Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 03:31 AM

308 posts, read 1,042,266 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the scoop on West Ashley. I didn't see a lot of the area (only near the plantations and the H.S.) I thought it was much closer to the beaches and Charleston. (am a bit directionally-challenged when I'm there) As for Summerville, I'm certainly not trying to put it down; I really wanted it to be the place we could get excited about, but the entire family felt it was depressing to drive through. The perception was just that the people there didn't care about the surroundings. I don't care about 'new', just 'clean'. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 08:53 AM

528 posts, read 1,514,864 times
Hmm...I think you may have been through the more run down parts of Summerville that haven't seen renovation yet. I would really encourage you to give it a try with someone that can show you all the parts and the great areas for families. Of course I'm biased, but I live in the downtown/historic area and everyone that comes to visit us can't believe what a beautiful charming town Summerville is and continues to grow into. Of course I'm biased, but I think that's allowed.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:04 AM

890 posts, read 4,329,420 times
Are we talking about Summerville High School? It is not brand spanking new, but it is not rundown. And besides even if it was, what has that got to do with how good a school is anyway? There are plenty of good schools that don't look pretty on the outside. It's what's going on in the inside that matters. I've got a kid there and I can tell you it is a good school. Anyone go to the game Friday night? It was awesome! Go GREEN WAVE!

I agree with SCDweller and Jim and NO I am not a Realtor. You get a different perspective about things when you are with someone who is informed about the area that you can't get just casually riding around the main roads on your own. Summerville has a lot of hidden little gems that aren't seen off the main drags. A lot of history behind it. I learn something new about the area all the time. It's okay if you don't like it here though, I prefer the one's that don't to just keep moving along.

Last edited by scjj; 11-20-2007 at 11:36 AM..

Old 11-20-2007, 09:38 PM

899 posts, read 3,492,847 times
Hey Beth1104;

WOW, those are some buttons pushed huh? I knew that would happen...
Imagine your response if you thought NYC/Boston/LA was not your cup of tea.

I think the genteel responses go to show a number of things:

1. Perspective. I fully appreciate how a family, driving through an area that they are not accustomed to, can arrive at your perception. That perception is not going to change.

2. Reaction. The people that live her, Realtor or not, have pride in this area & take offense quite quickly, as they love this area for what it is, and what it and can be.

3. Reality. One needs to see a place in the eyes of someone, either Realtor or trusted local, who lives here. I have been all around the world. The eyes of a local are so much different than those of someone doing it on their own.

I'm not saying you did it wrong. I've done it the same way as you, on my own.

I'd say give it another try, with someone that knows better; although I also realize the power of first impressions on kids.

good luck & best wishes.
Jim

Old 11-20-2007, 10:08 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,768,733 times
I can't imagine what part of Summerville you were in to see what you saw. Did you go down Main Street in the historic part which has maintained the feel of a snug little village? You should see Summerville in the Spring when the azaleas are in bloom - breathtaking! The schools are great up there and there are many very nice neighborhoods in all price ranges. I don't live there nor am I a realtor, but I have friends and relatives in Summerville and all live in very nice homes with well-manicured lawns and none have junk cars in their yards, I assure you. Mount Pleasant may be more to your liking, but you definitely get more for your money in Summerville.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:35 AM

890 posts, read 4,329,420 times
Default Just for the record

This is Summerville High School, the nicest rundown high school I have ever seen........

[url=""]
[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Old 11-21-2007, 06:03 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,768,733 times
Great pics....great school!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area