of good local restaurants in the city for an Charleston original dinner. It really depends on what you like, but for a family I'd suggest one of the Italian restaurants like Joe Fazio's or Leonoro's. Other good ones are Bridgeroad Bistro, Bluegrass Kitchen, Pie's and Pints, Fifth Quarter, and Vandelia Grill.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:06 PM

198 posts, read 413,752 times
I also agree with the idea of the state museum at the capitol complex and the Clay Center. Although I love to go to Tamarack and the adults in your party probably would also, I'm not too sure that your kids would be too interested in it. One other idea that comes to mind is a tour of Blenko's glass factory in Milton, WV which is only about 25 minutes from Charleston.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:41 PM

515 posts, read 778,761 times
Take Rt. 19 North just out of Beckley to Fayetteville and cross this bridge. There's a visitors center after you cross the bridge and a nice walkway that will lead you closer for a breath taking view of the gorge and the underside of the bridge.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:53 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,075,647 times
Also, in addition to the the Clay Center, they have the Electric Sky Theater and are currently showing movies about Antarctica, Dinsaurs, and Jupiter. If you haven't been to see a movie there i highly recommend it. It's very similar to the IMAX settup. You are seated in very comfortable recliners and get to lay back and look up at a giant curved screen. The images that come in from your peripheral vision makes for a life like experience.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:52 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,154,088 times
It would be a cold trip to see the New River Gorge bridge in Febraury/Early March, not to mention the chance for snowy weather.

A trip to see the Mystery Hole would probably be interesting for everyone involved in the trip, however, it is a little more than out of the way from Charleston. A trip there may depend on how much time you have you can give while in Charleston.

As others have mentioned, a trip to the Clay Center and the WV State Museum would be your best bet.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:22 PM

35 posts, read 72,966 times
These are all great suggestions! I will make a brief stop at New River Gorge, go to the Science Museum and planetarium. We will stay at the Embassy Suites downtown. We like healthy cuisine- not necessarily vegetarian (although that would be a great choice too), but food that is fresh, flavorful and not too fatty. Any ideas of a place to eat in Charleston?

Old 02-15-2013, 02:32 PM

6,081 posts, read 9,120,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odysseyqueen View Post
These are all great suggestions! I will make a brief stop at New River Gorge, go to the Science Museum and planetarium. We will stay at the Embassy Suites downtown. We like healthy cuisine- not necessarily vegetarian (although that would be a great choice too), but food that is fresh, flavorful and not too fatty. Any ideas of a place to eat in Charleston?
Soho's in the Capitol Market is awesome! Bridgeroad Bistro is also nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston