Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 12:18 PM

22 posts, read 85,779 times

Advertisements

Does anyone living in the Summerville/Charleston area know how long the average commute would be from Summerville down to the Broad Street area, specifically during a typical work day of, say, 8:00 to 5:00?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 01:03 PM

267 posts, read 1,019,581 times
Ouch, I don't have a specific answer, but this sounds like a haul! If I had to guess, I would say an hour on a good day, without any accidents. Any takers?

Old 02-04-2008, 02:27 PM

123 posts, read 571,143 times
Depends from where in Summerville. Google says Summerville is 25.5 miles to Broad & Meeting, and normally should take 31 min. So during weekday rush, I'd guess 45-60 min, providing you don't have any accidents.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:10 PM

85 posts, read 372,547 times
That's going to take at least an hour in morning traffic, possibly just as much in the evening. But, I would honestly anticipate a *longer* commute.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:03 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,680,309 times
An hour is a good estimate. I drive from GC to right off Broad and it takes me about 45 minutes to get to work and I leave at 6:15am. Here are the traffic webcams you can check out to see what the traffic looks like in the morning and afternoon during the time you will be going and coming from work. On Friday's traffic isn't as bad. I guess people take off on Friday's. lol

SCDOT - Getting Around in South Carolina - South Carolina Traffic Cameras (http://www.scdot.org/getting/cams/ - broken link)

Old 02-04-2008, 09:50 PM

22 posts, read 85,779 times
Thanks for the info. That is longer than I wanted to commute, I think. I assume coming from Mt. Pleasant would be shorter than that. But then there's the cost of living. Man, decisions decisions.

Of course, any commute is going to take some adjustment on my part. I currently live about a mile from work, and the "commute" takes about 5 minutes IF I hit the three red lights. LOL

Thanks again.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:00 PM

267 posts, read 1,019,581 times
That sounds like the best idea. One hour would be optimal. I got caught once in evening traffic and it took an hour to get from Rivers/hwy 526 to where Charleston southern University is. More often than not, I believe the commute would be longer than this.
You should take a look at West Ashley. Cheaper than Mt. Pleasant and less of a commute than Summerville.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:24 PM

899 posts, read 3,490,779 times
It's an hour.

Try James Island, John's Island (but not too far into it), Daniels Island & MTP.
These will all get you there in about a half hour.

Or bring a bunch of money and go for those three red lights!
jim

Old 02-05-2008, 04:00 AM

267 posts, read 814,942 times
I live off of Central in Summerville and work near Broad downtown. I usually leave my house between 7:45 and 8:00 and make it downtown in about 45 minutes. Yesterday I left work around 5:00 and didn't pull into my driveway until about 6:15 (but it took me 10 minutes to get out of the parking garage downtown!!!)

It's really not as bad as I thought it would be before I came here. But there have certainly been days when it's been an hour in, especially if there's an accident.

Where I used to live (Pittsburgh), it took me an hour on two buses to get to work and I lived eight miles from downtown. Plus, the weather is gray and the city of Pittsburgh is looking really rundown and deteriorated. Give me beautiful Charleston and a bit of traffic any day

Old 02-05-2008, 10:18 AM

5 posts, read 13,230 times
An hour is a good estimate. It really depends on where you live in Summerville and the route you take. There are a number of options, so if you pay attention to the traffic reports, you can avoid the slowdowns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area