Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 04:09 AM

6,068 posts, read 9,091,285 times

Advertisements

Officials eye apartments at former Holley Hotel site* - News - Charleston Daily Mail - West Virginia News and Sports -

Wish this would work out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 07:07 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,419,973 times
When the article was up on the Gazette website, someone made a comment that cried about the lost parking spaces.

I hate that when something progressive and good for the city - for the downtown even! - has the possibility of coming to fruition, the first thing a lot of people, in this state overall, complain about is parking. I bet they don't even realize the number of parking garages within a few blocks' walk. Just because you can't park two feet in front of a building doesn't mean there isn't ample parking within a short walk; you wouldn't even need to break a sweat! This is why I'm so fed up with my hometown of Parkersburg. It is a sea of parking lots. I recently found out the city tore down the most beautiful building that ever stood in downtown Parkersburg (the old Parkersburg City Building) in the 70s or 80s and sitting there ever since has been a parking lot. At the intersection of 5th and Market, the two main thoroughfares in the town. That's inexcusable.

In any event, if this happens, this is a major step forward to attracting young professionals, and other people in general, to downtown Charleston. That block is one of the worst in the downtown core and I can't wait to see it built up.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:32 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,070,678 times
That would be a very nice addition to downtown. I used to work near that location for 7 years, and it always seemed like something was missing there. In the middle of downtown, just a big sea of parking.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:24 PM

City manager unveils plan to attract young professionals to Charleston* - News - Charleston Daily Mail - West Virginia News and Sports -

An update on the project. While the physical plan for the apartment building isn't as concrete, the overall plan to recruit young professionals downtown is a bit more specific and maybe one of the most innovative things to come out of Charleston in a while.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:17 PM

Heres another one

Apartments, shops planned at old Holley Hotel site* - News - The Charleston Gazette - West Virginia News and Sports -

Old 08-22-2012, 08:26 PM

Beat me to it, Chris!

Old 08-22-2012, 08:50 PM

I don't think that the building should feature retail because it would hurt current locations seeking stores/restaurants. Maybe something different like an organic food market or a pharmacy in downtown would work under the apartments.

40-60 apartments would be a huge plus for downtown, I just hope this thing gets pulled off!

Old 08-22-2012, 09:04 PM

I think 40-60 apartments is awesome, and I think I saw in an article that they may be shared apartments, so that's a possible 80-120 people at max occupancy. I love the incentive to stay in the area after the 3 years by offering a loan payment for a house in the area - again, something crafty in a great way. And I agree that general retail isn't the preferred route. It would be cool if the organic food shop that opened in the East End chould move to this location (as well as another specialty service) while a Trader Joe's or something of the like opens up in the East End!

Old 08-23-2012, 12:46 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,070,678 times
This seems like a very good plan in the works. Thanks for the updates. Charleston could really appeal to a lot of people in the future if changes like this continue to be made.

I was reading another forum a few months back, and there were some pictures posted of downtown and some of the skyline, and the number of people on that forum from around the country that were surprised by the appearance of Charleston really amazed me. I think it has the potential to be a hidden gem.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
This seems like a very good plan in the works. Thanks for the updates. Charleston could really appeal to a lot of people in the future if changes like this continue to be made.

I was reading another forum a few months back, and there were some pictures posted of downtown and some of the skyline, and the number of people on that forum from around the country that were surprised by the appearance of Charleston really amazed me. I think it has the potential to be a hidden gem.
I think your dead on, but right now is a hidden gem with the potential to be one of the best capital cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston