Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2011, 12:28 PM

3 posts, read 15,980 times

Advertisements

I will be in Charleston in March and know that some children's smocked clothing outlets are headquarted there, like Shrimp and Grits. Are there any headquarter outlets you can visit to get good deals? I've also heard rumours that you can buy smocked dresses at the market for cheap too, is there any truth to this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 05:50 AM

602 posts, read 1,516,329 times
There used to be an outlet shop at Tangers Outlet Mall. Can't remember if it's still there though.

Kids on King St, while not an outlet, appears to have lots of smocked clothing. You might could call them to see if there is an outlet anywhere.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:14 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
I know this may not coincide with your visit, but the Rosalina plant in Summerville has a tent sale every spring--they don't release the date to the public until just before, or maybe you have to be on their mailing list?

Would also be interested in the outlets..., though. I know there are more in MS and AL.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:56 PM

859 posts, read 1,362,404 times
I have to get on my soapbox here - You may find smocked clothing outlets, and retail stores, and 'company headquarters' for smocked children's clothing, but -

Please be aware that there's very, very little local smocking done here in Charleston anymore. Most if not all companies are farming out their work to Mexico, the Philipines, and China; and still charging the high-end, 'hand smocked' prices, while paying those workers pennies.

Years ago, I made smocked clothing and sold to a shop on Kiawah, a shop in Myrtle Beach, as well as private clients. I was one of many women who developed this skill and craft as a cottage industry, as it was something we could do at home while raising babies.

Now, it's a highly industrialized market, just like so much of everything else. Makes me sad.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caili View Post
I have to get on my soapbox here - You may find smocked clothing outlets, and retail stores, and 'company headquarters' for smocked children's clothing, but -

Please be aware that there's very, very little local smocking done here in Charleston anymore. Most if not all companies are farming out their work to Mexico, the Philipines, and China; and still charging the high-end, 'hand smocked' prices, while paying those workers pennies.

I understand your grief at the passing of an art form here in the United States.

However, please be aware that smocking is still an art form, only now it is being taught in underdeveloped nations.

Are you familiar with a company named Remember Nguyen? This company employs impovrished workers from rural Vietnam and teaches them smocking and pays them a wage. Yes, that wage may only be pennies, but at least it IS a wage.

Furthermore, I cannot think of a single manufacturer of children's clothes that does not have the clothes sewn in China, the Phillipines, South America, etc. Kelly's Kids, Orient Expressed (where do you think the name comes from), etc. are all overseas now. Regular store brands like Gymboree/Janie and Jack, etc. are also sewn overseas.

As far as paying high prices for the smocked clothes, I would rather pay $45.00 for a smocked dress that I can resell on Ebay for $30.00 when my daughter outgrows it vs. spending $35.00 for something from Gymboree that I may only get $5.00 for.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:27 PM

119 posts, read 301,455 times
I missed the tent sale in March. Anyone have an idea when the next one might be?

Old 06-28-2011, 09:07 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,518,581 times
I am not sure if there is a Hamrick's store in the Charleston area but you may want to do a search. There have some really adorable smocked dresses/outfits.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:54 AM

506 posts, read 1,025,818 times
Default Hamrick's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
I am not sure if there is a Hamrick's store in the Charleston area but you may want to do a search. There have some really adorable smocked dresses/outfits.
There is a Hamrick's in the strip mall at the corner of Dorchester and Ashley Phosphate, but you better hurry, I read in the Post and Courier that they are closing in September.

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2011/jun/23/hamricks-will-close-by-end-of-september/ (broken link)

Old 06-29-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NP2B View Post
I missed the tent sale in March. Anyone have an idea when the next one might be?
December.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:26 PM

36 posts, read 74,398 times
I know the original post was old... But for new smocks I like to go to Charleston Child (W.Ashley in S. Windermere). If you are looking for bargains, I'd suggest buying 2nd hand (Munchkins in MtP or Once Upon a Child)-- I've sometimes found brand new smocks with the tags still on being sold at used clothing stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area