Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 01:37 PM

738 posts, read 1,884,020 times

Advertisements

I have deep respect for Bill Cosby!!!! He is trying to instill in these young people what their parents and family members should have been doing all along. Positive role models-who do we really have??????

We need more people like Bill Cosby.
And people- Take care of your responsibility, quit depending on others!!!!!!

PS I don't see color

Last edited by RAZZEL; 03-14-2008 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: to add

Old 03-14-2008, 02:24 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,450,741 times
Bill Cosby is referring to the black underclass, NOT all of the black "community". Most middle to upper middle class blacks don't have these issues.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:49 PM

947 posts, read 3,138,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldiebutgoodie26 View Post
Why is it the responsibility of the federal gov't (MY TAXES!) to pay for the rearing of someone else's children?

Bill Cosby worked hard for what he has. He certainly was not a child of the privileged. And he's from Philly, which could use some of his advice. Instead of listening to his message of "get to work, work hard, stay out of trouble, have goals, no one owes you anything, lift yourself up, don't depend on gov't handouts"- all they want is their check in the mail.

He has been saying this forever. The "black leadership" in his community want to shut him up, b/c THEY benefit from other's misery. I am sickened that they reject his message of self sufficiency. It is hard work that is going to get people out of poverty- not a gov't handout.

Tricky D, don't fall for the class envy line, either. You are going to slight him because he has more money than you? Here's a man who worked hard for what he has, used his gifts and talents to become and stay successful. He wasn't always loaded with money- he earned it. And I do not understand why that message is being rejected by his critics. Well, yes I do: Keep people dependent upon the gov't- keep those who write the checks in power, keep the population stupid, uninspired, unmotivated- and blame all your problems on ......everyone else. Life is much easier then.

Good for Dr. Cosby. Keep up the good fight! I have always admired his talent, but I admire what he does off camera even more.

AAAMen!!!!!

Old 03-16-2008, 07:29 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,089,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dan View Post
Dr. Cosby is really saying the same thing Dr. Martin Luther King said many years ago. He said "learn baby learn. so you can earn baby earn!" he didnt say anything about handouts. Yet Black America holds Dr. King in high regard and discounts Dr. Cosby. I dont get it. I doubt Dr. King would be proud of Black America today. I am one of the most liberal Democrats you will ever meet. Hell, I am damn near a Commie! But guess what? The well is running dry. In the Black community now you never hear the words "my husband". you only hear the term "my babys daddy". X2 or X3 or X4. i hear people like Rev. Al [although i have no clue what he is the Reverend of] saying that blacks are owed this or that because of past injustices.Sorry! But NO! White America owes you a HAND UP not a HAND OUT! And if you dont take the HAND UP pretty soon the hand will be withdrawn altogether and Black America can just drown in the cesspool that it is creating for itself! JMO
I don't know why I keep feeling compelled to post in these racial threads.

Anywhoo, I want to say that I agree with your "baby daddy" assessment. However, I don't think most people of other races use this term, so the fact that it is prevalent in black communities doesn't really say anything. There's also "sperm donor" or just "ex", which I've heard used by alot of white folks and neither one implies that anyone was ever married. Also, you don't have to be married to be together and raising your children together. I prefer it that way myself, but it doesn't have to be done this way and isn't always.

Also, I don't see what's so great about saying you have a "husband" when so many marriages (all races included) end in divorce anyway.

I also don't like to see the "baby daddy" x2... referring only to the black community either. There are tons of white folks out there who have kids with more than one person. And it does not make it any better if they get married, have kids and divorce several times.

I don't think blacks are owed anything because of past injustices. Alot of opportunities can be had if you look for them. Although, I didn't grow up in an area where it is all that hard for black people to "come up", so I can't say this is true for everywhere in the country. "White America" doesn't owe a hand up either. "America" should give a hand up to anyone of any race who needs it. If they can give it to immigrants...they can give it to poor or struggling people who are born here.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:31 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,114,518 times
I'm going to close this thread temporarily for moderator review.

It doesn't seem like the right forum for this conversation.

Thanks to all that participated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities