Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 03:08 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,775,979 times

Advertisements

It may be difficult at best finding a home in the Summerville area on a 1/2+ acre lot for under $325,000. The two least expensive single family homes in the Summerville area on the market today are listed at $339,000 and $355,000. Most homes on such larger lots will be in the $400,000+ range. Keep in mind that the real estate market in the Charleston area is to say the least "soft" and there often will be some descent negotiating room with many homes. If you can live with less than 1/2 acre you will have quite a few excellent options in the Summerville area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 07:08 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,679,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyNJMom View Post
Hi-
Although our boys are in elementary school I'm concerned about the high schools. They seem so big (2000+ students). Are they overcrowded? Will the new schools just accomodate the growth or will it lower the number of students at the established schools? Does anyone know what neighborhoods will go to the new school?
Yes there are some schools that are overcrowded. They have portable classrooms (trailer's) to accomodate the overcrowding. The two new high schools that are being built will help a few year's, less than 5, but with all the new construction they will also be overcrowded.

I was told by one of the ass't principal's at one of the local high schools that will be affected by one of the new high schools that the superintendant plans to leave the trailer's at this high school because with the construction that is being planned the lines will have to be redrawn again and it will send the students back to this high school that were originally suppose to attend it. Right now the whole freshman class are in trailer's.

I do know Legend Oak will attend the new high school.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:01 PM

899 posts, read 3,490,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvsdabeach View Post
I was told by one of the ass't principal's...
that the superintendant plans...
I was not told that by the superintendant, whom I spoke to in person.

I live & sell in Legend Oaks,
I know & sell In Ashborough,
I come from NJ.

Now, what do you want to know?

I'll track down each person, that said something to someone, in order for them to stand by their statement.

jim

Old 11-18-2007, 11:20 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,761,744 times
As for choosing between Mt. Pleasant, that would certainly depend on personal taste: both have great schools and beautiful homes, M.P. is closer to beaches, but Summerville has more reasonably priced homes. I personally would choose Summerville because of the quaint, original downtown section, historical homes, lower priced homes, and it's away from the coast for hurricane season.

About James Island, for those who asked: I lived on James Island for 14 years before moving out to Johns Island 12 years ago and I also teach on James Island so I am coming from experience, not heresay. James Island is rapidly becoming more and more populated, which is compromising its integrity, in my opinion. There are many older, settled neighborhoods as well as many new middle- and higher- priced neighborhoods. Our elem. school is one of 8 in the entire area which received an excellent rating and met AYP and there are other good elem. schools on J.I. too. The middle schools are pretty good (it's hard to find a middle school anywhere which is considered to be "excellent" due to the "stage of life" middle school students are in and the issues associated with it - ha), and James Island Charter High School is noted for its Academic Team, strong parental support, sports, and marching band. James Islanders have good, old-fashioned (I say this in a positive way) values and morals, strong sense of family, and pride in their schools, sports, and community. I hope this helps give those of you who asked, a feel for James Island. I just wish it weren't being developed so quickly....and now the developers are infilitrating Johns Island - my neck of the woods.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim3310 View Post
I was not told that by the superintendant, whom I spoke to in person.

jim
Jim are you talking about the Dorchester Co. superintendant? I was talking about the Berkeley Co. one.

Cane Bay is being built to only hold 1500 students which is the same as Stratford was built to hold. The students that now attend Sangaree schools are being sent to Cane Bay. Once most of the new construction is built the lines will need to be changed back to where some if not all of the students attending Sangaree schools will be sent back to Stratford. That's why the trailer's will stay at Stratford.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:12 AM

899 posts, read 3,490,417 times
Yes, sorry, it was Dorchester I was referring to. Different section of Sangaree.

If that is the case with Berkeley, it stinks. I hate to see kids moved back & forth between schools & so do the teachers.

Hopefully we can control this a bit more. The parents will make themselves known.

Old 11-19-2007, 07:29 AM

No prob. I should have noted that in my post.

I don't understand why not make Cane Bay hold more students? You see all the development going up there. It's going to be overcrowded in the next several year's. I've been hearing 5 but who knows. I've also heard, just from talk of parent's and teacher's, that they are over budget on the school also. Not sure how true it is though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area