Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 02:18 PM

244 posts, read 722,264 times

Advertisements

My SIL's mom has an aging cat who is showing signs of a UTI (drinking a lot, taking multiple trips to the litter box w/ little urine). She doesn't want to subject her to a vet visit, as she has not been in many years and is an indoor only cat. She asked my opinion on what can be done. I told her you all would most likely suggest a vet visit(as I do) but wanted to know if it is possible to get antibiotics for her w/out taking her into the vet? Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 02:28 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,999,460 times
It is possible. Your SIL's mom may end up spending more money if it's the wrong kind of antibiotic or it isn't given correctly than she would just taking her to the vet in the first place. And the cat could continue to suffer or even get worse in the meantime.

I'm sure someone will come along and give you a website to look at soon.

Edited to add: Does the cat have a regular vet? Would it be possible for your SIL's mom to collect some urine to take it in and have the vet look at it? That way they will hopefully find out what they are dealing with without stressing out kitty. Many vets will do this if they have examined the pet at some point.

Last edited by kansas sky; 02-09-2010 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: add a suggestion

Old 02-09-2010, 02:43 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,637,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resilientsmile View Post
My SIL's mom has an aging cat who is showing signs of a UTI (drinking a lot, taking multiple trips to the litter box w/ little urine). She doesn't want to subject her to a vet visit, as she has not been in many years and is an indoor only cat. She asked my opinion on what can be done. I told her you all would most likely suggest a vet visit(as I do) but wanted to know if it is possible to get antibiotics for her w/out taking her into the vet? Thoughts?
See if there is a mobile veterinarian where your mother is located. We love Dr. Lawrence (Cat Calls) here in Cincinnati. And, the fully equipped van comes right here to the house for about $40 more than an office vet visit.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:52 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,355,691 times
Antibiotics are a tricky thing. You have figure out if you're getting or giving the right one. And then there's always the risk of the cat being allergic to the antibiotic. And you have to go to the vet, only this time it's more serious. I've seen a cat with a reaction and it's scary. I wouldn't want to order any drugs off the internet or anywhere for that reason.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:23 PM

2,029 posts, read 4,065,129 times
Quote:
Last summer my mom's cat the same symptoms, the cat is also elderly(16). We could not risk taking her to the vet because she is extremely timid. My mom was afraid the cat would die of fright. I did some poking around on the web looking for a holistic cure. I found info on Cantharis, a homeopathic medicine. It is used to treat UTI in humans and apparently cats. I found it at the local health food store. This was the treatment we did for Misty: 3 pellets 3x a day for 7 days. It worked! I would dissolve 3 pellets in a teaspoon of water; once dissolved I mixed it with 1/2 tablespoon of baby food. It was easier to keep track of using the small amount of baby food, this way we were sure she was getting all of the medicine. The medicine does have to be dissolved.

I just want to say, I'm not any kind of animal expert, and my first choice would be to see a vet first. I also know that doesn't always work for some cats. If my mom's cat had shown any other illness, such as vomiting or not eating, I would have then tried a mobile vet. We went with that treatment because the cat was fine, no vomiting, very healthy appetite. Good luck and please let us know how the kitty makes out.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:23 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,637,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseystarz View Post
Antibiotics are a tricky thing. You have figure out if you're getting or giving the right one. And then there's always the risk of the cat being allergic to the antibiotic. And you have to go to the vet, only this time it's more serious. I've seen a cat with a reaction and it's scary. I wouldn't want to order any drugs off the internet or anywhere for that reason.
I agree with this. But, FYI, people buy fish antibiotics from aquarium supply. They are all the same. Of course, the dose is different. But, why take the chance. Get a vet to come to the house.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:10 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,278,460 times
Quote:
It could also be a kidney problem, or other things.
Best advice is a good check up with a Vet as others have said.
Cats, especially elderly ones can be very sensitive to medications, wishing you all the best.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:21 AM

Thanks for all the replies so far. I also agree about the cat seeing a vet. But I also understand her mother's stress of having a skiddish old cat who may not have much time left.

I will forward along everyone's suggestions to her.

Thanks

Old 02-10-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouijeewoman View Post
Last summer my mom's cat the same symptoms, the cat is also elderly(16). We could not risk taking her to the vet because she is extremely timid. My mom was afraid the cat would die of fright. I did some poking around on the web looking for a holistic cure. I found info on Cantharis, a homeopathic medicine. It is used to treat UTI in humans and apparently cats. I found it at the local health food store. This was the treatment we did for Misty: 3 pellets 3x a day for 7 days. It worked! I would dissolve 3 pellets in a teaspoon of water; once dissolved I mixed it with 1/2 tablespoon of baby food. It was easier to keep track of using the small amount of baby food, this way we were sure she was getting all of the medicine. The medicine does have to be dissolved.

I just want to say, I'm not any kind of animal expert, and my first choice would be to see a vet first. I also know that doesn't always work for some cats. If my mom's cat had shown any other illness, such as vomiting or not eating, I would have then tried a mobile vet. We went with that treatment because the cat was fine, no vomiting, very healthy appetite. Good luck and please let us know how the kitty makes out.

Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply. It was a wealth of information.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
It is possible. Your SIL's mom may end up spending more money if it's the wrong kind of antibiotic or it isn't given correctly than she would just taking her to the vet in the first place. And the cat could continue to suffer or even get worse in the meantime.

I'm sure someone will come along and give you a website to look at soon.

Edited to add: Does the cat have a regular vet? Would it be possible for your SIL's mom to collect some urine to take it in and have the vet look at it? That way they will hopefully find out what they are dealing with without stressing out kitty. Many vets will do this if they have examined the pet at some point.

I'm not sure if the cat has a regular vet. I assumed not since she hasn't been in so long. How could she collect the urine at home? Doesn't the litter taint the sample? Curious...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats