Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 04:20 PM

774 posts, read 1,693,274 times

Advertisements

If you spend time in NY, DC, LA, or even Miami, you've doubtless seen it... people hounding 'celebrities' for their autographs. Will someone explain to me what the purpose of a celebrity's autograph is? Why must people demand them all the time? What do they do with them?

Then they go brag to anyone who'll listen about the famous person that they saw. Is it some expectation of reflected glory or something? Internet forums even have threads about 'what famous person have you seen' etc with thousands of posts. I really don't get it. Like, "the person I met is more famous/worthy/attractive than the person you met, therefore I rule!" Huh?

Emerson: "Fame is proof that people are gullible."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 07:52 PM

850 posts, read 1,546,137 times
Some people are just into it. I am not going to judge someone just because they want an autograph. Its no different than someone waiting in line to watch a Baseball game or Football. If it makes them happy, so be it. Just stay in reality.

They don't know you and could care less. Without your support and money they would be nothing.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:01 PM

774 posts, read 1,693,274 times
Okay, I wasn't judging--just asking a question to help me understand.

But you're right, it's not that important that I understand. Thanks anyway.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:50 AM

3,984 posts, read 5,013,418 times
I don't really think of myself that way but I think it has to do with a show/movie/song you like and then you see that famous person in your ordinary world. It's kind of cool to see someone famous schmuckin' along in a place where you are...but I certainly don't run after them for an autograph. I used to think it would be cool...then, one time, I was at the Fair and saw William Fichtner and Wade Williams (during the filming of Prison Break) right in front of the corny dog stand with their families. I thought, they probably want to be left alone to eat that ol' corny dog...I'm not about to intrude. It was cool because I enjoyed that show so much.

For me, that's all it was. I suppose there are some autographs worth a lot of money to collectors. I would be a little crazy if someone important, say the President, was in my small little world, too. I don't place them above me, but I do think it's cool for some reason...trying to explain it but I don't know how clear I've been...

Old 07-24-2013, 12:07 PM

18,526 posts, read 18,735,742 times
I would never go up to a celeb in the street to ask for an autograph but I have written to some big stars over the years and got lovely signed photos back from them . some very sweet with personal details which is quite unusual.. I try to get old movie stars, as I love all the old style films so I have Maureen Ohara, who I wrote to in Bantry Ireland a couple of years ago.... but its nicer to send your own photo of the person and a stamped addressed envelope for them to send it back to you..... I did have quite a few stars from the past, but lost them in a house move sadly... but have a collection of Doris Day letters, cards and autographed photos Ive collected over 25 years... She always replies , but might take about five weeks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities