Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 08:15 PM

469 posts, read 891,897 times

Advertisements

It might have been a tad lower than that - not the $1100 part, but I don't remember $1300. My son was looking at 1 and 2 bedrooms. He took all the literature we got back with him so I don't have any of those notes. We saw The Ashley Floor Plan and a 1 bedroom one - the Eliot I think. The reason they don't post the rates (and a lot of the others don't either) is they use some kind of computer program that fluctuates their rates as much as daily. They look at how many they have available of a particular floor plan (and some other things too that I can't remember) and if there is a lot of them, the rate will be lower, not many, the rate higher. I thought I remembered the agent telling my son that he could look online to see availability of each type of unit. I just looked thought and couldn't find it. If you like that area and that's in your price range, Heron Reserve would be good and there was another we didn't see called Hadden Hall (or something like that) that we didn't see because they were in that range. We probably would have gone to these partiuclar apartments, but because we were at Edgewater, we figure they were probably less expensive because Edgewater was in Mt Pleasant and Woodfield was in West Ashley. That didn't really turn out to be the case. But Woodfield at Southpoint ended up being my son's favorite. As he said - this will be my "move-up" place when he figures exactly what his paycheck will be. Because he doesn't know what that will be yet, he doesn't want to make himself house poor. If he knew someone in Charleston and there was a possibility of a room mate, he would definitely consider it.

Last edited by Go To Girl; 03-20-2012 at 08:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 06:17 AM

Several people have asked me what he ended up choosing. He put a deposit down on Sabal Palms this week. He waited until the time frame was such that he could actually choose his apartment and have them hold it for him.

I had someone who sent me a direct message pleading with me to let him choose his own place and if I did, he'd probably choose someplace in downtown Charleston that might not be up to my standards, but would be a great experience for him because he'd be around a lot of people closer to his own age and who wouldn't want to live downtown. Even though I'm the one who wrote all this, I do want to assure everyone that he absolutely chose his areas to look and his final apartment. I didn't even find out he'd done it and what his final choice was until a couple of days after he did it. I approve of his choice, but like I said earlier, I would have been comfortable with any of the places we saw.

Last edited by Go To Girl; 04-12-2012 at 07:03 AM..

Old 04-12-2012, 06:47 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,044,199 times
That program -- using availability of units & area vacancy rates is being used by most apartment facilities these days. Market determines rate.......and given Charleston's low vacancy rate you know what that means........higher rates.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:02 AM

Yes, a lot of the complexes mentioned the computer program that figured their rates based on availability and whatnot. One thing that did strike me was the number of vacancies in these places. We'd go to a complex with 300 units, and they'd have less than 5 vacancies in the whole place....and that included ones that weren't vacant yet, but had given notice. I was amazed.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:55 PM

My son moved into Sabal Palms over Memorial Day weekend. We stayed with him the first couple of days. I didn't hear one sound coming from any neighbors other than the slight sound of water when a toilet would flush in the morning in either the apt above or below him (he didn't really want the 2nd floor, but that's all they had). And that was when it was dead quiet in his apartment - he doesn't watch television and cable was hooked up, but he had not connected his TV yet. And I was concerned by the lack of a coat closet or a linen closet or a pantry closet at first, but once we got there - the laundry room is MONSTER-SIZED. He put a washer and dryer in it (goes on a side wall) and he (of course) had the shelf over that. We bought an additional shelf to go against the back wall that was about 3 feet wide (we bought the 4 foot one - it would have fit, but then we realized that if he moved, it would never fit anywhere else) and about 6 feet tall. He would have had enough room for even another one of those on the other side wall, but that's where he put his vacuum cleaner and it left open space. There is tons of cabinet space in the kitchen - in fact, the kitchen is an eat-in kitchen so big enough for a small table (4 person max probably), the bathroom is unbelievably huge as well, and his bedroom closet (he got a 1 bedroom with a sunroom unit) is not walk-in - but it takes up 1 entire wall in length. He put a queen sized bed with 2 night stands, a chest of drawers, and a bookshelf in the bedroom. He would have easily had room for a kind sized bed with a dresser instead of the chest. His living room is quite big enough for his furniture and the sun room is a nice added bonus. Time will tell, but I think he will be very satisfied there. If anyone happens to go to Sabal Palms because of this, shoot me a pm. He gets a referral bonus if someone comes in and they decide to lease. (Mom's got to take care of her son even when he's 3 hours away).

Old 06-05-2012, 07:27 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,595,052 times
I know someone that lives where your son lives and she loves it. She said it was the best place she has lived at in West Ashley.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:23 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,051,527 times
My husband and I are moving into ShadowMoss Pointe tomorrow. I really appreciate these posts because this is where I got the information from to find out where to call about vacancies, etc. Thanks for doing all this research so others on here don't have to . Wishing your son well in Charleston!

Old 06-07-2012, 04:35 PM

3,256 posts, read 5,283,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudPatriot07 View Post
My husband and I are moving into ShadowMoss Pointe tomorrow. I really appreciate these posts because this is where I got the information from to find out where to call about vacancies, etc. Thanks for doing all this research so others on here don't have to . Wishing your son well in Charleston!
If you need a break, join us for a margarita! Welcome

Old 06-13-2012, 03:59 PM

5 posts, read 8,238 times
Ashley Grove would rank as one of the 3, possibly 4 complex's I would not want to live in. The term "Sketchy" comes to mind.. I lived in Middleton and Heron Reserve, currently at the Colony at Heron Reserve. I've viewed most every complex in W.A.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:55 AM

I think The Colony at Heron Reserve has an access point by the Sabal Palms drive - not sure if it's a usable one, but based on us touring Heron Reserve and seeing the main one off there, it looks like it could be since the 2 complexes are neighbors.....albeit not real close ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area