Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 07:52 PM

899 posts, read 3,491,067 times

Advertisements

luvmyfam5

The neighborhoods are well within your price range.
It seems to me that the schools are more important to you.

Am I right in assuming that only your 5y.o. is the only special needs?

There are some schools that may cater better to your specific situation than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 07:22 AM

9 posts, read 30,119 times
Jim3310

Yes, the schools are the most important to us. My 5yr old is the only one with special needs. He has a developmental delay and speech. His program here is going so well, I really need to find a school that is the right fit. I've also heard that Mount Pleasant has good schools? Thanks for any information!

Old 11-15-2007, 08:54 PM

528 posts, read 1,513,868 times
Luvmyfamily...I contacted Dorchester 2 to see what they offer for children with special needs similar to your child and got the following response...
"We have a continuum of services. If your child has a significant delay, we
have PDK programs in five of our school sites for special needs students. If
your child can function with his/her typically developing peer group, the
placement could be kindergarten with supplemental services. In all
placements, your child will have access to speech therapy services. We have,
at minimum, 1.5 speech therapists assigned to each elementary building.
I hope this provides you the information you need. If not, please let me
know. I will be happy to provide further information.
Thank you for considering Dorchester School District Two.
Sincerely,
Sharon Puckett
Director of Pupil Personnel Services"

Old 11-15-2007, 09:49 PM

that's all good stuff from SCDweller, and it may suffice;

if you want to talk to someone who actually has kids in the system, let me know...

jim

Old 11-16-2007, 09:38 AM

One more thing. It sounds like Anna Revill is the person you need to talk with arevill@dorchester2.k12.sc.us She sent me an e-mail this morning inquiring more about your situation. If you want a direct contact, I would talk with her.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:57 AM

9 posts, read 30,119 times
Thank you for your help everyone. I'm going to contact her and ask all my million question!

Old 11-16-2007, 11:00 AM

Wonderful! I'm sure she'll be able to help you and point you in the right direction. Let us know when you need anything else.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:40 PM

308 posts, read 1,041,765 times
Default West Ashley?

I've visited the area twice now, still trying to decide on the right area to settle in when I move there next Spring. I was leaning toward Summerville after reading these threads, but our family just didn't have a good feeling about it... too many abandoned buildings and junk cars etc. most everywhere we drove. The High School that I keep hearing about looked fairly run down. Mt Pleasant seemed a bit more "well kept", but I realize you pay for it. I've never really gotten a straight answer on West Ashley... it seems noone wants to "put it down", but I feel I'm being steered away from it. I liked the homes I saw there, the prices are more reasonable than Mt Pleasant, and (I think) is closer to downtown Chrlston and the beaches. How is the school system? Any opinions? Thanks!!!

Old 11-19-2007, 05:49 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,776,702 times
The prices of homes in West Ashley are not terribly less expensive than those in Mt. Pleasant and for the most part you would be further from the beach in the more reasonable West Ashley neighborhoods and probably not a great deal closer to down town. The test scores of schools in West Ashley are generally lower than those in Mt. Pleasant. Both West Ashley High School and West Ashley middle school received a "Unsatisfactory" score on the 2007 State report card and two others a "below average" score. By contrast, Wando High School received an "excellent" score and seven other East Cooper area schools also receiving an "excellent" score. Laing Middle school in Mt. Pleasant received a "average" score and the others a "good" score. As I have mentioned in the past, I hate to judge a school by how they "grade out" but it is one of the few objective factors available to compare schools. The Charleston area is probably no different than many other areas of the country in there being a direct relationship between school scores and the cost of housing.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth1104 View Post
I was leaning toward Summerville... our family just didn't have a good feeling about it... too many abandoned buildings and junk cars etc. most everywhere we drove. The High School that I keep hearing about looked fairly run down.
I don't want to be too critical here but "'Most everywhere we drove?" and "Fairly run down"?

Subjective yes, but just as powerful a feeling for a family passing through.

What did you think when you went into the High School & saw the inside as opposed to the dated exterior? Did you get to tour the advanced art department?

How about the new High School? That's a great exterior, but we have to wait on the interior for a bit yet.

Mt. Pleasant may be an option for you. You pay more, but it's pretty straight forward, as long as you don't go too far off the beaten path.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area