Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 07:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,606 times

Advertisements

Besides the religion and the size, what are the perks between the two schools? Which gets you more prepared for life and college,which would most people recommend, which offers better courses etc.? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 07:53 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,331,873 times
In my opinion Wando is a great school, for a government run institution, but if you can afford the private school go for it the smaller classes and better teachers are worth it...

As to which better prepares you for the world, the government school, college probably neither one unless you are going to go to a religious college....

Old 11-04-2012, 08:11 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,297,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loftis223 View Post
Besides the religion
Yes, Catholic schools are often populated by students not there to be Catholic ... but oh, how fortunate those are that truly embrace the philosophy of such an education.

Sorry if you think that I can't help with your actual question.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:44 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
They both offer good educational opportunities but it's like anything else; you get out what you put into it. I've known kids that couldn't get into USC coming out of Bishop England and kids that went to Ivy League coming out of Wando (and vice versa). My daughter goes to Wando and I've been very impressed and I know parents that swear by Bishop England. Probably not much of a help!

Old 11-05-2012, 07:48 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
I'm sure both schools are more than adequate.

Wando has a large school population but also has the resources available to deal with the numbers. My son is a sophmore and class size has not been an issue in any of his classes for the last two years. Wando has received many national and state accolades over the years. Engineering, arts, athletics. My son takes music and Wando's band and music program can't be beat.

I'm in the media center once a week and I'm so impressed with the staff, the kids, the atmosphere. The Principal is visible in the school, at school activities, including sporting events, arts presentations, etc.

I would bet, because of the size, Wando would have more AP offerings. I know that many of the kids participate in Trident courses taught at the school, as well as other college level courses in computing.

They are expanding Wando with the building of a school to offer technical and career specific courses. That will offer students another option.

I would take a tour of both schools and see what fits your expectations.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:50 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,020,096 times
I don't think you can go wrong with either. You absolutely need to tour them both for yourself and decide which one your child will thrive in.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:58 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times
My friends son said the Bishop English girls wear shorter skirts..........

Old 11-06-2012, 01:02 PM

870 posts, read 1,987,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
My friends son said the Bishop English girls wear shorter skirts..........
I went to Bishop England this is true. The "good" girls do like to hooch it up a bit...

Both are good schools. Both will prepare your child for college and life beyond as well as can be expected.

There are some notable differences however.

BE will be a great deal more expensive. Tuition, uniform, books (usually from someone who took the class the year before), transportation (they had a bus on Daniel Island but there was a charge for it, not sure how much because I had a car), etc can all add up. The education is second to none and the school is recognized at Catholic universities across the nation (Notre Dame, Georgetown, etc).

Wando will be less expensive but is probably the best high school in the Charleston County School District and may be the best public high school in the area. I would say that it is academically on the same level as Bishop England at a much easier price tag.

My suggestion would be to visit both schools and get a feel for it before making a final decision but here is how I would approach the decision.

Ask two important questions:
1. What kind of student is your child?
Special needs-Wando. They are better equipped. Most private schools are not.
Average-Wando. BE is challenging to say the least. When I was there, they used a 5 point grading scale instead of a 4 and grades there were equivalent to a letter grade higher at a public school. Average kids can make it, but it's expensive.
Above average-BE will offer enough of a challenge to keep the student engaged. Wando probably would, but I can't guarantee it.

2. Where does your child want to go to college?
BE has a slightly better pedigree and is recognizable out of South Carolina, especially at Catholic universities.

In state schools will recongnize Wando just fine and you could save the money you'd have spent on tuition at BE and spend it on college OR on a car for the student (if their grades warrant it) or something like that.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:42 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,678,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techgeek View Post
Above average-BE will offer enough of a challenge to keep the student engaged. Wando probably would, but I can't guarantee it.
I don't know enough about BE to comment at all on the comparison.
I have been astounded at the number of honors and AP classes available at Wando. The only classes my 17 year old has taken that weren't offered to him as honors or higher were his language classes (which may actually be offered as honors but he isn't eligible) and his first two years of JROTC. He will walk out of Wando with at least his first semester of college completed because of all the AP dual credit classes. (Knock on wood, assuming he passes all the AP exams.)
Probably BE has similar offerings, I just thought I'd mention that.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:47 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
And -- honestly -- the biggest weight to applying to ANY college anywhere is that SAT score and/or the AP exam score. Not so sure BE would be more known out of state than Wando. I think both probably don't register on any of the really important out of state colleges radar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area