Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2020, 08:52 PM

2 posts, read 3,076 times

Advertisements

Hello, this site has been very helpful in our initial search for our "second act" home. We love Mount Pleasant. The whole vibe was great, lots of amentities and outdoor activities. Question, are there other places along that part of the country that are similar in feel? We want to be coastal, but creeks or rivers would be good too. didn't like the Outer Banks area at all. (no real sense of "town")
We are looking in SC, Georgia, and Florida.

If anyone has any recs, shoot them my way! Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2020, 06:14 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,992,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphaltkate View Post
Hello, this site has been very helpful in our initial search for our "second act" home. We love Mount Pleasant. The whole vibe was great, lots of amentities and outdoor activities. Question, are there other places along that part of the country that are similar in feel? We want to be coastal, but creeks or rivers would be good too. didn't like the Outer Banks area at all. (no real sense of "town")

Hi Kate,

It's called the low country because most of the coastal areas of NC down to FL are low lying, marshy, and full of creeks and rivers. For that sense of town I could recommend plenty of smaller communities that would give you a town feel (in my opinion)

It really depends on your idea of a town. If town includes shopping, schools, and hospitals, that's going to be a different set of options than what a more rural area (like Edisto or the Outer Banks) might offer.

To me, Mount Pleasant is a small city, to you it may be a town.

What's important to you in your next community, start there and then we may have a better way to offer up ideas.

Old 10-23-2020, 07:10 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,950,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphaltkate View Post

Mt Pleasant is a nice area, but it's growing fast. I've been seeing a lot of mid-rise apartments & townhouses going up since they lifted the ban on those.

For another area within South Carolina, you might look up the coast a bit to the north of here -- Pawley's Island, Murrells Inlet, Litchfield area.....just to compare and contrast.

Speaking strictly for myself, I found nothing attractive about the Outer Banks both the ocean side and the inland sound-front. Georgia's lowcountry looked like the boondocks to us. And Florida is, well....Florida. The old saying is -- "the farther north you go in Florida, the more south it gets" and they don't mean that in a good way.

Old 10-23-2020, 07:59 AM

5,282 posts, read 6,221,083 times
I would agree that Pawleys Island/Litchfield area could be a good comparison as would Bluffton outside of Beaufort.

TBH I'm not entirely clear on the preference- is it a nicer suburb, a city that still has a 'town' feel, or a coastal area that is newer/cleaner. To be honest if I was moving, I think the area around Savannah is more attractive than much of Charleston but I still prefer that we have more irons in the fire.

Old 10-23-2020, 08:05 AM

5,725 posts, read 4,705,104 times
I'd also look at Amelia Island in north Florida.

Old 10-23-2020, 09:20 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,214,784 times
Georgetown SC is a real small working town with a little shopping and restaurants.It feels a lot like a "Mayberry" on Winyah Bay, and just south of upscale Pawley's Island.

Old 10-23-2020, 09:42 AM

2 posts, read 3,076 times
Great info here. Thank you so much. Yes, agreed, Mt. Pleasant is on the larger size, although we are in California, home of suburban sprawl, so it still seemed charming. What I like about it the neighborhood feel, access to outdoor activities, and accessibility. We want our future grandchildren to come stay and be excited about our location. My husband is a real estate appraiser, so we need to stay somewhat close to populated areas where homes are selling. We drove trrough Pawley's and really liked it, but I didn't spend much time looking at the outlying areas. We got a coffee in Georgetown, but since we were there on a Sunday, a lot was closed up and seemed a little deserted. Charming, still

I think the Savannah area will be next on our list of areas to look at.

Thanks,everyone! Really appreciate the help!
Katie

Old 10-24-2020, 09:51 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,299,244 times
Beaufort, SC ... not to be confused with Beaufort, NC.
The extended area of Lady's Island/St. Helena is worth considering as well.

Old 10-24-2020, 10:50 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,950,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
Beaufort, SC ... not to be confused with Beaufort, NC.
The extended area of Lady's Island/St. Helena is worth considering as well.
Hey joyeaux, haven't seen you post on CHS in a while. All is good in your world I hope.

Re: Beaufort SC.....do you have a good suggestion for lunch in that area ? DW and I are looking for a day trip down there, for exploration purposes.

Old 10-24-2020, 12:33 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,959,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
Mt Pleasant is a nice area, but it's growing fast. I've been seeing a lot of mid-rise apartments & townhouses going up since they lifted the ban on those.

For another area within South Carolina, you might look up the coast a bit to the north of here -- Pawley's Island, Murrells Inlet, Litchfield area.....just to compare and contrast.

Speaking strictly for myself, I found nothing attractive about the Outer Banks both the ocean side and the inland sound-front. Georgia's lowcountry looked like the boondocks to us. And Florida is, well....Florida. The old saying is -- "the farther north you go in Florida, the more south it gets" and they don't mean that in a good way.
What’s so bad about places like Amelia Island, Ponte Vedra, or St Augustine? There’s a lot of million dollar neighborhoods along A1A regardless of latitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area