Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 09:20 AM

4 posts, read 8,665 times

Advertisements

So, I've spent the past couple of weeks poking around West Ashley looking for a new apartment, and naturally the only insight I've gained has come from the formulaic walking tours given by management. I have yet to see a complex I dislike at first glance, so I haven't been able to really cross any off of the list.

Just wondered if anyone had lived in any of the following, or if anybody's got suggestions. We've lived downtown for a year and change, and we're ready to get off of the peninsula. So far, I've been to Spanish Oaks (looked nice), Woodbridge (eh?), Castlewood (haven't walked through yet), Planter's Trace, and I'm heading to Sabal Palms and James Towne Village (not west ashley, but hey, couldn't hurt) today. Also, to note, we ruled out Ashley Grove when we relocated from out of state a year ago.

Thanks a bunch for any help, y'all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 09:52 AM

41 posts, read 60,905 times
Check out the Palms too...good price, good location. I've been here for a little over a year and have had nothing but good experiences with management.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:19 AM

324 posts, read 807,384 times
I just moved a few weeks ago to Village Square apartments. I like it so far. It's affordable and I feel safe. The complex used to have a bad rap a few years ago but they have fixed that. My neighbors are a mix of families and foreign exchange students. Work orders have been fixed quickly. The location is great for me with everything right around the corner. Honestly my only complaint is that I haven't been able to find an outgoing mailbox on the property yet, but there is a post office right around the corner.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:51 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,592,567 times
I have heard a lot of good things about Sabel.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:03 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,639,255 times
How about the new ones over there by Costco?

Old 03-30-2013, 01:20 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,504,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Rick Hiott View Post
How about the new ones over there by Costco?
Abberly at West Ashley? I almost looked at them but previous threads about those scared me off.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:05 PM

4 posts, read 8,665 times
I did hear a bit about Abberly, but I think the price point was too high. I did add the Palms to my list yesterday, and I like them. The location there is a big plus. Village Square is a name I haven't heard yet, I'll have to run by there soon.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Old 03-30-2013, 04:18 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,049,651 times
Shadowmoss Pointe
Colonial Village at Westchase
Colonial Village at Hampton Point
Bolton's Landing
Berkshire's at Ashley River

I have a friend who lives at Village Square. Those and the Palms are both great locations. Colonial village at hampton point is also a great central location. Shadomoss, Bolton's, and Westchase are good if you want something a little more secluded and away from the action.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:05 AM

2 posts, read 3,552 times
I am looking to relocate to Charleston in the very near future. I am looking to live in the West Ashley area. I found your post from when you were looking for an apartment last year. I am curious as to which complex you ended up moving to and what solidified your decision? I have only toured Woodbridge in that area so far. Can you share why you marked it as an Eh? facility? Any information you can share will be appreciated. Thank you.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:04 PM

17 posts, read 33,934 times
I'm not the OP but I moved to Charleston from out-of-state in July and I did a lot of online apartment research, as I could not get down here prior to moving to check places out in person. I ended up choosing Woodbridge. I think I lucked out! I'm not sure why they said it was "eh". The apartment buildings by the leasing office are older but if you turn left when you enter the complex and follow it around past the first building, they are all newer. I live in one of them and I have had no issues with the apartment. It's a one bedroom and it's not huge, but it's enough for just my dog and I (except that the only storage closet is also the washer/dryer room and if you rent a washer and dryer like I did, there isn't room for much else. I have felt safe here, especially as a single female, and I get home from work at all hours of the night and day due to my career.

I also like the location. I am very close to 526, 15 minutes from downtown, 30 minutes (give or take depending on traffic) to Folly Beach, and have many places to shop nearby.

On a side note, I would not recommend Colonial Village at Westchase apartments. My friend lives there and they are very tiny, much older, and not the safest.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area