Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 07:34 AM

2,480 posts, read 5,318,662 times

Advertisements

I feel sorry for the cat who is caught in the middle and is letting you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 08:24 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,408,854 times
I'm sitting here trying to think of ways to make life easier for you and therefore, better for the cat. You mentioned cleaning the litterbox a number of times...and it is a distasteful job...even for those who love cats.
An automatic litterbox sounds perfect for you! I only have expeirence with LitterMaids...you use a clumping litter, 10 min after the cat exits the box, a rake comes down and scoops the dirty litter into a holding tray. With one cat, you'd probably have to only empty the tray once a week or so (excuse me...your HUBBY would only have to empty the tray once a week) I have 2 of them and they are wonderful to have...and the cat always has a clean box.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:09 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,285,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
I'm sitting here trying to think of ways to make life easier for you and therefore, better for the cat. You mentioned cleaning the litterbox a number of times...and it is a distasteful job...even for those who love cats.
An automatic litterbox sounds perfect for you! I only have expeirence with LitterMaids...you use a clumping litter, 10 min after the cat exits the box, a rake comes down and scoops the dirty litter into a holding tray. With one cat, you'd probably have to only empty the tray once a week or so (excuse me...your HUBBY would only have to empty the tray once a week) I have 2 of them and they are wonderful to have...and the cat always has a clean box.
If you can recommend one that works, I will go out and buy one right now. My husband is leaving in an hour for business and will be gone M-F for the next 4 weeks, so I'm on my own here. I wanted to get one of those boxes, but he told me they don't work. There are several types that I've seen at our local stores. Which one do you have?

Old 02-16-2009, 10:48 AM

Littermaids are great in my book. You MUST use a clumping litter. Occasionally, the rake will get stuck with feces...but not very often. Do not buy the Elite model...not worth the money and I hated it. I ended up selling mine. I have 2 of the LitterMaid Megas.... I needed to buy the larger models since I have large oversize cats. The normal (and cheaper model) may be fine for your cat. Make sure you only fill the box to the red line...too much litter and the motor is not strong enough to push it all the way to the holding pan. You can buy extra pans just about anywhere...I usually use mine for a while...just dumping them each time and replacing the old one back in. Seems wasteful to use a new one each time.
Here is their website if your interested: Welcome to LitterMaid™

If you or the cat prefer a covered box...they do sell a tent that the box sits in.
Also...let the box sit without turning it on for a bit...don't want to scare the cat with the noise. I have trained young kittens with these boxes and never have had any problems. Need more info, just ask!

Old 02-16-2009, 04:44 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,285,482 times
Thanks so much for the info! We use Nature's Miracle clumping litter. Is that ok? Which do you use? We definitely need it to be covered, since it's in an area the dog can get to and while he doesn't seem too interested in her box, he might be tempted to sniff around if it's not covered.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:50 PM

The box comes with a list of "approved" litters...but I'm guessing Natures Miracle will be fine. It just has to clump enough for the rake to push into the tray.
Know what you mean about those prying dog noses!
They sell a tent...which is ok....but my big guys broke one of them...also they tend not to be that sturdy and the cats tried to jump on them. I ended up putting the LM in a big utility box bought from Home Depot and cutting a hole in the front...cats can lie ontop and dogs can't get into the litter. Works great for us and it sits in my utility room...also helps with the tracking of the litter!

PS...We use Tidy Cat

Old 02-16-2009, 05:06 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Just another two cents thrown in here but it seems that maybe the cat itself is less of a problem than the communication between you and your hubbie? Guess I've sort of addressed that before in a bit of a roundabout way but have to agree with DKVA's succinct post!

Many many years ago I accepted a marriage proposal from a delightful man. At that time I had two cats. A couple of weeks later as were planning the wedding he said, "Oh, so what are you going to do with the cats?"

"What?"

"Well, what are you going to do with the cats?"

"Um, well, they're part of the package so nothing is going to be 'done' with them. Is that a problem?"

Well it wasn't and we eventually ended up with a big horse farm, lots more cats and several dogs over several years. The marriage lasted for eight years and then at my behest went kerplunk which is a whole 'nother tale but has nothing to do with the animals to which he adapted and lived with remarkably well.

I guess my point is that where animals are concerned, you take them on for the duration of their lives and their presence in your life shouldn't be a chore but a blessing in a sense. The hapless cat obviously knows you don't care for it and is trying to change your mind. It's presence in your household is causing friction between you and your husband and the cat knows that damned well.

No new-tech litter box is going to solve the problem that you have. You need to sit down with your husband and have a really heart to heart and long-overdue discussion where this cat is concerned. Cheers!

Old 02-16-2009, 06:02 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,703,379 times
Your cat is a "talker". I had a Persian cat that used to talk, and people couldn't believe it. I got used to it, and learned to ignore it. I would be on the phone, and people would be like, "wow, I can hear your cat meowing," I was like, oh, yeh, whatever. But, it was kind of cute. He would meow on command sometimes, and I even had him on my answering machine with me. What was strange though, is that the vet said Persians almost never talk. I hope you don't get rid of your cat just because she talks, she may stop as she gets older too.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:21 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,178,279 times
My cats talk to me if they want something, or if I talk to them first. The cat has a lot to say, I guess. I don't think it would bother me unless it was a sound of distress. . I've had cats who were mor loquacious than the ones I have now.

Old 02-07-2016, 02:41 PM

1 posts, read 408 times
My Sphynx, Glitch meows all the time. I personally think it's the best. I feel like he is talking to Me and sharing his discoveries about life constantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats