Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 07:46 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatguywho View Post
what did the vet say?
She said there is nothing medically wrong with her. We're just the "lucky" owners of a cat that has a lot to say.

Duct tape...haven't thought of that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 10:40 PM

635 posts, read 1,686,681 times
Does she respond to noises without you in her being directly in her eyesight? Maybe partially deaf? Knows she's meowing but can't hear herself? Wait, what did the vet say?

Old 02-11-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justhere View Post
Does she respond to noises without you in her being directly in her eyesight? Maybe partially deaf? Knows she's meowing but can't hear herself? Wait, what did the vet say?
Oh, she can hear. Her recall is better than the dog's! I can be in another room, call her name, and she comes running! The vet said she's totally fine, so I guess we'll continue to have these conversations until she decides she has nothing more to say!

Old 02-11-2009, 12:35 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
I'm wondering if she is not craving some feline company. My son's Bengal did this until he finally broke down and got another Bengal...and there hasn't been a peep out of her since! She too had constant human companionship and enough toys to get her through weeks without ever touching the same one twice!
I have one who will walk around the house howling until he does find one of the other cats...then chirps at them like" where have you been"?

Old 02-11-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
I'm wondering if she is not craving some feline company. My son's Bengal did this until he finally broke down and got another Bengal...and there hasn't been a peep out of her since! She too had constant human companionship and enough toys to get her through weeks without ever touching the same one twice!
I have one who will walk around the house howling until he does find one of the other cats...then chirps at them like" where have you been"?
No more cats for us!!! Ever. It's my husband who was dead set on getting the cat, even after I fought him because I knew who would be taking care of it. Guess who bathes her (she needs weekly baths), cleans her ears and cleans the litter box? Yup, me. I'm sure she would benefit from a playmate, but I really don't want to be cleaning twice the poop.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:02 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,449,461 times
Some cats have more to talk about then others. Sometimes they like to walk around muttering to themselves. My Einstein is a cat of few words, but what he does say is usually pithy and poignant.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:14 PM

276 posts, read 1,135,984 times
my cat has started to become a chatterbox lately. she has been 'talking' and 'giving lectures' all week!!!

Old 02-12-2009, 08:31 PM

659 posts, read 1,759,657 times
Several of the responders on this board really enjoy their little furry talkers, but if you are really serious about needing the vocalization to stop, I would do 2 things:

1. Probe the medical issue further - hyperthyroid cats will have increased vocalizations. Ask your vet to run a complete thyroid panel (it will be expensive).
2. If the thyroid panel comes back normal - use corrective action to stop the behavior - shake a can of pennies everytime your kitty meows, or use a spray bottle to spray water in her face.

I also wouldn't talk back to her until the behavior is under control. I've read several articles about studies that indicate that most housecats learn to vocalize from their humans. Feral cats only vocalize during fights, mating or if injured. Research suggests its actually all the talking people who teach their little furry ones to talk back.

I hope everything works out.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:32 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinitegirl View Post
Several of the responders on this board really enjoy their little furry talkers, but if you are really serious about needing the vocalization to stop, I would do 2 things:

1. Probe the medical issue further - hyperthyroid cats will have increased vocalizations. Ask your vet to run a complete thyroid panel (it will be expensive).
2. If the thyroid panel comes back normal - use corrective action to stop the behavior - shake a can of pennies everytime your kitty meows, or use a spray bottle to spray water in her face.

I also wouldn't talk back to her until the behavior is under control. I've read several articles about studies that indicate that most housecats learn to vocalize from their humans. Feral cats only vocalize during fights, mating or if injured. Research suggests its actually all the talking people who teach their little furry ones to talk back.

I hope everything works out.
What an interesting come-back! I'm sorry but that goes SO way over my head. Cats are animals, humans are animals and I'm trying to figure out here some sort of correlation between your cat talking to you and your SO or BFF or relative other or whatever nattering on so you have them tested for thyroid problems?

Come on, girl! And of course lots of people talk to their pets and their pets "learn" to talk back. What's new about that? Believe it or not, horses, dogs, goats and a whole bunch of other animals also "talk" to their caretakers.

I would never dream of shaking pennies or using sprays to deter any of my cats from talking and I've been a cat person for close to 60 years now. The more they talk the more I understand them and the more I listen. Cheers!

Old 02-14-2009, 08:23 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,449,461 times
My cat has a well developed dialog. He can put together entire phrases, such as:

"Where's my food?"

"Food bowl empty!"

"Are you going to feed me or not?"

"Leave the door to the bathroom open!"

"Leave all doors open!"

"Why is this door closed?"

"Lift up the covers so I can get under them, too, please."

"Lift up the covers, so I can get out. I want out."

"Covers up again, please."

"Oh, you're home?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats