Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 08:26 AM

746 posts, read 2,175,874 times

Advertisements

Ok, in anticipation of our next relocation, we are planning on dropping our current phone service and signing up for one of the two cell phone services that have good coverage in the new area. Which by the way, happen to be US Cellular and Verizon. My concern is being able to talk to our daughter in France. I looked at both websites, but I don't see any information on international calls.

Currently, she has a phone with unlimited international calling, so she calls us on our landline. Can she call our cell phones without us ending up with a huge fee? At a minimum, I want her to be able to call us, but ideally, I'd like to be able to call her as well. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 08:49 AM

18 posts, read 93,041 times
Check into getting a "Skype to Go number" it may be what your looking for. I use Skype all the time and really enjoy it.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:53 PM

4 posts, read 15,790 times
If you don't mind staying up a bit late at night, you can make the 7 or 8 hour time difference between CST and France time work in your favor but making sure she calls you after 9pm CST when you get free calls on your cell phone.

For outgoing calls, same idea, except use a calling card or a US telecom company like, for example 3Utelecom (Telna - Telecom North America, formerly 3U Telecom**********(cheap long distance and low international phone rates)). You can set up an account with them and just call a 1-800 number from your cell phone (ideally when you have free minutes) and then the France number, much like you would with a calling card. The /min charges should be very small.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:13 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,569,866 times
I'm thinking about dropping my landline, which I only really have to make international calls anyway, and going to a calling card. There should be no problem using it from my cell, right? That telecom idea sounds good too.

It is really silly. I pay about $35/month to make at most a half hour - 45 minute call once a month. So I am already paying $.50-1/minute.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:31 PM

939 posts, read 3,385,469 times
I would use an international calling card. You'll pay a fortune otherwise.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:57 PM

86 posts, read 326,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekduo View Post
Ok, in anticipation of our next relocation, we are planning on dropping our current phone service and signing up for one of the two cell phone services that have good coverage in the new area. Which by the way, happen to be US Cellular and Verizon. My concern is being able to talk to our daughter in France. I looked at both websites, but I don't see any information on international calls.

Currently, she has a phone with unlimited international calling, so she calls us on our landline. Can she call our cell phones without us ending up with a huge fee? At a minimum, I want her to be able to call us, but ideally, I'd like to be able to call her as well. Any suggestions?
For sure US Cellular and Verizon can call international numbers, the question is their rates. Use an alternative like phone cards or voip service to save on long distance cost otherwise you'll pay twice or 3 times the rate for calling France.

Receiving calls on your cell phone only consume your mobile minutes no matter where the call is coming from (US, France or somewhere in the middle of Australian outback)

Old 07-15-2009, 06:09 PM

4 posts, read 15,806 times
I would agree with vinrej about using calling cards or voip service to avoid the expensive rates charged by mobile carriers for international calls. Even if you pay the extra monthly fee to get a discount on the rates you're still paying 2-3 times as much per minute for the calls as you can get otherwise.

In addition to simply using an international calling card, if you have a smartphone (iPhone, Blackberry, etc.), there are some cell phone international calling plans available now that will automatically route international calls to their network via local access numbers - saves a lot of extra dialing and the rates are competitive with calling cards.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:03 AM

2,002 posts, read 4,583,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGlenn View Post
I would use an international calling card. You'll pay a fortune otherwise.
I use those cards too. But I don't call very often.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:24 PM

3 posts, read 13,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekduo View Post

The best answer you will find is: Skype.
Best thing since sliced bread.

You can buy an international unlimited calling package
(~35 countries are in the package) for ~$14/month or $132/year

Use their Skype To Go service. Here is how it works: They'll give you up to 5 numbers for free that are local calls to where you live. They are your own private number to access your Skype account. When dialing France, or anywhere else in the world, you dial your Skype To Go number and reach the foreign telephone number by using a two stage dialing process (more or less the same as using a prepaid calling card).

I use Skype To Go with local access numbers in LA, Seattle, Chicago and London. I can access those numbers using the cheapest means possible (the long distance plan and minutes with my cell, or a wireline or public phone in those cities). Unfortunately there are no local Skype To Go numbers available in France for calling back to the states but their international calling plan mentioned above will let you call france wireline phones for free under the plan. Note calls are not free to cell numbers listed for most countries in the plan, including France.

For example, many public telephones in the UK charge 40p for up to 20 minutes anywhere nationwide. So I can call back to the US anywhere in the UK by accessing my Skype To Go number in London for only 40p.

Between the international calling plan and Skype To Go, your whole family and even friends can use one account to save.

Hope that helps and good luck.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:58 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,757,602 times
If you have Metro PCS where you live, you can get unlimited international calls for $5 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones