Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2006, 09:27 AM

2 posts, read 7,338 times

Advertisements

I am a college student, who attends University of Maryland. As soon as I graduate my hope is to move to Mount Pleasant. My problems are
1. What is there for a Public and COmmunity Health / Art Studio Major to do in Mount Pleasant?
2. My boyfriend does not want to live in the South at all, he believes it to be rednecky, yet I have been trying to tell him that it's not around Charleston. But we also like the slow paced life
3. Crime- I live in Maryland, right in between Baltimore, and DC. Thus, I am tired of crime, and illegal immigration everywhere. Is this a problem around Mount Pleasant/ Charleston area?
4. This sounds stupid- but I hate snakes.. are there alot?
5.I would enjoy a big house with a huge backyard that if I do have children, they could play in. But I also don't want to be far from a city. So is Mt Pleasant a good choice for this?

If you have any other words of advice I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2006, 03:59 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,491,114 times
1. There is plenty to do. Charleston is an artsy city, very close to the beach, and during the summer has about 75% of the college students in South Carolina. It has great nightlife year-round, and lots to see and do. The hard part is finding a job.

2. Maybe you should leave him at home. If he doesn't want to live here, we sure don't want him to. But yeah, there are rednecks in South Carolina.

3. I think you'll have the same issues with crime and immigration. I wouldn't call Charleston "dangerous", but it's not exactly safe, either. Mt. Pleasant is safer, pretty middle-class. Property values are rising quickly, though.

4. I hate snakes too. Really hate them. The south has plenty of snakes, more than Maryland would. But I don't think Charleston would have any more than any other area of the south.

5. Yes, that is a good choice, but the Charleston area is expensive. You'll pay for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area