Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 08:49 PM

817 posts, read 2,003,632 times

Advertisements

Hi and thanks for stopping by

First of all, I want to say, this forum has been a HUGE help to someone like me trying to realize our dream of moving South. Everyone has been so very helpful and willing to offer advice; it just makes me want, even more, to move to an area where these hospitable people could be my neighbors someday!!

I have initially corresponded via other persons posts for Charleston.. but decided it was time to post my own.

Our lil' family, my wife, myself and our 6 month old son currently live in NYC, specifically Brooklyn (where I was born).

Not to worry, it will not be culture shock as some suggest to a New Yorker.. I lived in Upstate NY for 12 years before moving back to Brooklyn for family matters and crave that non-city, non-hustle, non-noisy, non-garbage strewn sidewalks and streets, relaxed and laid back simply enjoy family and life atmosphere/attitude. And a nice backyard with grass for my son to grow up with.
And will not bring any NY attitude with me...

I am Jewish, my wife of Muslim background,,, forget about the Middle East conflict.. just come to us
Our son is being brought up Jewish... and would look to join a synagogue when there.

We have a genuine and sincere desire by 2010 to move to Charleston.. more specifically its surrounding areas, as in Mt Pleasant, James Island or Daniels Island... no interest for Summerville nor W. Ashely, sorry.

My niece and her family live in Raleigh.. but our interest is S.C.
At least a lot closer than NYC to them.

We really liked what Charleston has to offer us. Besides of course moving south of the Mason-Dixon line... we truly liked and appreciated the fact that there is the City of Charleston that we can enjoy while living in its suburbs (James/Daniels Islands, Mt Pleasant). We appreciate the culture of Charleston and all it offers, its architecture, amenities, classiness and would really enjoy the City of Charleston while living so close by. Of course enjoying the weather, beaches etc of the area and everything else each area (James/Daniels Islands and Mt Pleasant) offers as we would spend the majority of our time in our community..

I can find work for myself in S.C. (I am a pharmacist and so far hear work opportunities are good, though I will specifically obtain a position before moving) and my wife works in finances but will give it up to be home full time with our son for awhile.

We are simply seeking a nice, safe, interesting, family, friendly, fun area to live.
Would like to have family activities as in community pool, tennis courts and playgrounds.
The new outdoor track complex located in Mt Pleasant looks great... as my wife is a runner and was on her Country's national track team as a runner and might get into coaching.
We also enjoy biking, both mountain and road biking.

We would rent for the first 6 months or abouts and then purchase a home, after completely checking out all the areas, neighborhoods, sub-divisions, streets while renting there.
We are looking for a home up to let's say $400K range.

We really have no interest in night life (our current night life is our 6 month old crying and not sleeping :
No interest in fancy clothing stores, restaurants, video rentals, starbucks etc.... we are just seeking the basics as for local stores.
Taking walking tours of Charleston, parks, beaches are more for us.

We would like 'some' land and not have our neighbors right on top of us, nor us them. When living in Upstate NY I had 1 acre of land.. but I know I would tail that down for these areas, not a problem.

We have no interest in a gated community.
No interest in cookie cutter sub-divisions.
No new "pop-up" developments with 2-story houses built right on top of each other where they tell you ifyou can put up a fence and what kind and what color to paint your house...I see these on trips and it looks like a fake version of Disney World. Nice for some but not for us.
HOA we do understand and welcome them within limits... if we like that particular development, division, area and there is a HOA.

My wife is very interested in good schools as is everyone with children of course... and that is Priority !

As I mentioned we are looking at Mt Pleasant, Daniels Island and James Island.
Though Daniels Island might not be a fit, commute wise, as I would be driving to work in Charleston and Mt Pleasant and James Island weekly.. and as far as I see it on the map, commuting from Daniels Island to all the other areas (except Mt Pleasant) would be a hassle... you tell me please ?

Otherwise what I hear about Daniels Island appeals to us. Meaning Mt Pleasant might be a bit too set-up, established whereas Daniels Island is more up and coming and rural now and might be great to get in, though my wife would like the more established... sheesh... whats a person to do

I plan on driving down the beginning of June for a week for a look around myself. If all looks good, then the next trip in about another months time will be a drive with my wife and baby.

This trip will be a fact finding trip as I have done previously for other areas.
Speaking to real estate agents/brokers, job opportunities and driving in and out and all over Charleston and the areas mentioned.

Besides comments on living in these areas and what we are seeking about family, living, atmosphere, housing, communities, neighborhoods, amenities...
Please send me all tips, ideas on anything else you think I should check out when down there next month besides what I mentioned.

