Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 01:03 PM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times

Advertisements

The Town Center Mall is undergoing a major inside remodel, which will feature new flooring, lighting, and seating. More great things for a mall that is modernizing and growing with business.

Mall undergoing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 01:26 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,420,369 times
This is great, but why in the world are they putting carpet on the second floor? That just sounds like a horrible idea for the traffic it will endure.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:56 PM

79,914 posts, read 44,178,048 times
I liked the old fountain. I liked it better before it was changed last time. I would prefer the fountain over computer outlets. I also realize that I'm likely in the minority.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:30 PM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
This is great, but why in the world are they putting carpet on the second floor? That just sounds like a horrible idea for the traffic it will endure.
The Huntington Mall put carpet in, and as far as I know its held up well. I think it will look alot better then the brick we have now.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:48 PM

1,642 posts, read 2,420,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
The Huntington Mall put carpet in, and as far as I know its held up well. I think it will look alot better then the brick we have now.
This is true. The exposed concrete isn't far behind that old tile in aesthetics!

Old 07-15-2012, 01:50 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,071,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I liked the old fountain. I liked it better before it was changed last time. I would prefer the fountain over computer outlets. I also realize that I'm likely in the minority.
The old fountain was nice for the shoppers, but for the businesses that were located near the fountain, it was noise pollution. The waterfall made it difficult to have a conversation with customers without raising your voice.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:25 PM

282 posts, read 484,613 times
I also liked the old original waterfall, even if it was noisy. I'm guessing it was more a cost of upkeep reason why they took it out. Also, I don't care for capeted floors in malls. . . makes them seem kind of old & outdated for some reason (just my opinion). I still like the way Glimcher updated Grand Central Mall in the 90s with the food court atrium, although like Charleston taking out the waterfall, I still miss all the tropical foliage and ponds it was noted for. But it's still one of the best malls in the state even after all these years.

Old 07-15-2012, 02:34 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,833,766 times
Carpet is so unsanitary. Ugh. Stick with a surface that can be bleached.

Old 07-15-2012, 09:59 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,876,421 times
I still liked the old (original) fountain that was there when I lived in Charleston. Ok, water is loud - just talk louder. duh. Hope they keep something worth looking at there. Studies have shown that water features calm people down and de-stress them. Ironic how next to it is a Starbucks that serves drinks with high levels of caffeine, then.

As far as the carpet, the commercial-grade industrial stuff that's made for super high traffic areas lasts for many years. They have put the stuff in several of Atlanta's malls when they renovated them, and it actually does hold up well over time, and it's a marketing thing too - softer floors means people can walk longer before they get tired. If they walk longer, they shop more, and spend more money. bingo.

I hope the mall already has free WiFi for patrons - or at least some sort of a program that allows you to get X-amount of free WiFi time by showing a receipt that shows you've shopped at the mall the same day (a test in some cities that works, as it keeps people from lingering TOO long but allows patrons to have access to WiFi, too).

Old 07-16-2012, 08:51 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,148,712 times
I know I'm in the minority but I like the brick on the floors. I'm all for the bathroom renovations, removal of the planters and benches and the changing of the railings but I wish they would have kept the brick. Oh well, can't fight progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston