Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 11:35 AM

9 posts, read 30,170 times

Advertisements

We now live in Georgia, but we might be moving to SC for my husbands job. My questions are: Good schools (16yr old, 14yr old, 5 (special needs)
good/safe neighborhoods

Thank you for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 01:23 PM

2,527 posts, read 8,029,858 times
Dorchester II schools in the Summerville area routinely score very high and they're building more facilities as we speak. Hanahan schools have also done very well recently. Most schools in Mount Pleasant also have plenty to offer.

I'd recommend touring the schools and sitting down to speak with administrators and school officials though to get a better feel for the schools than what the tests indicate, but there are some very good schools in the Charleston tri-county area with plenty to offer your little ones.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:58 PM

Default Thank you . . .

Thank you so much for the information. Moving is so stressful, and so much more so with children. One more question? Is there any areas to really stay away from? Thanks again.

Old 11-10-2007, 03:56 PM

4 posts, read 11,037 times
Hi and GL on your move here to SC. I think it's a wonderful place to raise a family.

I've lived in Charleston and the surrounding areas my entire life, so will attempt to help you with my .02.

My husband and I have been married many years and two years ago started our family. We now have a 2 year old, happy and sweet baby boy.

When I became pregnant, we were living in Mt. Pleasant at the time. We already decided we wouldn't be staying there because of the extremely high property pricing. So, when we found out we had a new member on the way, then as good as any, was time to look seriously. We grilled all of our "local" friends, as well as on the internet.

Not only were we looking for a reasonably priced home. But on our "must have" list were the following: Best school district, lots of room to move, a neighborhood with lots of little ones and close to a lot of amenities (grocery, Target, restaurants).

One of the first areas we were directed to was the Dorchester county of Summerville. Specifically the "Dorchester II district for the highest rated schools. I would say 99% of the people we talked to (and there were a lot) directed us here. We also went on to look at North Charleston, Goose Creek and West Ashley as well.

After MANY days/months of looking, hands down it was Summerville for us.

We started looking aggressively with our list of wants and needs. Again, the very first neighborhood we visited was the one we came back to after endless searching. Guess it pays to listed to your "gut", huh? We sure would have saved some time. lol

We are a couple who both work full time and have a small child. So, for us, we knew we wanted new construction or a home that wasn't more than a few years old. Neither one of us are "handy" in the sense of fixing up anything, so not only did we not have to hire out a ton of work, we don't have time to take that on and we didn't want a money pit.

Another wonderful thing about Summerville, in my opinion, is that it is growing so rapidly. It wasn't 5 years ago that when you said you were leaving Charleston for Summerville it was considered a road trip. Even though it is less than 30 miles from Downtown and Mt. Pleasant. The access here now is unbelievably fast.

There are so many new developments going up and the cost of buying here is still very reasonable. While Mt. Pleasant is absolutely beautiful in some areas, Summerville is equally as beautiful at a small fraction of the price. Summerville still has a lot of old charm as well that is present, even though a lot of the homes are new.

Just to give you an idea on the homes, we ended up buying a new construction town home. It has 4 bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms and a screened porch and is 1600sf. A little over two years ago we paid $135,000. We looked at an almost an exact replica of this home in Mt. Pleasant. The only difference was that the one in Mt. Pleasant was 5 years old and didn't have a screened porch. The asking price on that home was $359,000! So, we got a newer home and a porch for $200,000+ less. I would say that's a pretty good deal!

The prices are going up and fast though, so if you want in on a home and want the best long term for the investment. NOW, is the time. Our home in the little time we've been here already appraises for 40k more than we paid for it.

When we considered the price to live here and the excellent school system it was a landslide winner for us.

Sorry to say so much...you must be awfully bored by now, lol.

I hope I helped in some way. Please feel free to ask if you have any other questions and I'll try to help with my opinion.

Best of luck to you wherever you go!

Old 11-10-2007, 04:06 PM

4 posts, read 11,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyfam5 View Post
Thank you so much for the information. Moving is so stressful, and so much more so with children. One more question? Is there any areas to really stay away from? Thanks again.
Hi, it's me again. lol. I just saw this question and thought I'd give you my opinion on areas to stay away from.

I hope I don't get slack from this. Really, I mean no harm to anyone who might live in these areas. I, like I said, have lived here my entire life and realize that some areas have more crime than others as well as the areas that are traffic nightmares.

I know a lot of police officers here and also watch the news religiously so the following areas, according to what I know are ones I would avoid.

Some parts of North Charleston. Specifically:

Remount Road
Stall Road
Ashley Phosphate
Some portions of North Rhett and Dorchester Road
Some portions of Hanahan
Some portions of Otranto Road
Rivers Avenue
Park Circle

Charleston:

Cosgrove Avenue
Spruill Avenue

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my tired and overworked brain. If I think of anymore, I will post.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:20 AM

Default Great Info!!

Thank you for such great info. on the area. It is so hard to figure out where to move. What are some of the subdivisions to consider? Thanks for being so helpful.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:50 AM

899 posts, read 3,495,100 times
There are SO many subdivisions that you should consider. It would take up too much time & space here. Grab a Realtor & have the custom MLS search sent to your email.
You can fine tune it and save yourself a lot of time.

Then post the names of the subdivisions on here for input from those in the know!

Old 11-12-2007, 11:26 AM

528 posts, read 1,516,221 times
Luvmyfam..what price range would you like to stay in? That will help us recommend the best subdivisions for your family.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:31 AM

Default price range

We would like to stay in the 250 -300,000 range. Thanks!

Old 11-12-2007, 07:36 PM

528 posts, read 1,516,221 times
Some of the more established neighborhoods that might be of interest...
Ashborough
Legend Oaks
Newington
Gahagan

Newer...
Taylor Plantation
White Gables
Bridges of Summerville
Myers Mills

There are many many more, but these are just a few to start out with...These are located in Summerville, Dorchester 2 school system which is definitely the first place I would start looking. Let us know as you need more information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area