Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 07:13 AM

624 posts, read 698,482 times

Advertisements

Over a year after first being announced, the land has been purchased and the lease has been signed. Who's ready to sign up for a membership?

GBT acquires site for first BJ's Wholesale Club in South Carolina - The Journal Scene
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 07:43 AM

45,672 posts, read 24,161,769 times
Had a membership back in Atlanta -- got it for free as a trial run. Never renewed. Will not be joining....too far to drive to and just not worth it #costcoforlife

Old 07-17-2016, 08:00 AM

I have all 3: Costco, Sam's Club and I joined BJ's when I was up in Charlotte.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:07 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,564,783 times
Years ago back in Charlotte had a bj's membership. We haven't jumped on the costco wagon yet. What does everyone love so much about costco? I ask seriously, as we have discussed getting a membership. Just being two of us, is it worth it?

Old 07-17-2016, 09:32 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,967,415 times
We joined Sam's Club down here. It was basically free with a Groupon. But Sam's is less than meets the eye....their Meat Dept has no bargains, none, never. And their Bakery is nothing to ride home about. Paper Goods in bulk are OK, but every store has that. Their MasterCard is a great deal -- You get 5% back on all Gas Purchases, 3% on Travel & Dining, and 1% on all other Purchases. And it's all year, not the quarterly categories like the Chase Freedom Card. We'll keep their Master Card, but I don't think we're going to renew. Sam's is a little too "Walmart-ish" in my opinion,

What is the board's ranking of Sam's, Costco and BJ"s ??? Which has the better Bakery ;_) Which has the better Meat Dept ???

Last edited by FiveLoaves; 07-17-2016 at 09:59 AM..

Old 07-17-2016, 09:36 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,605,425 times
...thank goodness. The fine people of people of Summerville finally get their long-awaited BJs.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
What is the board's ranking of Sam's, Costco and BJ"s ??? Which has the better Bakery ;_) Which has the better Meat Dept ???
I shop all 3. My review:

1.) Sams' Club - Sam's gas can be a good deal, Sam's has good deals on boneless/skinless chicken breasts and also other things. For me, Sam's Club is closer to me so I shop there more.

2.) Costco - Their gas is frequently the cheapest per gallon in the Charleston area. Not always, but most of the time. Sometimes it's by a lot. Costco meat and produce beats Sam's Club in quality. Their private label Kirkland brand is also great in paper products and things like trash bags, drug store items, etc.

3.) BJ's has good deals on gasoline at their fuel centers and is an interesting hybrid warehouse. They have large quantities, but also smaller quantities and they accept manufacturer's coupons. They also have good deals on mattresses.

If I could only be a member of one warehouse, it would be Costco.

I would put Sam's Club's bakery #1 because they have really cheap sheet cakes that I order from time to time. Costco's meat department is #1 by a mile. BJ's is interesting because they have a deli where they slice lunch meat, unlike Costco and Sam's, which don't offer that service.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:08 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,967,415 times
Grocery Guy --

I value your opinion on these matters. Sam's Club is closer to us also, but Costco is just over the Ashley and not too far away for the once a month trip to bulk shop. Any of the Meat Depts would be the big difference maker if they have a good deal. I typically watch the circulars and Teeters, Publix and Food Lion usually have something on sale every week. You can buy enough for the Freezer if you catch a sale -- and I know when the Senior Day is for each of them.

BTW -- Sam's MC gas deal is on anybody's gas, not just the Club. Sam's MC Card is our main card and we use it a lot....especially for Dining Out !!! They pay you back with a check -- last year we deposited a princely sum based on usage.

Old 07-17-2016, 03:34 PM

45,672 posts, read 24,161,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroceryGuySC View Post
I have all 3: Costco, Sam's Club and I joined BJ's when I was up in Charlotte.
Yeah I did that once...and found that I was forcing myself to go to Sam's Club and BJ's to make use of the membership. It was an obligation .

Old 07-19-2016, 08:19 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,314,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Years ago back in Charlotte had a bj's membership. We haven't jumped on the costco wagon yet. What does everyone love so much about costco? I ask seriously, as we have discussed getting a membership. Just being two of us, is it worth it?
Just 2 in our empty nest here & Costco is always on our radar. We shop there for the high quality & good prices of so many things. Yeah, I believe in Costco, meaning I believe that they usually have done the research to only present quality products. And that only the strong sellers (repeat sellers) survive. So that also means buyers test, and then vote with their buying. Costco starts with a higher line than Sam's, so the price point does start out higher, too.
And Costco entertains us. We "Window Shop" there in the new age of stores without windows. Costco introduces us to outdoor/sport entertainment items; fashion items (OK a stretch); food finds. And then finishes our cheap dates with delish ($4) turkey-provolone-pesto sandwiches on ciabatta rolls. Or a frozen yogurt parfait for $1.50, which is too big for just one.
Because it is a warehouse, we've accomplished our morning walk after we've perused the store. And then we gas up the car - cheaply - and go home smiling.
No, Costco did not approve this message It's just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area