Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 06:42 AM

17 posts, read 45,544 times

Advertisements

My husband and I live are in our early 30's and live in MD and are considering moving down south for a better quality of life and not as much of a rat race feel. We want a better cost of living than MD and hopefully have me be able to work part-time so I can spend more time with my 18-month-old son. Both of our commutes are 45-50 minutes, so we hardly see our son, yet alone each other. Working part-time is not an option where we currently live because we can't afford it[.

]My hubby would have to work at the VA Hospital if we moved to Charleston. It seems everyone mentions Summerville & Mt. Pleasant as good places to live if working in Charleston. However, it looks like the commute from Summerville or Mt. Pleasant would mean a long trip through the city for my husband (more than 45 minutes?). Are there any places south of the city that fit the criteria below or places that would make it so he has less than 30 minutes commute to the VA?

We want a safe place to live with good elementary schools. We do not like city living. We prefer suburban life, although we're okay with more rural settings as long as shopping and doctors are fairly close. We currently live on MD's Eastern Shore (Kent Island) which is only about 20 minutes from Annapolis, has everything you could need within 5 minutes, but has a lot of farmland and parks. It's the best of both worlds where we live; it's just too expensive and contributes to our long commutes. Thank you for your responses.

Last edited by MelbaToast; 04-21-2009 at 06:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 07:03 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,333,322 times
Try West Ashley, James Island or Johns Island...

Fits most of what you are looking for. The schools are not the best in those areas, I think West Ashley has the better schools of the areas I have listed. Others who actually live in those areas could answer that question better.

Last edited by OleTomCat; 04-21-2009 at 08:23 AM.. Reason: Sorry missed the 'not'

Old 04-21-2009, 07:27 AM

Are those areas really expensive? Coming from MD, house prices are crazy, so what seems expensive in Charleston doesn't seem so to us! We are hoping to spend between $200 and $350k max (although I don't know what this gets you in those areas). I'm just guessing based on other info. We would ideally like a 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath house with at least 1/3 acre.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:53 AM

For that type of information you will have to contact a realtor, there are plenty of those on here ore you can try looking on realtor.com

Old 04-21-2009, 08:12 AM

394 posts, read 1,049,465 times
I would still recommend Summerville. For what you want to spend on a house, you'll get the best schools and most house for your money. My 4 bedroom, 3 bath home on 1/3 acre lot is listed at at just under $320 in a very stable, in-town Summerville location. When we originally bought in the Charleston area, we found S'ville to be the best value and the best schools. With your housing budget, I suggest sticking to Summerville. I'm not sure about commute times or public transportation or carpooling options. But they are worth investigating.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:13 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,777,793 times
If you are looking for good public schools based on test scores, Johns Island might not meet your requirements.Most of the homes in the Charleston area are on relatively small lots. If you want to stay under $350,000 for a 4 bedroom home on at least 1/3 acre and be within 30 minutes of the VA Hospita,l your choices will be much more limited than if you would consider a home on a smaller lot. A quick mls search of 4 bedroom homes on James Island and close in West Ashley turned up a few older homes(cir. 1959-1968) in the 1500 sqft. to 2400 sqft. range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbaToast View Post
Are those areas really expensive? Coming from MD, house prices are crazy, so what seems expensive in Charleston doesn't seem so to us! We are hoping to spend between $200 and $350k max (although I don't know what this gets you in those areas). I'm just guessing based on other info. We would ideally like a 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath house with at least 1/3 acre.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:24 AM

Sorry I editted my post, I missed the 'not' in there about the schools.

Summerville has the overal better schools for the majority of the Low Country.

I recommend Private school over government school anyday though....

Old 04-21-2009, 09:45 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,431,905 times
I do not believe Mount Pleasant to be a 45 minute to the VA hospital. I make the trip down town often with the am traffic and it is more like 25 minutes. I recommend looking into Mount Pleasant.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:11 AM

547 posts, read 1,196,883 times
I second Summerville...350k might not get you what you want in Mt Pleasant...Hanahan is also nice

Old 04-21-2009, 10:50 AM

Does anyone know what the commute to the VA Hospital is from Summerville?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area