Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 09:59 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,024,681 times

Advertisements

I finally got on facebook and I've discovered friends who have gone on to be "successes". They post pictures of their lovely wifes and kids. They finished college and own nice houses. Sometimes I feel like such a loser, at 38 I'm getting such a late start on life. Then I think of George Clooney who everybody seems to respect or swoon over. The guy is handsome, charming personality, he's the modern day Cary Grant. When I finally get my career and money rolling, I think I'm going to be kind of like him. And I'm not talking about a party like there's no tomorrow bachelor type. George is well beyond that stage as well as I. George has that inner confidence which allows him to be himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 10:23 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,024,681 times
why the hell did I put an apostrophe on bachelors?

Old 04-18-2012, 02:07 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,389,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_scene View Post
And I'm not talking about a party like there's no tomorrow bachelor type. George is well beyond that stage as well as I. George has that inner confidence which allows him to be himself.
George also has the money, don't forget. I also think that it would be hard for people in his position to discern who wants to ride his coattails for the high life and the red carpet, and who would want to be with him for whoever he is. Truth be told, he has plenty of money where he could walk away, settle down, and have a few kids...and he could go forward without looking back and still have a great life. I guess some people are hooked on fame.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:08 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,419,471 times
I hardly see marriage and children as a sign of "success." If someone wants to be a husband and father, then it's a success for that person. Same with owning a house. I like to think one can have a "successful" adult life without any prefab symbols of it.
(For the record, I never married/don't believe in it/don't know anyone, never wanted kids and consider it a great success that I never stayed too long with the wrong guy, and never ended things with a right guy, never had an unplanned pregnancy or unwanted birth). I do have a house, but don't think of that as a societal success so much as something I wanted to do and worked hard to get).
The multiple adopted senior mutts are a pure pleasure, so I certainly consider that part of life a success.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:24 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,041,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I hardly see marriage and children as a sign of "success." If someone wants to be a husband and father, then it's a success for that person. Same with owning a house. I like to think one can have a "successful" adult life without any prefab symbols of it.
(For the record, I never married/don't believe in it/don't know anyone, never wanted kids and consider it a great success that I never stayed too long with the wrong guy, and never ended things with a right guy, never had an unplanned pregnancy or unwanted birth). I do have a house, but don't think of that as a societal success so much as something I wanted to do and worked hard to get).
The multiple adopted senior mutts are a pure pleasure, so I certainly consider that part of life a success.

amen ... same here......

Old 04-19-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
I agree with you. I think, though, that he has a playboy past that he can't shed or may not want to shed. I don't like kids either. That's someone else's job. However, there's something refreshing when someone who has made it BIG TIME in Hollywood can finally walk away, either alone, with a SO, or with kids, and aim for a more conventional life.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:32 AM

18,735 posts, read 33,419,471 times
Do you mean that Clooney is walking away at present? I don't think that's true. Not sure what you mean. I also agree that I've often thought, when someone gets hit with the lucky stick with some minor talent (See Under: Meg Ryan, the "Friends" cast- all of them- Demi Moore and on and on) why don't they take the huge bucks and go do something they want, anything? Start a foundation. Buy some apartment buildings and travel around the world. Give to groups that are doing things that interest you where you lack the skill, but have financial support for them. Do anything you want, but don't keep trying to get that lucky stick back! Also, admit that it *was* a lucky stick, and not some incredible talent.
George Clooney has talent, and has moved into directing and writing scripts that he clearly cares about, although they won't be (aren't) big hits. He does seem to always have a beautiful half-his-age not-accomplished woman by his side for about two years, and then it's on to the next one. Supposedly, Nicole Kidman bet him $10K that he'd be married with kids at age 40- she had to give the money to his specified charity. Said the same thing about 50.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Do you mean that Clooney is walking away at present? I don't think that's true. Not sure what you mean.

He does seem to always have a beautiful half-his-age not-accomplished woman by his side for about two years, and then it's on to the next one.
No. Didn't say he did. I said he could.

Yeah, the rotating girlfriends, almost as timely as the clock on St. Mark's Square, is getting to be a joke.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:55 AM

75 posts, read 195,982 times
I don't think there is anything wrong with not being married w/children by a certain age. However, you do get to be sort of a joke when you're much older than your "girlfriend." There comes a point when everyone knows the only reason the PYT on your arm is with you is becuase of your big bank account.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:01 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,701,093 times
Desert, you ARE NOT a loser because you are starting out late in life, not at all! I can relate to what you are saying, however. Whatever your chosen path/career, just do well in it, you can accomplish as much as anyone else. If the fire, the passion is there, it doesn't matter your age. I know what you are going through, I was there when I was younger. What is it that you are going to pursue, if you don't mind my asking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities