Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 02:52 PM

624 posts, read 693,843 times

Advertisements

I would say you'll be able to start shopping at BJ's in Summerville sometime next summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 02:17 PM

252 posts, read 264,908 times
I may look into this. I had a Costco membership in Washington before I moved. Once here, I got a Sam's card, and other than picking up a year's worth of TP, paper towels, laundry & dish detergent, I haven't been back. Just can't be bothered to deal with the Tanger/airport/Boeing traffic. Since I'm in Ladson, the drive to Summerville will be less of a hassle.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrd463 View Post
I may look into this. I had a Costco membership in Washington before I moved. Once here, I got a Sam's card, and other than picking up a year's worth of TP, paper towels, laundry & dish detergent, I haven't been back. Just can't be bothered to deal with the Tanger/airport/Boeing traffic. Since I'm in Ladson, the drive to Summerville will be less of a hassle.
I hear you about the Sam's/Tanger traffic.

It wasn't bad the last 10 years or so, but now that they have opened multiple additional restaurants and large stores....it has become unbearable down there. It is busy all the time. I avoid Sam's now. Costco is a huge drive for me, so BJ's will be a welcome addition.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:56 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,462,840 times
If it's that bad, there's always online.

https://www.boxed.com/

https://jet.com/

Last edited by Jandrew5; 08-23-2016 at 08:24 PM..

Old 08-23-2016, 07:59 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,053,860 times
I come from Mt. Pleasant to Costco-- sail by Sam's (had a Sam's club membership and went a few times without any traffic -- y'all need to ride with me)....I just didn't like Sam's or BJ's -- it is what it is -- I'm stuck on Costco. I liked some features of Sam's but not enough to cough up a membership fee.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroceryGuySC View Post
I hear you about the Sam's/Tanger traffic.

It wasn't bad the last 10 years or so, but now that they have opened multiple additional restaurants and large stores....it has become unbearable down there.
Well of course. Tanger is only ~10 years old, and Boeing isn't even 5. It "wasn't bad" 10 years ago because the only draw there was the Coliseum.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Well of course. Tanger is only ~10 years old, and Boeing isn't even 5. It "wasn't bad" 10 years ago because the only draw there was the Coliseum.
Sam's Club opened off of International Boulevard in 2004, followed by the Walmart in 2005. For the first few years they were open, traffic was no problem. When Tanger came along in late 2006, it wasn't bad.

But after the construction boom of the ensuing years, traffic has become non-stop busy over there. Poor planning on the part of North Charleston in allowing this will create an opportunity for BJ's to lure Berkeley and Dorchester County warehouse shoppers.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:08 PM

It was all apart of a master plan. Thats why Walmart and Sams landed there, they knew Center Pointe was coming. It is not poor planning or a random hodgepdge. That area is being built out how it was meant to be.

The location is central and is nestled under 2 interstates, and it is very close to Boeing and the airport/base. Plus with new life being pumped into the Coliseum and NCPAC, of course there will be traffic. I really dont get this complaint. The area is healthy.

People shopping at BJ's is not the cities fault...its called proximity, ammenities, and membership fees. If you live in Ladson and your experience at both stores is similar, of course youd go with BJ's. That has nothing to do with planning.

Costco has loyal shoppers, Sams has loyal shoppers, online has loyal shoppers, and then you have the market that just wants whats next door, if they care about warehouse to begin with.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:20 AM

It's overbuilt. That's my opinion, which is the great thing about the Internet. We all get to have one.

By the way, where they're putting BJ's in Summerville is also poorly planned and overbuilt as well, it's just closer to me.

Center Pointe will improve when Boeing closes International Boulevard after 526 and the new airport road off Montague gets built.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroceryGuySC View Post
It's overbuilt. That's my opinion, which is the great thing about the Internet. We all get to have one.

By the way, where they're putting BJ's in Summerville is also poorly planned and overbuilt as well, it's just closer to me.

Center Pointe will improve when Boeing closes International Boulevard after 526 and the new airport road off Montague gets built.
I didn't say you can't have an opinion? I'm saying thats how the area is supposed to be. Conns, Lay Z Boy, Field and Stream, Mellow, Zaxbys, and Community Pizza House all seem to have come out of nowhere, but before then they were just available plots. Center Pointe is a master plan. They're not just building up for the sake of building up like this is a Rio favela. They're filling in the holes.

Complaining that they're overbuilding is like being upset than an already plotted neighborhood is filling up all their lots with new homes.

Last edited by Jandrew5; 08-24-2016 at 07:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area