Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2012, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,843 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My husband and I are thinking about moving to Charleston, WV. We have 4 young children and love being able to be outdoors. Could someone please comment on activities to do for families in and nearby Charleston? Also, how are the schools? Is it considered a family friendly (safe) area to live? Thanks for any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 03:57 PM

6,098 posts, read 9,135,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erbadnp View Post
Hi,
My husband and I are thinking about moving to Charleston, WV. We have 4 young children and love being able to be outdoors. Could someone please comment on activities to do for families in and nearby Charleston? Also, how are the schools? Is it considered a family friendly (safe) area to live? Thanks for any information.
Hi there,

First off, welcome to Charleston! (even though your still thinking)!

I will address your questions in order, plus add here and there things that will probably help.

Welcome | City of Charleston

activities--- The city is blessed to have dozens of city parks, recreation venues, and water activities. Coonskin Park is a fun place with lots do, or just a place to escape the city (even though its just a few miles from downtown. The parks are all clean, safe, and beautiful. Lots of diversity of the parks and walking paths. There are also several movie theaters, a Go-cart, lazertag, arcade type place, and of course the Charleston town center Mall with 3 levels of great shopping, dinning, and entertainment. The city is also blessed to have the Clay Center, which is an art/culture/science/imax theater with a classy grand theater for big name performers, acts, and plays. The Clay Center is cheap, and is a great place for families. We also have several art galleries, aswell as other venues for concerts and events.

Southridge Grand Prix Family Fun Center - Arts & Entertainment - Charleston, WV | Facebook

The Clay Center - The Official Site of the Clay Center

The Cultural Center

Charleston Town Center :: 3000 Charleston Town Center, Charleston, WV. 25389 :: 304-345-9525

Kanawha County WV Parks & Recreation

Schools--- Kanawha County has a great school system (in my opinion best in WV), and there are several schools that are reconized for being top notch. I will not point out certain schools, cause I don't know exactly where you are looking at, but overall you are going to get a good education out of any of them. Our schools are some of the most advanced, as far as technology in the classroom, in the nation. Private schools are good too with Charleston Catholic being a community leader. Schools are a winner here!

Kanawha County Schools

The city is very safe, but like most cities it has its bad areas. Some parts of the West Side are sketchy, but for the most part it is very safe. People here are very friendly and helpful. I wouldn't expect anything to happen to anybody unless they are part of the problem themselves, for example drug dealers. i've lived, worked, and played in this area my whole life and have yet to ever have anything happen to me.

Some other things you might like to know about.

The Capitol Market is a great market place that has both fresh produce and indoor shopping and dining. It is a one of a kind experience, and it features several locally owned businesses that have made a name for themselves on quality.
Welcome to the Capitol Market

Charleston Area Medical Center (CAMC) is our largest hospital, and largest healthcare provider in WV
It is a leading heart, cancer, and trama center for the region and is nationally reconized. It features four hospitals (General, Memorial, Putnam, Women's & Children) that all cater to different needs. It is a huge advantage having such a great hospital within our city.
Charleston Area Medical Center

The Official Site of Minor League Baseball | West Virginia Power Homepage

Welcome to the Charleston Area Alliance

Home

Other catagories like shopping, dinning, neighborhoods, suburbs, churches, ect... PLEASE ASK!!!!

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston