Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 07:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,912 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I hope my first post isn't too contentious!
I am getting ready to move from Rock Hill, SC to the Charleston area and have been researching schools for my two daughters (I don't have the money for private schools). I went around and visited schools in Berkeley and Summerville and spoke with administrators and teachers. I found out that budget cuts are going to seriously hurt many programs in many Summerville schools. The Summerville schools are already crowded and with the closing of the Reeve(s?) school, both Flowertown and Newington will be strained beyond their capacity. I was told by several that Berkeley schools wouldn't be hit nearly as badly because of the commercial tax base that exists there (though it is no doubt declining). True, many of the Summerville government schools ranked "Excellent" or "Good" by state testing standards, but there are many schools in Berkeley and Charleston that are similarly ranked. Picking a place to live based on school quality is tough!
What do you think? My office will be in the Ladson area, but commuting convenience is not a consideration - and I can't afford Mt. Pleasant!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 08:17 PM

3 posts, read 9,818 times
I would say that Newington Elementary @Dorch Dist II cannot be beat ... you'll be very happy @that school. Despite budget cuts, the teachers / staff are absolutely amazing, truly care about what they do & go the extra mile. Unless you were in Mt. P, no way I'd put my children in Chas Cty schools ... can't say I know much about Berkeley, but my vote is Summerville ... Newington Elem specifically if you can have a home within its attendance lines.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:30 PM

255 posts, read 610,364 times
Not what some of the teachers at DD2 told me during my classes in graduate school. I believe that there is no perfect school in SC and that you really have to keep tabs with everyone in the school. Summerville schools are just like any schools in SC. I was shocked when several DD2 teachers told me that there are major riots and fights in some Summerville schools that would make the schools that I work for in Williamsburg County look like angels.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:40 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,329,068 times
All government schools are hard hit by this recession, it is the nature of the beast...

Old 05-29-2010, 08:43 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
private schools are hurting too.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:32 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,329,068 times
Yes, but private schools don't rely on government money and Taxes to run their business'

Old 05-31-2010, 09:06 AM

780 posts, read 1,542,403 times
No, private schools don't rely on government money, however they do cut expenses and raise tuition as needed.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:08 AM

780 posts, read 1,542,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinklerguy View Post
Hi everyone! I hope my first post isn't too contentious!
I am getting ready to move from Rock Hill, SC to the Charleston area and have been researching schools for my two daughters (I don't have the money for private schools). I went around and visited schools in Berkeley and Summerville and spoke with administrators and teachers. I found out that budget cuts are going to seriously hurt many programs in many Summerville schools. The Summerville schools are already crowded and with the closing of the Reeve(s?) school, both Flowertown and Newington will be strained beyond their capacity. I was told by several that Berkeley schools wouldn't be hit nearly as badly because of the commercial tax base that exists there (though it is no doubt declining). True, many of the Summerville government schools ranked "Excellent" or "Good" by state testing standards, but there are many schools in Berkeley and Charleston that are similarly ranked. Picking a place to live based on school quality is tough!
What do you think? My office will be in the Ladson area, but commuting convenience is not a consideration - and I can't afford Mt. Pleasant!

I am not sure who told you Reeves was closing, but this is not accurate. Reeves is one of the newer elementary schools in the district. This fall will be it's 4th year.

The DD2 schools are some of the best in the state....especially the elementary schools.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:30 AM

1,195 posts, read 3,472,385 times
Summerville isn't what it was even 5 yrs ago, too many people have moved into it bringing their problem kids with them...

Flowertown and Newington were the best elementary schools in the state but unfortunately that has and will continue to change

I live in S'Ville and think some of the better schools are now on the MtP side of the lowcountry, we put our kids in private school after elementary because of some of the things other parents were telling us.

Lots of good neighborhoods over here but the education has gone down IMO

Old 06-01-2010, 10:09 AM

75 posts, read 183,924 times
I am interested in following this and I am confused as the first poster I am sure. I am relocating to Charleston area in 2 weeks. My offices will be in North Charleston and Mount Pleasant and I need to live where my 12 year old will attend 7th grade. I keep hearing Cairo and Laing and Dorchester 2 but I also keep reading posts about fights, beatings, rapes etc and all kinds of things at all of these schools and am now scared to death that I made the wrong decision to relocate. I am trying to take it all with a grain of salt but it seems no matter what post I read there are some serious allegations. Are the SC schools just not safe? I don't mean any disrespect, truly but when you are a parent trying to sort through facts and fiction it is difficult.

From previous post in this thread:
"I was shocked when several DD2 teachers told me that there are major riots and fights in some Summerville schools that would make the schools that I work for in Williamsburg County look like angels."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area