Thanks for stopping by... I deeply appreciate it.
Looking forward to corresponding with you and seeing you down there one day soon

Michael

PS feel free to e-mail me personally

Last edited by MichaelNYC; 05-03-2009 at 09:14 PM.. Reason: left out some points I wanted to mention
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 10:05 PM

92 posts, read 264,195 times
Commute time from Daniel Island to downtown Charleston (tourist part of King St) is around 25 minutes non-rush hour. Not sure of the time during rush hour.

Daniel Island HOA/covenants are pretty strict compared to other neighborhoods. There is a palette you must choose from if you repaint your home - and even then, they will not let you paint it the same color as your neighbors. Fencing must be approved by the HOA. Having lived in a neighborhood with a weak HOA (no enforcement of any rules... made it tough to sell our house when the neighbors do not care about their houses), I really appreciate this HOA.

I would not consider Daniel Island to be rural. Sure, there are parts of the island which are not developed (and may never be developed). But, it definitely does not have a rural feel.

You will not be able to find an acre on Daniel Island unless you have millions to spend. Even on the expensive side ($1M homes) of the island, you only get .3 to .5 acres. I feel that we do not need such a large backyard with all of the walking/biking trails and parks on the island (but that is personal preference).

At $400k, you are looking at 2000/1800 or less sq ft on Daniel Island or a townhome. Prices are adjusting somewhat.

Hope this helps...

Old 05-04-2009, 05:51 AM

Hi G.. thanks for taking the time to read and reply.. and be the first

I see the commute during rush hour to Charleston would be a hassle and even more so to James Island.. so that might simply knock Daniels Island out...

Understood about HOA... it does have its benefits... just not seeking too strict contraints lets say

About 1 acre of land.. I know that is out of the question... while yes I can get it in some areas... I know I will get less.. just simply do not want to be right on top of my next door neighbors.. just a lil space would be nice.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:09 AM

Default Here is an addendum to my posting above

Here is an addendum to my posting above.. as to what we are seeking help with here on City-Data besides what I asked in that posting.

1. Would like to hear from recent transplants as well as older ones of course as to your move to the Charleston area and where you moved from.
  • What did you expect from your move to the Charleston area and were they met ?
  • What would have you done differently, from wishing you moved sooner to wishing you did not possibly ?
  • Were your expectations met once here, were they surpassed, did it come up short ?
  • What area did you decide on and are you happy with it or perhaps would have moved to another area in Charleston ?
2. My wife is concerned about hurricanes and more so flooding.
I will terribly miss having my basements here in NY but my wife said the garage will be mine at least .... as the rest of the house is under her domain
  • Any comments on hurricanes, flooding and specific areas, regions ?
3. We are seeking a minimum 4 bedroom home with some land so we are not on top of our neighbors, nor them on top of us.. but I know the parcel will be smaller than I had Upstate NY (1 acre) but less is fine. Simply looking for some space between our neighbors house and a nice yard for my son to grow up with.
We are looking up in the 300K-400K range.

Not certain whether we would be willing to do the "upgrades" necessary for an older home or a home that simply needs some work and updating ? As I am handy somewhat and just redid myself our entire kitchen and one bathroom and enjoy doing that kind of work while not working as a pharmacist. Or are we inclined to have a "turn key" home and simply move in. Of course it will depend upon what we find in the area we like. We will rent for the first 6 months or so as we will research the area completely once there.

4. Daniels Island is now out because of commuting.
Therefor James Island and Mt Pleasant are in the race.

5. Please send comments on James Island vs Mt Pleasant, though I will say we are leaning towards Mt Pleasant moreso.
  • Speaking of Mt Pleasant... please comment on all the various neighborhoods, sub-divisions etc
  • i.e. Charleston National, Rivertowne, Dunes West, Park West, Brickyard Plantation, Snee Farm,The Summit, Long Pointe and Planters Pointe
We do prefer older, more established neighborhoods; but am open. As I said.. all depends what we see and find and like and can afford as well

Thanks for taking the time to read my posts and cannot wait to drive down from NYC in June for a week to 'explore'

Old 05-04-2009, 01:19 PM

308 posts, read 1,041,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelNYC View Post

I see the commute during rush hour to Charleston would be a hassle and even more so to James Island.. so that might simply knock Daniels Island out...
As for the commute time, Daniel Island may be as close to Charleston/James Island than parts of Mt. Pleasant. (just a heads up). I live in Park West in Mt Pleasant and work within Mt Pleasant (only 8 miles from my home), but it takes me 30 minutes because of traffic during the school year. I'm thinking 526 from Daniel Island would by-pass a lot of that and actually be a shorter commute? Just something to consider....

