Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 05:22 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,888,257 times

Advertisements

The Clay Center of Arts and Science is a great place for kids. Right off Exit 100. The museum at the Cultural Center across from the Capitol Bldg is also very nice with a great history of WV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 02:43 PM

198 posts, read 414,123 times
Fifth Quarter is a downtown restaurant that is within walking distance of Embassy Suites. They have a really nice salad bar with a good selection of items. You can get steaks, chicken, etc.

Embassy Suites is also across the street from the Charleston Town Center Mall. There is a food court there in addition to several full restaurants. (Tidewater, Chili's, Outback, Panera, etc.)

Charleston Town Center :: 3000 Charleston Town Center, Charleston, WV. 25389 :: 304-345-9525

Old 02-19-2013, 12:31 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,079,467 times
Just it case it hasn't been thrown out there yet, the Embassy Suites is also within walking distance of Capitol Street and the unique dining options there.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:48 AM

16,722 posts, read 15,720,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
Just it case it hasn't been thrown out there yet, the Embassy Suites is also within walking distance of Capitol Street and the unique dining options there.
Adelphia Grill and Pies & Pints are next door to each other.

Adelphia Sports Bar & Grille

Pies & Pints Pizzeria

Both are locally owned and operated. Pies & Pints has 3 locations now and one or two more on the way, but it is not a national chain that you can find anywhere.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:42 AM

515 posts, read 779,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odysseyqueen View Post
These are all great suggestions! I will make a brief stop at New River Gorge, go to the Science Museum and planetarium. We will stay at the Embassy Suites downtown. We like healthy cuisine- not necessarily vegetarian (although that would be a great choice too), but food that is fresh, flavorful and not too fatty. Any ideas of a place to eat in Charleston?

I hope you enjoy your visit and it would be great hearing about your trip. Pics would be nice too...;>)

Old 02-22-2013, 07:21 PM

89 posts, read 135,899 times
Nobody's mentioned it yet, but log on to weather.com prior to your trip. From Wytheville Virginia past Beckely WV on 77 is like a bypass through Canada - it not unlikely that you could encounter foul weather (i.e snow/ice) through these locations - and it's mountainous and curvy - so be careful......and check the weather.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:52 PM

708 posts, read 1,159,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westvirginiafan1 View Post
Nobody's mentioned it yet, but log on to weather.com prior to your trip. From Wytheville Virginia past Beckely WV on 77 is like a bypass through Canada - it not unlikely that you could encounter foul weather (i.e snow/ice) through these locations - and it's mountainous and curvy - so be careful......and check the weather.

Good Looking out WVAFan, spot on! I would just like to mention to the OP that from Wytheville, Va/Big Walker Mtn Tunnel to East River Mtn Tunnel/WV state line is a speed trap. The main spot to watch is Bland County, Va with both County Police and Virginia State Police that prey on unsuspecting travelers speeding thru.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:31 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,242,953 times
Another "watch the weather" stretch is on I-77, climbing from Mt Airy NC up to the Blue Ridge Parkway at Fancy Gap VA. Slow moving trucks, frequent fog, rain, ice.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:13 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,566,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
Another "watch the weather" stretch is on I-77, climbing from Mt Airy NC up to the Blue Ridge Parkway at Fancy Gap VA. Slow moving trucks, frequent fog, rain, ice.
Correct - last time I went up through there in Nov. last year, the fog was so bad going up to Fancy Gap, I could see about 100 feet, at most, ahead, and it was about noon! I had to slow down to about 35 mph and was scared to death some speed demon idiot would rear end me in the fog!

Old 03-01-2013, 03:09 PM

6 posts, read 8,895 times
Default reply

I'll try to be positive here ummm maybe a show at the clay center or something at the capitol other than that aint nothing here to see
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston