Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 11:08 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,074,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
And -- honestly -- the biggest weight to applying to ANY college anywhere is that SAT score and/or the AP exam score. Not so sure BE would be more known out of state than Wando. I think both probably don't register on any of the really important out of state colleges radar.
Very true. It's my daughter's SAT scores that are getting her courted by some pretty great out of state schools. Wando? It helped she has all those honor and AP courses but the school itself hasn't made an impact. So, as I said before, you get out what you put into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 11:17 PM

870 posts, read 1,995,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
And -- honestly -- the biggest weight to applying to ANY college anywhere is that SAT score and/or the AP exam score. Not so sure BE would be more known out of state than Wando. I think both probably don't register on any of the really important out of state colleges radar.
In general, I agree. But when specifically talking about Catholic colleges, a Catholic high school as old as BE with their reputation does or at least did 10-15 years ago I didn't mean to imply that you would be admitted just because you went to BE, you still have to have good grades and test scores.

I actually know someone who went to Notre Dame and was there on a tour during his senior year. He mentioned that he went to "a Catholic high school in Charleston" and the admissions counselor said "oh, you mean Bishop England?" He's a few years older than me so this would have been in the mid 90's.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:28 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,714,462 times
Hmmmm...a Catholic school...wonder if they teach right of choice....if not....one reason you might have trouble getting accepted into my non-catholic university...or maybe the reason you would get accepted..to show you the light...that sectarian education can go either way.

"Ring Knockers" can help, but only with fellow "Ring Knockers".

Old 11-08-2012, 06:28 AM

780 posts, read 1,547,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
In my opinion Wando is a great school, for a government run institution, but if you can afford the private school go for it the smaller classes and better teachers are worth it...

As to which better prepares you for the world, the government school, college probably neither one unless you are going to go to a religious college....
Smaller classes, yes.....better teachers is a matter of opinion.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:53 AM

7,928 posts, read 17,394,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnasty View Post
Smaller classes, yes.....better teachers is a matter of opinion.
Do you know the teachers there?

I do, my wife works in education and knows many, also my future daughter in law went there...

Old 11-08-2012, 08:58 AM

780 posts, read 1,547,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomCat View Post
Do you know the teachers there?

I do, my wife works in education and knows many, also my future daughter in law went there...

The question is what is your basis of comparison? Not, "Do you know the teachers there?" Your statement painted a broad brush for teachers outside of B.E. by implying that they are inferior. My wife has been an educator for over 20 years in several states so I too know many educators in public and private schools as my sons attend both.

I also know a couple of parents who have pulled their kids out of B.E. for reasons not related to the financial commitment. So experiences vary.

As I said, it is a matter of opinion.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:04 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,062,996 times
We'll be relocating to MP by December and will be sending our two daughters to Wando (eventually), in like, 9-10 years.

My understanding is that there will be another high school built by then.
Any rumors as to where/when and what the geographic divider will be? (we'll be living in Dunes West)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area