Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 04:27 PM

58 posts, read 238,253 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I am interested to receive feed back on moving to the Summerville area. My wife and I lived there back in the mid 80s when I was stationed at the Naval weapons station as a USMC. We loved it and have always thought of moving back. I have 20 years coaching and helped build the youth lacrosse program here in Massachusetts. It seems like Summerville is on the brink of lacrosse fever and would love to bring something to the table should my family make the move. Do you think Summerville is ready to build a strong youth lacrosse league and would an outsider be welcomed starting one? Also a lot of undeveloped land surrounds the new high school Ashely Ridge. What do you think the prospects of leasing or buying ruffly 20 acres for fields? (or another reasonable location) and my last question is this. Would the low country community be receptive to starting a pop warner league? I know Summerville has its own league. I was fortunate enough to be the head coach the Redskins for a season in 1985. It is a great league. I was just wondering if pop warner would have a place as well. The talent pool is so deep that they could compete for a national title.

I coached a young man named Lincoln Meirz, name ring a bell with anyone?

Well any comments would be greatly appreciated and I am most interested in helping the boys and girls get a youth lacrosse league going.

One last note - I have read on line that a low country lacrosse league is up and running on Daniel Island.

Thanks
Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 07:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,813 times
I think that sounds like a great idea, My family is relocating to the area this summer from maryland and I have been researching the local sports organaztions trying to find information on Lacrosse, Football & Cheerleading.

I have thought about starting up a youth rec league when we are settled in the area. I have coached youth competetion cheerleading for 3 years and just started coaching lax this spring season. Helping todays youth to become tomorrows leaders has become a passion to me and I think I have a great insight in what it take to run a organization. Would you be interested in starting a youth organization that has more then lacrosse?

Wish you the best of luck.
Thanks~

Old 04-15-2008, 09:36 PM

899 posts, read 3,493,388 times
I also thinks it's a great idea.
However, Summerville is ALL about football; and then, maybe, some baseball.

I personally think that Mt. Pleasant is where your lacrosse with prosper. I've played in the past (attack) & I think it's an easier sell there, especially in the middle schools to start.

Just a feeling. And don't forget the girls!
jim

Old 04-16-2008, 06:39 AM

890 posts, read 4,329,997 times
Lacrosse is one of the fastest growing sports in the nation and the Summerville Y is out to meet the demand.

Summerville Journal Scene

Old 04-16-2008, 01:35 PM

The Y is a great place but, if your counting on the Y as a feeder program for high schools in Summerville you are sadly mistaken. With all the great things in the Charleston area they are 15 years behind in lacrosse. Thats just the fact. I love the Y but, they can not meet the demands of a true youth lacrosse program.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:49 PM

890 posts, read 4,329,997 times
Just an FYI that I read in the paper a while back and was passing along is all.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:05 PM

Thanks scjj, I really appreciate the info. And thanks Jim3310 and SCKrisse. Jim3310 do you have a feel for the land availability around the Ashely Ridge high school? MP is really nice but my idea is to place a facility in a more central community. But that of coarse is subject to change if a better location were determined. The athletic facility would hopefully serve the entire low country area or close to it.

Thanks again and please everyone throw in your input and ideas.

Matt

Old 04-16-2008, 04:17 PM

SCKrisse I am very familiar with the cheer competitions in pop warner. Although I have 4 boys as a head football coach I have always been supportive of my cheer coaches and have made sure the boys were there to cheer the girls on at competition. And the young ladies were great. They work very hard at what they do and I make sure the boys understand that as well. I'm pretty sure there is no pop warner or football USA in the low country but I could be wrong. I would definitely be interested in introducing pop warner to the area as well. And SCKrisse I know how valuable a good cheer coordinator is, so it would be great to have you on board.

Thanks
Matt

Old 04-16-2008, 09:34 PM

899 posts, read 3,493,388 times
I do have a feel for it, as I live right there.

20 acres, 10 acres.
The owners know what the future MAY bring.
It's all over priced in my opinion.

This market may chill that out a bit, but it will take 6 months or more.
jim

Old 04-17-2008, 01:34 PM

thanks jim good info and i assume your ready to coach a team........ so at todays prices what do you think the land could be purchased for or maybe even a lease?

thanks matt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area