Old 05-04-2009, 02:42 PM

Thanks Beth... for your comment.

Hey what do I know, therefor I post and ask

When there I will drive the various routes myself weekday and see how it is.. in the meantime welcome residents feedback.

Beth, how is Park West, would it be a fit for us ?

Any other comments, please feel free and thank you

Old 05-04-2009, 05:26 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
There is quite a bit of traffic on 526 in the AM.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:36 PM

846 posts, read 1,797,469 times
Wow, lots of information. There are lots of pharmacies in the Charleston area, as all the major drug chains have stores here in the area.

James Island is a great area, as I live there, and there are very few gated communities on the island. There's a couple (like Parrot Creek), but the housing ranges from some 30's and 40's houses (Riverland Terrace), to new houses (Ocean Neighbors).

James Island has good schools, as two of the elementary schools on the island (Stiles Point and Harbor View) are becoming leaders in the county. The Jewish school is a good ride (about 20 minutes away without traffic), but it is a good school that teaches you well.

Hurricanes are a issue anywhere you go here, as both James Island and Mt. Pleasant are about 3-5 miles from the ocean. You get major damage during storms, but due to our barrier island system, that protects us from flooding.

A 300-400K house will be an easy find on James Island, probably get you 2500-3000 square feet in a nice neighborhood. Mt. Pleasant is more expensive, if you want to get in a good neighborhood. James Island is between 6-15 minutes from downtown, depending on where you are, while Mt. P is about 12-20 minutes from town.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:24 PM

Hi J-E-T-S ... J-E-T-S ... J-E-T-S fan (you know the chant) !!

I used to go to JET games and Giant games as well... but the traffice became a hassle, so it was nicer watching at home or somewhere else.

Thanks for your reply and feedback..........

I know there are quite a few Rite Aids and CVS pharmacies as well as Publix etc.. and will speak with them this month before I come down.. I already work for one of them
I am called a 'floater' at work... I never work in the same store.. I 'float' where ever they need me, because of sick call, maternity leave, vacations etc. I have been doing that for the past almost 7 years here in NYC and LUV it... I have been to 83 stores in the Bronx, Manhattan and Brooklyn. I never ever want a permamnent store. I would luv to go all over the Charleston area and speak with people and see the neighborhoods.. hence my concern for traffic to certain areas.

The 6-15 vs the 12-20 is no difference to me (so far

Leaning towards Mt Pleasant... as my wife seems to like it better from what she has read. I on the other hand want it more laid back and a bit rural. Though born and bred in Brooklyn, with plenty of street smarts and somewhat of a Brooklyn accent.. my wife actually believes I was born in the South and were smuggled to Brooklyn, because I am very laid back.. so I am somewhat coming back home

Tell me some differences from James Island vs Mt Pleasant please.

Any specific neighborhoods to look into in James Island.

The Jewish school (yeshiva) you mentioned is where abouts ?

We want our son in public school as I went.. but with a Jewish education after school etc.

Go J-E-T-S.. lets see how the rookie quarterback does !!

Old 05-04-2009, 06:36 PM

92 posts, read 264,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
There is quite a bit of traffic on 526 in the AM.
I drive 526 from Daniel Island to Mt Pleasant every workday. There is minimal traffic coming from Daniel Island to Mount Pleasant on 526 in the AM (driven as early at 730 and as late as 900am) and minimal traffic on the way back. Going east, it really only starts to get backed up by the exit ramp for 17 because of the stoplight at Bowman and 17. Going west, the traffic builds up past the Daniel Island exit (so no issues there). As someone already mentioned, it will probably take you equally as long or longer to reach the 526/17 intersection from Park West/Rivertowne/Dunes West/Charleston National as from Daniel Island during rush hour. I cannot speak for taking 526 West across town.

Brickyard, Snee Farm, and Long Point are older subdivisions with more mature trees. Snee Farm would be the most centrally located of the three and may cut down of your commute a little.

Dunes West is a gated community with larger lots.

Honestly if you are going to rent, you should have ample time to visit all these neighborhoods and rely on your intuitions.

Re: Hurricanes. I haven't been here long enough to experience a severe one, but that is the nature of the beast. Most of Mt Pleasant and Daniel Island are in some form of a flood zone. There is no way to change that.

In a nutshell,
James Island = more "hippie" (haven't been there too much)
Mt Pleasant = more "yuppie" but nothing like yuppie New York.
If you search the forum for James Island and Mt Pleasant, you will get more info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area