Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 02:07 PM

9 posts, read 101,813 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to re-locate in one of the areas shown. I have several questions which I would like some responses to.
1. Real estate taxes, how much would one consider normal on a home priced at $200,000K?
2. Home owners insurance using the the example above?
3. Flood insurance, is it required, what is the cost?
4. Community association fees, please quote an average cost?
5. Drinking water conditions. Here in the mid-west they leave a lot to be desired, usually we do bottled. What are the water & sewer charges?
6. In Ladson; we are looking at the community of The Reserve at Eagle Run thoughts?
7. In Summerville we're all over the place, can anyone direct us to a nice community with a good mix of ages which allows fences?
8. Personal property taxes? What is and isn't taxed and at what rate?
9. Auto insurance costs?
10. Auto tagging costs?
11. Internet providers, who and how much?
12. Cable or satellite, who and how much?
13. Trash and recycling costs?
Yes, I know it's a lot of questions.....just want to be prepared, thanks.
Any information provided will be most helpful and appreciated.

Cold in the mid-west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 05:01 PM

394 posts, read 1,049,816 times
Maybe I can answer a few questions: In Summerville, you can look in-town for areas that allow fences. Our neighborhood does not have any type of HOA (not a problem at all - it's a very nice place to live). I think most newer subdivisions on the edge of town have HOA's. Cars, homes, and I believe watercraft are considered personal property and are taxed. It's more expensive for a new car versus an older one. I think we pay less than $200 on a 2005 Pontiac. We use Knology for cable and internet, not sure of the bill since my husband's company pays most of it but I remember them being less expensive than Comcast. They don't have the best customer service, however. But - they are gettting better... The water is pretty good in Summerville. We get a report each year. I don't notice a funny taste or color and it's fine for us (I try to avoid buying bottled water b/c of the environmental impact). The weather is great for growing flowers or a vegetable garden. Heating costs are pretty low in the winter (ours are about $200 a month for a 2560 sq.ft. house - but we like it cold), summer heat causes a higher bill for AC (maybe $300?). Hope this has been somewhat helpful... Good luck in making your decision!

Old 02-21-2009, 05:30 PM

Default Summerville/Ladson

Thanks so much for your helpful information, it is appreciated and will be placed in a log which we'll use to aid in our decision.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:08 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,336,792 times
1. Real estate taxes, how much would one consider normal on a home priced at $200,000K? ~$1000.00
2. Home owners insurance using the the example above? ~1200.00 maybe more if flood insurance is required
3. Flood insurance, is it required, what is the cost? Not always and depends on where the house is located
4. Community association fees, please quote an average cost? Vary greatly with Locations
5. Drinking water conditions. Here in the mid-west they leave a lot to be desired, usually we do bottled. What are the water & sewer charges? 60/month combined, water quality is good, but I still use a Brita Filter.
6. In Ladson; we are looking at the community of The Reserve at Eagle Run thoughts? Don't know
7. In Summerville we're all over the place, can anyone direct us to a nice community with a good mix of ages which allows fences? Get a good Realtor, there are plenty that read and post on here.
8. Personal property taxes? What is and isn't taxed and at what rate? Autos, Trucks, boats, motorhomes are all personal property and are taxed at all different rates depending on age initial cost, etc....
9. Auto insurance costs? Varies greatly depending on driving record and combined discounts (I recommend Charles Chitwood Agency in Summerville, State Farm)
10. Auto tagging costs? Personal Property Taxes must be paid prior to applying for tags, then tagging is relatively cheap, less than $100.00 for everything.
11. Internet providers, who and how much? I use Time Warner cable love it.
12. Cable or satellite, who and how much? ^^
13. Trash and recycling costs? Outside of the city limits it is about $50/month

Any questions feel free to ask...

Old 02-22-2009, 08:43 AM

870 posts, read 1,988,502 times
OTC pretty much has it covered but if you like I can message you with the name of an excellent real estate agent who has been in the business for a very long time and will be able to find you exactly what you are looking for.

I don't work for or with him but I have known him since I was 4 years old (I'm 27 now) and he has had a hand in every house that my family has ever bought, sold, rented or rented out in Summerville since 1985, including the house I am closing on tomorrow

Old 02-23-2009, 03:52 PM

26 posts, read 94,004 times
I can tell you that my wife and I love the Summerville area. If planned communities are your thing, then might I suggest Myers Mill. We close on a house in Myers Mill this Thursday! Let me tell you that our builder (there are three in Myers Mill) has been exceptional. They have immediately addressed every concern we had along the way. They have pretty much bent over backwards making sure that our home is up to our satisfaction.

It seems very family oriented. My wife is already hooked up with a womens social group in the community.

Good luck in your search!

Old 02-23-2009, 07:46 PM

26,226 posts, read 49,079,778 times
Any place in Summerville to get a good crabcake?

Old 02-24-2009, 06:51 AM

Thank you so much. Since we don't know anyone down that way it will be most helpful to have a Realtor someone has a history with. I'll be sure to contact you when we get this all together.

rgreco8818

Old 02-24-2009, 08:32 AM

890 posts, read 4,329,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Any place in Summerville to get a good crabcake?
Mustard Seed

Old 02-24-2009, 09:09 AM

394 posts, read 1,049,816 times
Mustard Seed's crab cakes are good but I know 2 people who sick right after eating there and one of them had the crab cakes (me). That was several years ago, however, for me and at least a couple of years ago for my friend. I'm not bad mouthing the Mustard Seed! I know a lot of people love it and I should probably try it again. Sweetwater Cafe's crab cakes are tasty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area