Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 11:40 AM

12 posts, read 14,715 times

Advertisements

My wife and I (mid 50's) are planning on moving to the Charleston area in the very near future. We have been going back and forth between Folly and James Island for the past 6 months. We are currently in a small town (pop 1600) in NJ where we have lived for the past 17 years. We also own a wholesale company which we will also be moving, so employment is a non-issue as were are bringing our jobs with us.

We like the small town vibe of Folly --excluding the summer tourist season--as it is what we are used to. Being self employed we have found out that being involved in the town is more conducive to making friends as opposed to being in a suburban neighborhood.

On the other hand we can buy much more house (Budget 400K + -) on James Island with all the bells and whistles-master bath, garage, laundry room, etc. and lower property taxes. But then we think the home on Folly will appreciate much more in 10 years than on James. This is assuming the real estate market returns to normal in the future. By normal I mean historically not the RE boom of the past few years.

Any help would be appreciate, as we are getting dizzy flopping back and forth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 11:51 AM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
If you can deal with the tourist traffic in the summer Folly beach is a wonderful place to be....

What part of Jersey are you moving from?

I am originally from S. Jersey, Egg Harbor City.....

Old 12-22-2010, 12:07 PM

12 posts, read 14,715 times
Frenchtown-20 miles north of Trenton on the Delaware River. House was built in 1850 which we renovated so Folly bungalow has appeal to the renovator in me.

Wife grew up on Long Beach Island and says Folly is like LBI in the 60's which is why she likes it

Old 12-22-2010, 12:21 PM

7,934 posts, read 17,330,260 times
Good for yall....

Hope you enjoy the relocation....

Old 12-22-2010, 01:21 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,639,987 times
For me it would be James Island. I have lived there for about 3 years.

Im just not the Folly Island kind of person. The traffic is horrible in the summer time.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:21 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
If you are looking at Folly, you should also look at Isle of Palms and Sullivan's Island (if you have not already done so). You might also like Wadmalaw.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:11 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,518,581 times
Both places are beautiful. Folly is a bit more laid back than JI, but in either place your are close enough to enjoy the other. You will definitely get more house for your money on JI.

Isle of Palms and Sullivan's Island are nice as well, but as I understand it is quite political to live there
and the summer traffic is much worse. Sullivan's I believe the town council enacted a law where you can't even whistle or sing out loud if that says anything. LOL!!

JI or Folly are both beautiful places......

Old 12-22-2010, 07:15 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,639,987 times
,,,she is right!
If I had to live on one of the barier Islands,,,It would be Folly!
I don't even like going to Sullivan's or Isl of Palm.........

Old 12-23-2010, 05:43 AM

662 posts, read 1,411,246 times
I would definitely choose Folly Beach over the other barrier islands. It sure does have an old LBI feel. I'm from NJ too and as a kid, we used to vacation there every summer. James Island and Folly are so close to one another you would be able to enjoy both, but if I had the chance to live on or nearer to the beach, thats what I would choose. Just my opinion. Anyway, welcome and enjoy yourselves. You will love the people here and the climate and all there is to do.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:14 AM

2,501 posts, read 7,764,885 times
I would opt for Folly Beach too, but it will be hard to find something in the $400K range there. You can get a lot more for your money on James Island with Folly just being 5 minutes away. Best of both worlds!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area