Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 03:29 PM

40 posts, read 226,884 times

Advertisements

Okay, I previously posted a threat about relocating, but I had a few questions as that post was mainly about relocating from FL to SC. My mom's fiance lives in Daniel Island. He's given us a lot of info about the area, but we just can't afford it there. Can anyone tell me how the 2 cities compare, differ, etc...? How do the schools compare? I know Mt. Pleasant has a larger population. Is the traffic worse? I've also noticed that the housing is cheaper in Summerville. Is it the old saying "you get what you pay for"? Or, is it just because it's farther away from Charleston? We want to spend $300-350k on a 4/2 + house in a safe neighborhood with good schools in a family friendly area. Is that possible? I just want to get the low-down on the crime, schools, etc... before we make a final decision. Sorry for all the questions, but I just don't want to make a blind move. We're going to be visiting either in March or April and would like to have a little info before we come. Thanks so much for any feedback, I really appreciate it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2007, 03:32 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,910,223 times
MP MP MP mp is great but if housing prices is the issue I would suggest summerville

Old 02-27-2007, 04:26 PM

890 posts, read 4,328,632 times
The entire Charleston area has traffic issues. Any of the coastal areas around Charleston you will pay more for housing. Summerville is roughly 25 miles inland from Charleston. You can get the same kind of home in Summerville by the same builders that you can in Mount Pleasant, but you will pay more in Mount Pleasant for the location of being closer to the ocean and the land being more expensive. Your insurance will run higher too being closer to the ocean. Housing in Summerville isn't exactly cheap, it just seems that way when comparing it to areas near the Charleston coast. Summerville housing compared to other areas around the state is considered expensive.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:33 PM

82 posts, read 391,608 times
Don't forget your homeowners insurance should be cheaper in Summerville (inland) than Mt. Pleasant (coastal) as well...right?

Old 02-27-2007, 05:28 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,534,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflynns View Post
Don't forget your homeowners insurance should be cheaper in Summerville (inland) than Mt. Pleasant (coastal) as well...right?
Exactly! Mount Pleasant is gorgeous, you are right by the ocean. But the homeowner's insurance is going to eat your alive. (hurricanes).

Old 03-01-2007, 08:21 PM

40 posts, read 226,884 times
Thanks for your replies. Hopefully we'll be making the move sooner than later. At least now I have something to go on!!

Old 03-02-2007, 08:27 AM

mom,

I dont know where you are coming from but the homeowners insurances isnt that bad. Still cheaper than living in NJ, CT, MASS, VT, NY, PA, Cal,or DC area.

So have a look at both areas and decide on Mtns or Ocean. Good hunting

Old 03-02-2007, 05:24 PM

4 posts, read 15,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
So have a look at both areas and decide on Mtns or Ocean.
Do you really mean this? Summerville is a little more than 30 minutes from the beach. Still part of the lowcountry.

I would recommend Summerville over Mt. Pleasant. I personally get a weird feeling when I'm in Mt. Pleasant. It seems a lot of people there are fake, and obsessed with their image. Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-02-2007, 05:43 PM

no my faux pas, i was thinking spartanburg closer to the mountains.

My hometown is Mt Pleasant and family has been there since before the Revolution so, to me it is perfect but the transplants are coming from the North and Some(not all) bring with them very bad habits like they will not look you in the eye, they are rude and only think about themselves.

real mt pleasanters are a delight with great southern hospitality

Old 03-02-2007, 07:37 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,877,053 times
Jack, whar do you pay for homeowners insurance in Mt. P? I am in Pawleys, exactly 1.5 miles from both the ocean & intracoastal and pay a little over $3500 a year with USF & G. I may have gotten lucky even getting a policy at all from some of the horror stories I've read about and Farm Bureau quoted me $7K a year. As a comparison I was paying less than $2K a year for waterfront on Long Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area