Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 07:59 AM

244 posts, read 718,400 times

Advertisements

My husband and I closed on our house last monday and since then, we have ripped up carpet and are waiting on our flooring to arrive. For now we have set up the kitties room(one of two that still has carpet) with their condo and toys, etc. and they seem pretty content. For my question...Would you feel comfortable letting your cats out of the "safe" room to roam the house? My concern is for stray nails and/or pieces of construction material. Ella doesn't seem that interested in eating non food items, but Olive is a tad more curious about things. I just feel bad to keep them couped up. Our flooring probably won't be here until Thursday and not complete until next Tuesday/Wednesday. Advice appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 08:23 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,851,628 times
Mine stay in my bedroom 24/7 b/c they don't like the dogs bothering them. This hss been going on for about 18 months, since I got a new rambunctious guy. Since your kitties seem fine w/it, I would leave them there - better to be safe than sorry!

Old 01-05-2010, 09:47 AM

5,014 posts, read 10,702,253 times
I agree. It's better to be safe than sorry. Cats always seem to find hazardous materials, which are oftentimes things that we wouldn't even consider hazardous.
It isn't a very long time for them to be sequestered, especially if they have toys et al. to keep them occupied.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:48 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,149,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resilientsmile View Post
For now we have set up the kitties room(one of two that still has carpet) with their condo and toys, etc. and they seem pretty content.
Congrats with the new house.

As far as the cats know, all their things are in this nice room and life's good. As far as the human knows, there's a wee bit of guilt for feeling their "freedom" has been curtailed.

But the human also knows it's not a permanent state of affairs - it's only until it is safe. A matter of some days, 'tis all. In the larger scheme of things, but a mere drop in the bucket...

Here's a good question to ask yourself - which would you rather cope with: feeling a little guilty for locking them up temporarily OR an emergency trip to the vet because the cat ingested something it shouldn't have?

Old 01-05-2010, 10:12 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,496,489 times
When we had our home tiled, our cats were TERRIFIED for some reason. All the cutting and noisy stuff was done outside and they were in a room all to themselves.
The workers didn't leave any stuff around at the end of the work day so there was nothing for the cats to get into, HOWEVER they did remove the plastic thingies used to keep the tiles spaced.
Anyway... we ended up taking the cats to my mother's home.
The dogs couldn't have cared a less what was going on.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:16 AM

Thank you all for making me feel a little better. I just feel like a guilty overprotective mom right now. Hubby and I did take them around(while holding them) throughout the house and let them sniff around. Hmm...maybe that was a bad thing, not sure. I'm just so anxious to let them looose to run laps(this will be the biggest place we have lived in since we adopted them). Oh and the screen porch with all the lizards! It's gonna be exciting (for all of us)

Fivehorses- Thanks for the congrats! We have been living out of boxes since May..but it was worth the wait!

Old 01-05-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
When we had our home tiled, our cats were TERRIFIED for some reason. All the cutting and noisy stuff was done outside and they were in a room all to themselves.
The workers didn't leave any stuff around at the end of the work day so there was nothing for the cats to get into, HOWEVER they did remove the plastic thingies used to keep the tiles spaced.
Anyway... we ended up taking the cats to my mother's home.
The dogs couldn't have cared a less what was going on.

They do get spooked when we have a lot of people working on the house. Because it is all concrete and vaulted ceilings, it can get pretty noisy. We were painting outside their room over the weekedn and they started banging on the door trying to get out. Tile work IS really loud, I remember helping my parents with it when I lived at home. It was nice of your mom to watch them.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:23 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,329,324 times
I'd want to keep my cats safe. remods are not a good idea for cats to roam freely in. There's too much they can get into or even eat.

And since it's just for a short while your cats will be fine.

Good luck with the new home!

Old 01-05-2010, 10:26 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,496,489 times
Lizards... your new home DOES sound like it is going to be fun for ALL! Congrats.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:34 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,851,628 times
And remember when the workers are actually there, the cats have to go back to the room. It's better to not know the freedom of the house until they have it for good! At least IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats