Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2013, 03:37 PM

8 posts, read 18,261 times

Advertisements

Hello, I moved to the N. Charleston area one year ago and I am finding it tough to make some gay friends. I am a single lesbian in my mids 40's and would like to meet some new people to do things with. I am not a big bar scene type of girl but I have been to Patricks and love the atmosphere there. I have been to Pantheon but found it to be a young crowd and kind of stuffy there. I love music, festivals, art, doing things with my dogs, outdoorsy type of things, I play softball, and enjoy going to meetups.

I would appreciate any suggestions on where to go to meet some gay friendly people.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 06:18 AM

259 posts, read 454,340 times
Patrick's is closed. It's tough to make
gay friends in this town if you are not
into bars! Google Charleston Social Club,
it's a social group for lesbians. I think
it's still active. Check out the alliance for full acceptance
website they have monthly meetings. Volunteer
for Charleston Pride, by going to their website,
we are going to be downtown for the first time this
yr and need help. Hope this helps!

Old 03-30-2013, 10:23 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,182,667 times
I wonder if the meetup forum has anything. If not, you could always start one.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:44 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,568,167 times
There are a number of LGBT organizations in both Charleston and Columbia. Why don't you start by checking out the websites for We Are Family, AFFA and Charleston Pride to see what's going on in the Charleston area? If you can't find anything you like in the Charleston area, then look into some of the Columbia area organizations like the Harriet Hancock LGBT Center, the SC Gay and Lesbian Business Guild, SC Pride, SC Equality, etc.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:50 PM

I did find the Charleston Social Club. The one and only event that I went to was very lame and people were not that sociable. The so called band had only two guys playing guitar and the music they played was coffee shop music. I may try again though. Maybe next time it will be better.

And I know Patricks closed. I am disappointed. I liked that place.

What is the alliance for full acceptance?

Moderator cut: orphaned

Last edited by Yac; 04-03-2013 at 07:03 AM..

Old 04-02-2013, 05:17 PM

870 posts, read 1,988,065 times
I went to meetup.com and searched for lgbt groups within 50 miles of Goose Creek. There aren't many but there is one for lesbian women called Lowcountry Lez Girlz that looks fairly active.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:19 PM

Thanks a bunch for the advice.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:28 PM

870 posts, read 1,988,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpatters View Post
Thanks a bunch for the advice.
No problem.

FWIW, I think OTC is suggesting you check the calendar of social events at CCSD because a lot of gay/lesbian people work there and the social events are not limited to CCSD employees. Find an event you think you might enjoy and go. Since it's a CCSD sponsore/associated/whatever event, employees will likely attend. Since there are a great many gay/lesbian employees, it's likely that there will be gay/lesbian people attending the events and you should be able to make friends.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:50 AM

1 posts, read 3,604 times
Hey.. I am in the same boat.. Don't really like hanging out at bar scene..and I also find it difficult to meet friends,,if you are interested maybe we could email each other until we are comfortable to meet...just an idea..

I have lived in Charleston since the 70's and things have definitely changed.. Dating that is...I am a butch woman in search of a nice femme woman... its seems like more of a miracle these days to find one.. can anyone help?

Last edited by Yac; 08-12-2013 at 06:55 AM..

Old 08-11-2013, 07:46 AM

74 posts, read 130,020 times
The Charleston Pride organization might be your best bet. They seem to have lots of events going on, and you could meet people through their Facebook page.

http://charlestonpridefestival.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area